Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  January 2001, Week 3

CHI-WEB January 2001, Week 3

SUMMARY: project management on quality of web project?

Eric Scheid <[log in to unmask]>

Eric Scheid <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:59:40 +1100

I asked:

>I'm looking for resources on the specific issues involving *Project
>Management* of web development projects, including issues related to
>outsourcing the development (as opposed to inhouse development), with
>main interest on those issues that impact on the quality of work chi-web
>people produce.

First -- thanks to everyone for your input! Some thoughtful dialogues
ensued offline, and a neat collection of links too. Consensus seems to be
that proper managment is *essential* for project success, but improper
management will nonetheless drive the project off the rails.

Interesting Links
Battle of the disciplines
     <http://www.interactionarchitect.com/>

Keep it Simple - a strategy to keep your project manageable
     <http://www.internetday.com/archives/060100.html>

Lots of good thinking here, plus more links elsewhere
     <http://www.interfacility.com/>

Extensive collaborative commentary, includes list of how PM goes bad
     <http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ProjectManagement>

For the Project Management Junkie
     <http://www.gantthead.com/>

Full text of replies received follow:
From: Rita Richardson

I believe the biggest problem i in our office is that the marketers are
the ones dealing with the clients, and they don't understand what the
programming dept. has to go through to tailor a project to the client's
needs, or the time constraints involved. The interface designers are then
stuck in the middle, trying to stay in the programmers' good graces,
while still attempting to meet unrealistic deadlines placed upon the
marketers by the equally technically uneducated clients (in most cases).

I'm sure this is all too common.

From: Annie Rex

One of the best resources I've found for all thing PM related is
<http://www.gantthead.com/>. Good luck!

From: arnold baker

In my experience, its not so much about outsourcing vs. doing it
in-house. Sometimes contractors are better; sometimes they aren't.

The key question is whether the work is done on-site or off-site. Every
project I've worked on was plagued by changes in requirements throughout
the project. This is a natural part of building a website: new people
come onboard with new ideas, management must find a new business plan
after the market crashes, etc. The key is to figure out what's going on
as soon as possible, so you can change direction accordingly. And impact
that direction early on in the process.

So the 'management issue' is communication, inclusion, team-building.

From: Sharon Stanners

You might check out the book Secrets of Successful Web Sites: Project
Management on the World Wide Web, by David Siegel.  I have only read
parts of the book, so can't recommend it with complete confidence, but it
seems to address some of the issues you are interested in. The first half
of the book describes case studies of web projects and with instances of
problems, successes and failures.  The second half is more tactical and
describes project management techniques.

From: Kimberly Hopkins

Look at <http://www.interactionarchitect.com/> for battle of the
disciplines and the effect on web design.

From: Edwin W. Smith

I don't know if this is on topic, but here's a basic article I wrote some
time ago about the topic in general.
<http://www.internetday.com/archives/060100.html>

There's lots of unsaid detail, of course, related to financial and
political constraints the PM would have to deal with which the creative
contributors probably wouldn't like. Also, I didn't mention doing a SWOT
analysis (Internal website project issues of Strength and Weaknesses and
the external project issues of Opportunities and Threats).

From: Loren Phillips

"it only works when the project manager fully understands the
technology".  Regretfully, that seems to be rare.  ;-)

From: Marijke Rijsberman

Under management activities I include such things as management of
client expectations; client communications; user research planning
and execution; test plans (QA and usability) and user acceptance
criteria; resource management; coordination and collaboration among
UI teams (info architects, graphic designers, tool jocks), development
teams, QA teams, server ops teams and support teams; management of
the design process in relation to strategy and user research results;
evangelizing; requirements analysis; billing/budget management; schedule
management; planning and execution of training and support; risk
assessment and management; defining reporting requirements and
configuring reporting tools; planning and writing of documentation,
user manuals, content developer guidelines, coding and image handling
standards, etc.; writing of SLAs; specifying and setting up the search
catalogs; defining and managing permissions in a distributed publishing
environment -- to mention a bunch of miscellaneous items that are likely
to arise at some point in most projects. (Of course, I realize that
in situations where parts of the project are carried out by vendors,
the vendors never have to deal with the total complexity of the
project -- that doesn't mean it's not for real.)

But vendor situation or not, once you get cracking, the distinction
between managing and doing starts to vanish, and the distinction
between planning and executing also gets pretty vague in very short
order. You can't manage things well unless you are part of the doing
in one way or another. You can't execute worth a damn without careful
planning. And as with rapid prototyping and wireframing, you're best
off if you go from concept to implementation in gradual steps for
most of the components of a complex project. (And in my projects,
things always go best if all team members are willing to participate
in management as well as execution.)

I've become convinced that it doesn't make sense to try to practice
"usability" or "information architecture" or "user research" as a
"pure" discipline. Either you're managing the process, relating these
items to the total context (including obstructive managers, budget
restrictions, resource shortages, market peculiarities, as well as
the folks we care about the most: real people with real desires and
understandings of what they need and want out of a product or service).
Or you're simply not doing a very good job.

From: Danca, Richard

Short answer to your question: Without *some* kind of project management,
do you think anyone would ever freeze the code or launch the site? People
seem to understand that "Lather, rinse, repeat" isn't an endless loop
when it comes to shampoo, but I'm not so sure they agree when it comes to
web sites.

On the other hand, of course, if you spend 10 hours a week at project
management meetings and have x number of new layers to deal with or hoops
to jump through (including reporting), when do you ever get to -- never
mind finish -- your real work?

From: Marijke Rijsberman

If you want your projects to be successful, you cannot make a clear
distinction between managing and "doing" a project. This means that
managers (of whatever stripe) need to be involved in the doing, and that
the implementers need to be part of the management activities. People who
are not ready to do both are ballast on a team. What distinguishes the
managers from other team members is that team members have deep,
specialized expertise in a few things and the manager needs (besides the
deep expertise in a few things) the ability to bring all the pieces of
the puzzle together and translate for the folks who are not intimately
involved in the project.

And to get bolder still: perhaps that's why so many projects fail. In my
definition of failure I include
- premature termination of the relationships between vendors and client
- delivery of sub-standard work
- flaming goats
- users simply don't care for the results
- users can't figure out how to use the results
- client starts taking apart ("great") design work two months after launch
- law suits
- project costs ruin the client's business
- project costs ruin the vendor's business
- lack of agreement causes compromises nobody is happy with
- project results are non-strategic, ie irrelevant to client's business
- code is unmanageable in a distributed environment

From: vic jack

Great book called Managing Multimedia by Elaine England & Andy Finney.

     Project Management for Interactive Media
     ISBN: 020-136-058-6
     http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201360586/ironcladnetworks

Management issues occur when they are working on behalf of the client
without fully understanding the implications of  the project.  This book
is a good way for PMs to schedule and understand the requirements of the
client and the studio.

From: Anonymous Donor

An increasing number of people getting in on the internet industry
(e-commerce, etc.) don't know very much about it and are totally clueless
with regard to software development cycles.  Yes, having to deal with
totally clueless people who jump in Internet or software companies
because of they think it's hype creates the most difficulties in our line
of work.

[log in to unmask]                 i r o n c l a d   n e t w o r k s
information designer                       http://www.ironclad.net.au/

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html