CHI-WEB November 2000, Week 3

Macromedia Flash Usability Tips

William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Nov 2000 14:26:42 -0000

Posted on behalf of Erik Larson at Macromedia
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]:

----------

Hi Everybody,

I've been following this list along with several of my colleagues here
at Macromedia for the past few months, particularly the (rather long ;-)
string of Flash-related posts. I thought you might be interested to see
an early draft version of our Top 10 Tips for Flash Usability that we
plan to promote to the 500,000+ Flash developers around the world.

We are intensely focused on our customers' needs, and are very
interested to hear your feedback concerning these tips. We believe Flash
can be used to create outstanding user experiences, and that guidance
like these tips will help designers to find their own balance of art and
engineering while still being free to innovate and explore this evolving
medium.

What do you think?

I recommend that you reply directly to me, [log in to unmask], so we
don't overwhelm Keith and William with another flood of Flash posts ;-).
I will then post a summary of the responses.

Thanks for the excellent discussion!

Cheers,

Erik

Macromedia Top 10 Tips for Flash Usability

1. Allow a skip intro or avoid intro movies all together
If an intro is imperative, always provide users the opportunity to skip
them, or provide alternative access to your homepage. Consider setting a
client-side JavaScript cookie so that the second time a user hits the
page it will automatically skip the animation and provide a link on the
destination page allowing the user the opportunity to play the intro
again. Alternatively, include the intro movie as a component of the
homepage, and load it after primary site navigation and key home page
content has downloaded.

2. Don't Overuse Animation
Avoid using unnecessary animations. The best animations reinforce the
sites goals, tell a story or aid in navigation. Avoid repeated
animations on pages with a lot of text as animation distracts the
peripheral vision and pulls the eye away from the purpose or message of
the page.

3. Remember User Goals and Expectations
Users typically come to a site with an end-goal or expectation in mind.
Organize and describe your content so that each click meets their
expectations and leads them towards their goal. When streaming your
site, make sure that the key navigation links appear first, in case the
user wants to get to another area in the site. Emulating common GUI
elements will increase usability.

4. Remember the Site Goals
Design the site according to the business or client goals. Create a site
that communicates an effective message and promotes a brand while
enabling the user quickly achieve their goals. Beware of structuring
your site around internal company structures. Think of the reasons a
user is coming to your site and structure your site's content
accordingly.

5. Be Consistent
Strive to create visual continuity through language and design. For
example, use Smart Clips to create reusable interactive elements
throughout the site. On destination pages, re-use words and images from
initial navigation links.

6. Provide Clear Navigation and Interactivity
Create a clear navigation path through your site. Remind the user of
past locations through a visual change that potentially guides them to
the next logical step. Always provide the user with an easy exit and a
link to return to their start position for major sections of the site.
Utilize Flash's streaming capability to display primary site navigation
first and remember, the browser Back Button is not an acceptable means
of primary navigation. Create buttons with well-defined hit areas. Avoid
designing hidden navigation that is only apparent once the user has
triggered an event--users should always know where they are going and
why they are clicking.

7. Size Matters - Optimize for Low-Bandwidth Delivery
Target an initial screen download to be no more than 40k in memory size
or less, including all Flash files, HTML and images; of course, the
smaller the download, the better. If you expect your user to wait,
provide them a load time sequence with a progress indicator and strive
to load navigation first, within 5 seconds if possible. To reduce
download time use vector based images, which are lower in memory size
than bitmap images. However, complex bitmaps are better off left as
bitmap files.

8. Use Sound Sparingly
The user experience should benefit from sound, but not depend on it. For
example, sound can be used to indicate that the user just triggered an
event on the site. Always provide volume and/or on/off controls on
screen when audio is part of the site experience and remember that sound
significantly increases file size.

9. Design for Accessibility
Make sure that your content is available to all users of your site,
particularly those with disabilities. To aid the use of reading
assistive devices, provide highly descriptive Alternate Tags throughout
the site. The magnifying Smart Clip for zooming is another Flash feature
that easily enhances the user experience.

10. Test Your Site for Usability
Have someone with "fresh eyes" test drive the site. Make sure your user
is able to understand the site and accomplish the expected goals. To
analyze how well your site will perform over various bandwidths, use the
built-in Bandwidth Profiler located in the View menu in Test Movie mode.
Remember that even compact Flash animations consume bandwidth and can
delay or distract users from reaching their end-goals. Re-test the site
often, even when small changes are made. As much as possible, make sure
that your test audience matches a the demographic of your anticipated
viewing audience, especially if the anticipated audience contains a
variety of comfort levels with site navigation.

Erik Larson Product Manager
Macromedia
"What the Web Can Be"

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html