SUMMARY: Reviews of Tufte's Courses

Leslie Carter <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:42:23 -0400

QUESTION

I posted the following question yesterday:  If you have attended any of
Edward Tufte's courses like  "Presenting Data & Information" please send me
your review.  (He's the author of three
well-known books: Visual Explanations : Images and Quantities, Evidence and
Narrative, Envisioning Information, & The Visual Display of Quantitative
Information).

A number from 1-5 would be great where 1 = total waste of time; 5 =
absolutely required for professionals in information design.

>> AVERAGE RATING <<

4.1 (on scale of 1-5, 5 best; total of 35 responses)

COMMENTS FOLLOW

Although I'm a huge Tufte fan, I was most disappointed by his course and
felt it was a total waste of time (score = 1). He reviews (verbatim)
examples from the text, with no additional information. I had seen him
present many years ago at an ASA meeting (American Statistical Association)
and mentioned this to him when he was signing my books. he conceded that I
would learn nothing new here!

I was also surprised that there was no seminar evaluation - they were not
interested in any feedback.

Sandra Kogan
--------------------

I'd rate him at 5. I've used his concept  "information density" (as
descriptive of graphics) any number of times when discussing an interface or
illustration
--------------------

5. Must see! Not necessarily good for Web design, but good for improving
diagrams and oral presentations...

D A N I E L  M  B R O W N
Creative Director, User Experience
marchFIRST
--------------------

3 - 4 depending on his mood.  Arrive early and make
sure to get his autograph.
--------------------

I attended Tufte's one-day presentation in Philadelphia a couple years ago.
It was very good.  As you would expect, Tufte does a good job of presenting
information in a clear and engaging way.

I was disappointed, though, that almost all of his examples came from his
three books, which I had already read.  (They gave us copies of all three
books at the presentation.)  He tells the audience to turn to a particular
page in the book to look at the example.

If you haven't already read his books, I'd give the presentation a 4.  If
you have, I'd give it a 3.

Kevin Knabe
--------------------

I would say it is a 5+.  If you can go, you should.  i have two sets of his
books, one of work, one for home.  it is that useful.  He is excellent,
fascinating, intelligent, fun.  The things he discusses, stay with you for a
very long time.  And the information is applicable whether in the IA world,
or graphic design, architecture, scientific research.  Its application is so
broad.

Do go!!  :)
--------------------

I'd rate it a three for Information Design Professionals. His work is
worthwhile, but the course might as well be a CD in the back of his books.
The opportunity to speak with him in person and have him sign your books
are the highlights...

After attending Tufte's "Presenting Data & Information" I was left with the
feeling that I could have taken away just as much by simply reading
Envisioning Information & The Visual Display of Quantitative Information.
He does provide a handout that outlines the chapters and a few other books
and URLs relevant to web professionals, which I found useful. If you'd like
I can dig it up and sent it your way. But beyond that in my option, it was
just him waxing eloquent on "beautiful design."
--------------------

5! ... that is, of course, depending on your background before you attended.
was new to IA, and Edward Tufte justified my pursuit of it. Also, I don't
remember it costing a great deal (good value for the time and money compared
some conferences I've been to!).

Best regards,
Pamela Saalbach
--------------------

4. the best part was seeing an original edition of a book by Galileo. It was
not interactive at all. It was a lecture with a room full of over 100
people. He is a buit domineering.

Mary Deaton
(206) 323-0701
--------------------

5. he blew my mind. he's a completely inspirational and insightful speaker.
I've heard it said if you've read his books or seen him before, it's not
worth going; but for me he was the best speaker I've ever seen... beating
Nielsen, spool and the rest easy.
--------------------

I attended Tufte's 1 day course, "Presenting Information and Data" a couple
of years ago.  Not only was it highly informative, but it was also very
enjoyable (he's a great presenter).  So, I give it a 5/5

Tom Wailes
User Experience Designer
email: [log in to unmask]
--------------------

5, a must see live because of the top-knotch delivery of the material. Tufte
may be a "rock-star" professor, but he deserves his accolades.

Dennis Huston
Instructor, Columbia College
Information Architect
--------------------

I'd give him a 5.

I thoroughly enjoyed the course, and it's value was supplemented
by getting copies of all three books.

Simon North
--------------------

I enjoyed the day long seminar -- I would NOT call it a course. If
you don't have the books - it's a 5  because you get all three.

I'll give the day-long seminar a 4 -- he was not a "good" public
speaker. However, he is interesting -- and I was predisposed to
"like" him as I had all three books. (I now have a pristine, signed
set of three!)

I attended in, ummm, 1998. (eeek that long ago)

Kathy Gil
--------------------

A strong 5--absolutely worth the money and the time!!!
joe

Joe Sokohl
Human-Computer Interaction
Icon Medialab
--------------------

4.5

tufte is a compelling speaker armed with great examples to prove his
points.  the price of the conference i attended included 3 of his books,
which are helpful touchstones that bring his words back to me.

def would recommend for info design ppl.

kristine kuss
director, information architecture
integrated media concepts, inc.
--------------------

I recently attended at one day Edward Tufte seminar on 'Presenting Data and
Information'.  I would rate it as a 4.  Most of what he said was really
valid, and he covered a lot of information in that one day.  We also
received his three books as part of the package and the course was an
overview of the contents of all three, so served as an introduction to his
work.

As a web designer/developer it was useful to go back to basics and think
about data and information rather than 'content' on a site.

I would recommend it but stress that anyone that has already read his books
or worked in the industry for a long time may already have covered this.

Jo Harvey
Web Associate, Lesley University
--------------------

I attended his course about 3 years ago; my manager signed up the
whole group so it was not optional. It was a group of tech writers
with a couple of others working on tools, web, usability. I was in
the latter group, my background being all of those things plus web
app UI design and development.

All that said, I give it a 3.

It was, on the plus side, an extremely entertaining and interesting
way to spend a day. And the books are gorgeous. I've actually referred
to them from time to time.

On the minus side, I can't say that my group was in any way affected
by the course. (I consider this at least partly the fault of the
manager for not following up.) We went, we had a good time, we went
back to work and worked the same as before.
--------------------

i would put it between 2-3. i went two years ago . . . in my opinion
he is trading on his name.
--------------------

5, no doubt about it.
--------------------

rating: 5x5 imho for anyone employed in disseminating any and all
information
types, highly recommended
--------------------

I've attended his one day course last year in SF...
Rating: 3
Good presente. For the most part, he went over his books. As a Lead IA/UI
Designer, I can't say that I walked away with any noteworthy information.
Although, the just-out-of-college Visual Designers I was with said it was
excellent and they learned quite a bit.

Rachel Powers
--------------------

5. He's a drama queen but he does know his niche.
--------------------

I attended his lecture a year ago in Boston, along with IAs from our Boston
office. I'd give it a 2. (We left at lunch and never went back for the
afternoon session.)

It was nice to get copies of all three books as part of the deal, but he
spent the morning reading selected passages to us with little sense of
structure or message. I was rather disappointed. I was also hoping to hear
his opinions on how a computer screen/browser influences, impacts, or
otherwise changes traditional visual display techniques and processing.
(Perhaps he covered that in the afternoon, but from what I've heard from
others, I don't think so.)

In other words, it felt like an extended advertisement for his books and his
work to date, with nothing about what he thinks of this "new" information
society we're all working to develop. Granted, we do need to have a strong
understanding of "traditional" media (print etc.) in order to do our jobs
well in an online world, but I think you can get that by reading the books.
Still, if the cost of the seminar is less than the cost of buying the three
books, perhaps it would be worth it to go. You could always stand in line to
have them autographed. :)

Linda M. Kolar, DVM MPH
Sr. User Experience Architect
Tech-Media Integration
Answerthink
--------------------

Someone placed their notes from a Tufte seminar on a web site:

http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/uta/PhD/tufte.html

We've sent 6-8 people to the course and found it very worthwhile - a 5 on
your
 scale. When our folks went they received all three of his books
as part of the registration fee.
--------------------

I would rate it as mediocre ...give it a 3.
Perhaps, my expections from Tufte were very high !!!!

I'll only touch up on what I didn't like about the course and why it I think
it deserved a 3 -
A good hour and half was spent on "how to make good executive
presentations"????? !!!!
Admit that's important, but that's not what you expect to learn in Tufte's
session. There are other places for that!
Also, it was focussed on promoting his new book......MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Phanita
Interaction Designer
--------------------

I went to Tufte's seminar last year and enjoyed it. I
don't think it is critical or required for this field
but it does provide a new insight and different way of
looking at information. I think if he had done any
work on the web or showed web examples, I would have
found that valuable. Overall, for your rating scale,
I'd give it a 4.
-----------------

I attended the Dallas conference in March, and I found it to be a definite
5.  It was extremely informative and much more entertaining than I expected.
-----------------

I attended the Tufte "Presenting Data and Information" course here in Austin
on March 6th. I think I would give it a 3.5 maybe a 4. As someone who is
fairly experienced and decently educated, there wasn't a lot of new
information there. However, it was a great cheerleading session, and left me
feeling motivated to keep on plugging away at what I'm doing. He's a
fascinating speaker and the day is an interesting one. I guess I got a
little bit of additional ammo for the arsenal needed when justifying UCD to
a corporation, which is never a bad thing.

Tufte annoyed me by spending most of his time reading out of his books. If
you have read all three of his books, you don't need to go to the class.
But (at least when I went) the books were included in the class fees which
made it a reasonably good deal. What Tufte teaches isn't necessarily
immediately practical, but it will convince you of the importance of
information presentation. I'd give it a 3.

   About CHI-WEB: http://www.acm.org/sigchi/web/chi-web.html