SUMMARY [testing e-brokerage sites] --- very long ----

Steffen Büffel <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:50:29 +0100

A while ago I asked the list if anyone had experience in testing
e-brokerage/ e-banking sites.

In this email:

   1. my original message with comments by myself
   2. comments from the list on:

       2.1 finding good users
       2.2 technical-terms
       2.3 test with users real accounts
       2.4 trust

   3. final comments

1. Here is a part of my original message:

 >Does anyone on the list have experience in testing e-brokerage/
 >e-banking sites? I'm about to conduct a study of three major German
 >e-brokerage/ e-banking websites and it seems to me that testing sites of
 >this kind is much more difficult (or should I say complex) than testing
 >"regular" e-commerce sites.

I ended up testing five German e-brokerage websites and droppped the
banking sites. Now that I have done the testing it isn't really "much
more difficult" to test those kind of sites. I mean it could be more
complex if you really test all the nice little chart-drawing gadgets and
so on but I found that the sites I have tested had so many "surface
problems" usability-wise that I didn't even get to test high end
features. It wouldn't have made any sense to push users to try all these
tools if the site doesn't even allow easy registration.

Some of my concerns in my original posting were...

 >1. it is hard to find good users
 >2. it is hard to learn all the tech-terms (the sites are in German
language but a lot of "Jinglish" (German-English word inventions) is used.
 >3. it is hard to get users to use their own accounts (I guess I
wouldn't do it either)

ad 1. actually it wasn't hard to find "good" users. I posted an email
message over the emailserver of my university and got overwealming
feedback. Of course I had to "sort out" almost all of the students that
replied since clients usually don't like students as testers. I ended up
testing with 8 users (7 men, average age: 42).

ad 2. it wasn't necessary to learn the tech-terms. If there was a
tech-term or a "jinglish" wordinventions I asked the standard question
what the user expected behind the link or what he would guess if he/she
had now clue. All of the sites had glossary or help index which
explained terms like IPO etc. and I asked the users to read the
explanation and then tell me if the information was helpful or not.

ad 3. Actually the quesiotn is not if you get users to use their own
accounts or not. The question is if you as the usability expert see the
need and have the right to do that (You don't!). I decided to test only
sites that the users either didn't know or doesn't have an account with.
Instead I asked them to "take a look around" and then try to find a way
to open their own portfolio fo instance. SInce this demanded them to put
in some personal info like email address, their name etc. it was good
strategy what the users did. I wanted to find out if they use fake info
(2 of them did) or if they hesitated (4 of them did) or if they filled
in the info right away (2 of them did). I got extremely interessting
comments at this point on how much "initial trust" people give to a
site. One of the core findings of my study is that there is a very tight
relationship between usability-issues and trust.

Which leads me to the last part of my original posting:

 >Especially I'm interested in the question of trust that is involved when
 >users do their banking/ "brokering" online. Does anyone have suggestions
 >on how to create good test tasks to get information on why/ why not
 >users give their trust when using those kinds of sites?

It was surprisingly easy to get users make comments on trust and
security issues. In 6 of 8 cases I didn't even have to find good test
tasks that pointed them into the trust direction. Since trading stocks
is a risky thing in itself and demands a lot of trust in companies
people where already framed in the right area which made them say very
interesting things regarding stock trading online.

2. Comments from the list
-------------------------

First of all THANKS for the many very helpful and interessting hints and
comments.

2.1 finding good users
----------------------
- I tested an (American)  investment site recently in San Francisco with
two groups - professional investment managers and individual investors.
I had the recruiting done by a professional recruiting firm and I was
very happy with the results.  The key is probably writing a good
screener.  Besides screening for portfolio size, number of trades per
annum etc. we queried on the users' degree of autonomy in making
investment decisions.

- Getting good users - Yes this is a problem on many projects I find, but we
were lucky to have several hundred developers and bank staff (it was one of
the largest e-commerce projects in Europe at the time) so after pilot
testing with some internal people, I asent a site-wide email asking if
anyone had friends or family who would like to articipate in the usability
tests (and get paid for it).  Also in the email was a little screener
questionnaire for potential subjects asking 4 questions about their
experience using the web, buying over the web, and banking share dealing
over the web.  The response was fantastic - within a week I had about 100
people and their experience, preferred testing times (usually evenings)
contact details etc.  Then as I did each test I mentioned to the subject if
they knew other people who would like to do it let them know.  A mini-viral
campaign.
The screener was useful to ensure we were getting a roughly balanced set of
users.

- users should not be hard to find.  Can the bank recruit them for
you?  Maybe they can cold-call a list of their "elite" or "preferred"
customers on your behalf.  Or, you could put up adverts in the paper or
in bank branches that announce a brief overview of your study, with the
dates and contact information.  You'll definitely want the bank's
permission for that, however.  Depending on the goals of your study, you
may want to recruit only customers who use the current site frequently,
or perhaps a mix  of frequent users and novices.

- E-Banking usually has a wide target customer base (one client's target
market is 'everybody'). So for web and the application design this is very
demanding.

2.2 technical-terms
-------------------
- I was surprised (as was my client) at the degree to which users knew
the  terminology, or were able to pick it up from context. Only English
was used  on the site.

- (I didn't know where to put this comment, well, but i put it here...) E-Banking systems are obviously more application like and in the XML future will become even more so.

2.3 test with users real accounts
---------------------------------
- I wouldn't try it, for liability reasons.

- Data for testing - you definitely can not have people use their own accounts
- we had the edevelopment team create a series of dummy accounts.  Since the
main purpose of the tests was to see if people could find info & navigate,
the actual numbers didn't matter much.

- If I were designing the test, I might give the participants accounts to use
so that they're not using their own money.  If the participant currently has
an account at the site and has used it, I might also run part of the test as
"reminiscence".  I would ask them to log on to the account, then repeat for
me the last thing they remember doing with it.  Tell them to go ahead and
spend money if that's what they did.  Try to get them to show you anyplace
where they got nervous or reluctant.

- I have tested several bank-related sites, and one word of advice is to
never, ever use "live" accounts.  No user will ever want to risk playing
with their real money like that, not to mention that some people feel
that financial statements are very personal and private.That said, you
should certainly replicate as much functionality as you can.
Maybe you can work with the bank to set up a false account,
(making sure that it is flagged as such for any employees who see it).
Have all the test participants use that false account.  You could
probably work with the client to set up certain boundaries-the account
has, for example, 500 dollars in it and the tasks will be to check the
account balance, transfer money from checking into savings, etc.  If you
go through this with the client, you can set it up so that the account
won't let the user do anything that is not on the task list.  If you
cannot set up a false account on their database, can you quickly create
a static html prototype?  What are your exact goals for the study?  If
it is mainly about the trust issue, an HTML prototype that is somewhat
faithful to the actual site in terms of look and feel may do the trick.
If you are testing the functionality, using the real site (with fake
information) may be better.

2.4 trust
---------
- The best trust info we got was spontaneous - for example, when users
noticed a familiar logo or brand they often said something to the
effect  of, "Oh, I know them...this must be legit."

- Trust - this was informally tested by asking users things like ' what do you
think of that' after they go to or comment on , say, the security pages.
This could be captured in post task questionnaires as well.

- One thing you can do to find out how much the participants "trust" the
site is to provide a short, written questionnaire after the session.  Or
just ask them!  Come up with a few specific questions and ask them
during the post-session debrief period.

- Biggest requirement is any testing for banking systems with their
customers is Security. Data has to be 100% secure.

- Careful Questionnaire phrasing pre test can help but a post testing
Questionnaire is important to get the 'subtleties' of the brand experience.

- Basic functionality problems such as login pop-ups not sizing correctly
or customers double clicking to send two transactions are the easiest
difficulties to find and solve. The psychology behind the actions is more
complex.

3. final comments

My original message contained a p.s. which asked if Competence Center e-Business (ceb) sounded odd to native speakers of English. Actually a got even more comments on my p.s. than on my e-brokerage question. :) For those of you who replied tzo this part opf my posting, here is an explaination:

First of all I know that Competence Center e-Business sounds odd. I have been living in the States for quite some time and think that I have a good "feeling" for the correctness of English phrases. The CEB is a universoty based research and consulting group that focusses on usability and trust issues in e-business. The German version of Competence Center (Kompetenzzentrum) is very widely used term and has a well established meaning in our language. The big mistake was to think that translating a German term into English also translates exactly the same meaning. Well, it doesn't. I tried to convince people that maybe it would better to call it think tank or Center of Excellence of simply Reserach Center/ Group. But since I'm a "only" student and research assistant with the CEB noone listened to me. As a little revenge :-) I passed on the comments that I have received from the list to the CI-department....

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html