User Assumptions Summary

William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Aug 2000 12:21:52 +0100

I asked CHI-WEBers to let me know if they shared Garvan Walshe's assumptions
that the term "user" implies use with a purpose and that it precludes
pleasurable experience. Garvan has provided me with some clarification of
his views, but as I understand it his arguments are based primarily on the
meaning of the word "use". I personally don't think that most of us have
this in mind when we talk about users. The handful of other replies that I
have received appear to bear this out. Some respondents also express dismay
that we should be arguing about what to call users instead of spreading the
benefits of HCI and usability to the design community!

Finally, just to repeat my own view, shared by several others in postings to
the list:

- Refer to "users" when there is no role-specific term or roles are not
appropriate.

BTW, I would avoid "actor" at all costs since it has a very specific meaning
in use cases and is *either* a human or another system.

The text of the responses I received follow (approximately in order of
receipt).

Please do feel free to take issue with and debate anything included (or
omitted!) from this summary.

Regards,

William Hudson
Syntagm Ltd
Design for Usable Systems
Tel +44 (1235) 522859
Fax +44 (1235) 554449
Web www.syntagm.co.uk
VCard www.syntagm.co.uk/whudson.vcf

----------

To clarify my assumptions:

I assume that implicit in the word "use" is the preposition "to". For
instance, I use my toaster to make toast (and occasionally self-administer
electric shocks while trying to get irregularly shaped slices of bread out
of it).

Teleology  is crucial to use.  One cannot use something in the abstract, and
even if it appears as if one is doing that ("I'm using this hammer") that's
because it's easier to say "I'm using this hammer", not "I'm using this
hammer to nail thse two planks together". The context is always there, we
just keep it hidden most of the time.

Occasionally however, the context isn't appropriate. To  oversimplify,
there are two types of sites on the Web, those that are meant to be used,
and those that are meant to be enjoyed. Yahoo is a very obvious example of
the first, and eneri.net comes to mind as one of the second.

I'd be curious to know if anyone actually *enjoys* using Yahoo (say) and
equally curious for someone to explain to me how to  *use* eneri.net

I suppose C P Snow's two cultures come to mind. But in reality, most
websites are made up of both, and I am arguing that the word "user" means we
neglect the second because of the linguistic baggage the word comes with.

Garvan Walshe [[log in to unmask]]

----------

I think the only sensible term is "user". All the other suggested terms
narrow the field.

We are a relatively scientific group, after all, and this is not the time or
place to worry about offence caused by varying lay interpretations of the
terms of the trade. (Although unless these are well-documented disagreement
will be inevitable.) Diplomacy through terminology is best left to
politicians, and deserves the cynicism with which it is normally met. A rose
by any other name still has thorns.

francois jordaan, designer [[log in to unmask]]
pres.co, 85 clerkenwell road, london ec1R 5ar
tel: +44 (020) 7831 3630 ext.459 fax: +44 (020) 7831 0181

----------

I would assume that a user is someone interacting with a site. That
interaction might be:

1) intentional (a planned visit to accomplish some task),
2) incidental (the user happened on the site while looking for something
else), or
3) simple curiosity (they heard mention of the site, or did a search just
for fun).

That a user would not "experience pleasure" while using the site never
crossed my mind. "User" is fine with me.  I suppose one could say
"interacter," but that's pretty cumbersome and psychological-sounding.

(Perhaps some don't like "user" because it is also used in the illicit drug
trade.)   :-)

Deborah A. Sleight, PhD
Assistant Professor
Office of Medical Education Research and Development
College of Human Medicine
A-206 East Fee Hall
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
(517) 353-9656 (voice)
(517) 353-3146 (fax)
www.msu.edu/unit/omerad/
www.msu.edu/~sleightd/

----------

I was about to reply, for the first time to this list, on that topic as
those assumptions just triggered a strong reaction in me. Who says site
visitors have no purpose or task? This implies a VERY narrow view of task.
If one excludes browsing, enjoyment, information exploration, gathering
etc. from the legititmate category of tasks a user can perform, then there
is truly very little task behaviour in a lot of sites. However, a task
is defined by a user, it is a purpose, a reason for interacting, and if it
is informal, casual, ill-structured, of limited or extended duration with
no fixed goal, so be it. Unless we imagine users randomly access our sites
because they sit in fornt of a computer, and have no choice in the matter,
then the notion of task is somewhat unavoidable.

As for pleasure...oh dear.....again, the straw man argument about
usability being all about work completion. Lots of technology gives me
lots of pleasure, and that is a major determinant in my choice of it - my
car, my hifi, my computer....all give me functional capabilities, AND a
lot of pleasure. I will reject technlogy for aesthetic reasons too. As a
user of laptop technology I chose a Mac for a variety of reasons, and I
get lots of pleasure from its design.

Andrew Dillon [[log in to unmask]]

----------

Many people probably do, but there is a deeper point here.

His assumptions are those that might be made by people working in usability
/ user experience design / HCI / call it what you will. But for all its
faults, most of these folks know prefectly well what we mean by user.

The question should be about how our clients interpret our vocabulary.

All of the clients I meet have none of Garvan's assumptions. But then none
of them have ever expressed a problem with user-centred design.

Customer-centered design seems like a very different thing - and for many
products it is actually a different thing, since the purchaser is not always
the user.

But then frequently the end-user is not the only user (installers,
maintainers, etc). If you design a website for a corporate intranet the
information maintainers are probably more important users than the end users
- but who is the customer?

Personally I think we could waste a lot of energy on this debate focusing on
our own interpretation of a short word, where we need to focus our energies
on our client's interpretations of the value of what we actually deliver.

David Gilmore [[log in to unmask]]

----------

Consider this a hearty second (or forty-second) to your statement below.
Very well put.

        >I use the term "user" to mean someone who is interacting
(pleasurably or
        otherwise) with the system under consideration, whether it be a web
site,
        video game or toaster.

Susan Price
Website Producer, USAA Internet Content Management
Phone: 210.913.5861
USAA is a separate, nonsentient entity, and doesn't always concur with my
opinions.

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html