CHI-WEB November 2000, Week 2

banner ads summary

victoria jack <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:05:06 +0000

Thanks to each of you that helped on the Banner Advertising subject.
Please see digest of responses below.

Links
http://www.o-a.com/
http://www.doubleclick.com

A comical look at the worst ever site
http://www.ecnet.net/users/gas52r0/Jay/
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/business/A28702-2000Oct27.html

Banner location/statistics:
http://www.webreference.com/dev/banners/side.html
http://websnapshot.mycomputer.com/browsers.html
http://www.adage.com
http://www.emarketer.com
http://www.adrelevance.com (or was it .net?)
http://www.mbinteractive.com

Ulf Mohager

I don't have any statistical information, but in the user tests of
Internet and intranet sites I have conducted, almost no one ever notice
or click on a
banner.This could of course to some extent be due to the fact that the
tests are regularly set up with tasks, and in a free exploration mode
maybe (and that is really maybe) they would click on them. If they would
happen to see them.

However, I have to admit that I cannot recall any of the tasks being to
find information "hidden" behind a banner. If there would have been such
a task, of course there would be a more "real" proof.  I have also done
some site statistics analysis, but cannot recall ever seeing a banner as
being in the top 30 or however many the stats usually show.  As for my
personal behaviour, I totally ignore them.

Richard Tribe

It is not clear if your client wants to buy banner advertising or wants
to incorporate banners on his site to sell. If it is the latter, and you
expect your clients site to be sufficiently  busy and attractive to
advertisers then put banners on the site - they don't work that well
really but advertisers are still two years away from not wanting to buy
them and all revenue is good revenue. Farm out the  selling of your ad
inventory to one of the Networks (247, Doubleclick,  Engage etc)  If
your client wants to advertise his site by buying banners on other
peoples site then the answer is still yes - so long as you purchase
smartly  and consider your entire banner budget carefully against other
methods of promoting the site.  Banners should be well down the list of
effective use of your budget. The thing to note about banners is that it
has evolved into acommodity brand advertising product because that is
what advertisers like to buy from years of TV/Radio/Press ad purchasing.

The following is an extract from a Banner Tutorial for first time banner
advertisers I wrote some time back.  "Now that the big global
advertising agencies have invaded the Internet an extremely important
aspect of banner advertising has been muddied and mostly lost by ad men
coming from the traditional mediums;  Banners are nothing more than a
standard hypertext link that takes up large areas of screen space with
fancy art work. Banners are not Press, TV or Radio ads using
interruption, entertainment and cleaver imagery to stimulate emotions.
It is critical to understand that banners must abide by  the same rules
as an effective link does. Like links, banners must provide some
understanding of where one will end up as well as explain why the
arrival page is of relevance to the audience. Chew  the cud on this
point for a while as it is important.
Would you request a link to your snow sport site from a web site about
tropical fish keeping? Probably not. And for the same reason your banner
should appear on the pages of a site where it has strong context and
relevance to the audience. A good exercise is to ask yourself if you
would pay good money for a five word link instead of a banner and if so
what would those five words be and where on the proposed site would you
put the link and where  on your site would you link that banner to? The
answer should drive your banner design and campaign implementation.

Banners are links and most banners (designed and run by traditional ad
men) are just bad links and that is the fundamental usability problem of

banners. Consequently consumers mostly ignore banners because they;
a) Are often irrelevant and out of context with why they are at the
particular site;
b) Have learned to not trust banners - if you click you will just as
often end up at a stupid page or have to fill out a big subscribe form
to get to the content - they waste your time.
c) All commercial sites have put banner in the "Header" space (because
that is what advertisers demand thinking that "top of the page is best
for my
brand") and so consumer have subconsciously learned to ignore that space
because it has no function or content relevant to the site.

The above reasons (and more) are why banner click-thru rates (CTR) are
in  sharp decline and will probably level out at about 0.03 to 0.02%.
Now if a
home page has less than 100 links on it - of which one is an advertising
banner and the banner gets 0.02% CTR, statistically you know that the
banner is one of the least appealing links on the home page.  Why  would
you pay big dollars for that?

Cara Corey

I don't have any information about the usability (or lack thereof) of
banner  ads, personally, there is no design element that I hate more. As
a user, I  find
them irritating and offensive (equivalent to telemarketers who call me
at dinnertime).

Bill Miller

Just How 'Blind' Are We to Advertising Banners on the Web?
http://wsupsy.psy.twsu.edu/surl/usabilitynews/2S/banners.htm

Miriam Frost

I think I was conflating the e-commerce sites that were heavily fined
for fraud when they failed to fulfill orders as soon as thay had
promised last  holiday with the Toysmart case (link below) but you
certainly could make the argument that information collected by
DoubleClick would violate any decent privacy policy....
http://www.sandia.gov/itg/newsletter/dec98/banner_blindness.html  is an
interesting article that applies to plain old design, as well. It seems
that people recognize ads as ads, and scan right past them without
reading. The problem, though, is that neither of our clients care about
the results, per se -- just whether or not they can get the cash for the
real estate.

http://www.house.gov/green/nr101300.htm  is a bill introduced recently
to strengthen consumer privacy on the internet.  You might use this to
convince
them that it's better to wait and see what happens than to go ahead with
it, and then spend a lot of time and money un-doing it.

http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2000/07/10/technology/toysmart/index.htm is about
toysmart.com, who tried to sell their customer database as a bankruptcy
asset
against their privacy policy and got hit by the Federal Trade
Commission.

Paola

From a usability point of view, the 10K of the banner graphicwill likely
slow down display of the pages on the site making the site less likely
to be explored. The animation will distract visitors away from the site
content and the banner will just add visual clutter.  As you probably
know, somepeople avoid sites with banner ads on (there's software
available which will prevent ads from being displayed).

If he wants to place ads on other sites to get more traffic I can't find
it now but there was an article about Orange in _Revolution_ magazine a
year or two ago.  Orange compared new business through placed banner ads
and through sponsored content and found that the sponsoring content was
30% more successful (and of higher quality).  I've also clipped an
article from _The Industry Standard_ (Sep 2000) which is about other
ways to make money from your web site content such as sponsoring or
selling content).

Marc Resnick

There was just a paper presented on this at the Human Factors conference
in August.  I don't have the exact reference, but it should be easy to
find.

Rakhi

Benway, J. P. (1998). Banner blindness: The irony of attention grabbing
on the World Wide Web. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics
Society 42nd Annual Meeting, 1, 463-467.

Susie Robson

I don't have any statistics but you may want to look at Jared Spool's
web site as he has done some studies and found that some people
literally cover up the banners with their hands so they don't have to
look at it. The problem with these banners is that it attracts the
attention of the eyes and no matter how hard you try to read the content
of the site, your eyes keepfloating up to the banner. Yeah, I know
that's what some of the intent is, but if users don't get around to the
content of your site, they won't beback.  Anyway, Jared's web site is
http://www.uie.com.Good luck. (Personal opinion--hate those banners and
try my hardest not to look at them).

Mark Gardner

Have you seen the article in the August 2000 issue of Cre@te Online
magazine regarding banner ads.  May give you a lead to more info
http://www.createonline.co.uk

--
vic jack
interaction designer