Re: UCD?

Rodney Fuller <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:33:10 -0700

--- Chris Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> --- "Rodney Fuller" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > And in the year I was there my main focus was to
> > drive changes without killing the motor that moved
> > us.  UCD would have killed everything--everyone
> > would have been unsure about their roles and
> > responsabilities to the point of staring at walls
> > and waiting to be told what to do ...
>
> I am curious however about your use of the term UCD
> here,
> and why you are sure it would have "killed
> everything." Is
> there a standardized UCD methodology, or at least a
> particular methodology you are singling out?

I am using UCD in the terms we defined while I was at
Bellcore.  In 95 and 96 I was a consultant on a
web development project that showed modest success:
233% increase in visits and a 700% increase in
revenue.
We tried to use Bellcore's standard UCD design process
in this effort but found some differences.  In late
96 Tom Dayton was summarizing this experience into
the UCD design guide for 97--this document might
still be available via telcordia pubs (or maybe
Tom still tells everyone he meets about it???).
At the end of 96 this branch of Bellcore's consulting
business was terminated ("no future in web
consulting")
and then Tom left for Sun--I don't know if the
UCD guidelines were ever updated.

> Which UCD
> practices are/were do you believe should be avoided?

This is a very hard question to answer--there are
many different perspectives to take.  Here are a
few of them and you can choose one:

In the year I was chief information architect I
never heard a client say the word "usability."
Not once.  Their focus was either on a high quality
and cheap design, or on some business strategy
(increase sales, increase visits, etc.).  When
we tried to "prove" that usability could solve these
questions we were often frustrated--both by our
own co-workers and by our clients.

It is probably very different for dedicated staff,
but for ecommerce consultants the main issues are
staying profitable.  And we didn't do any work
unless we were paid to do it.  Consulting makes
it easy to prioritize effort because of the high
cost of labor.

Three ways to explain what really happened:

1.  The major issues we had never involved users.
If you listed the top ten problems we had across
all of our projects (large, small and novice client
to experienced client) the top 9 issues would be
"content" and the tenth would be "client management."
You have to understand that in all but one case
(e.g 29 out of 30 designs, or 51.5 weeks of the year)
we never had anything resembeling "requirements."
What we did was either determine a feature set to
design to based on the amount of the client's check,
or--more often--re-defined the business goals,
determined what basic user goals needed to be
supported, and then determined what tasks should
support these goals.  We then came up with a list
of pages to design and content goals for each page.
As the site release got closer we ended up deleting
about 60% of the new features because content had
not been developed or delivered.  An understanding
and expectation of this allows you to get work done
and remain profitable--but it leads to shallow sites,
with simple goals and basic tasks.  You don't do this
because you want to but because you need to--you
can't hold up the holiday release of a major retail
site because of one missing page, and you can't
go and sit on Ralph Lauren until he writes his
"personal statement," but you can delete the link
to the RL boutique until he turns it in the day after
Christmas.  We ended up writing most of the content
ourselves just to provide some sort of user
experience.

2.  In consulting speed is everything.  I've been
consulting for 8 years now and from what I've seen
75% of well managed jobs fail because of delay or
poor client management.  In the internet world of
last year I'd have to say that over 97% failed
(overall--not true in our company--we were in the
60s).  Our "trick" was speed--and it worked.  We
could do what took other companies 3 months in 6
weeks.

How we did this was we did the architecture and
the design simultaneously.  We presented wireframes
(paper prototypes) and design comps to the client
at the same meeting.  This was the key to us being
profitable for 5 years and I could never break this
"rule" and stay with the company.

There were exceptions--we had two jobs where the
client approved the design before the IA (they had
seperate signature authority on these areas and
they didn't talk or agree).  And we had one job where
we just mismanaged the client for several years
so he just took over design--and we used UCD to
convince them that--ignoring our past behavior--we
DID actually know what we were doing.  In both of
these cases we lost money--because when ever
you get a client down to the level of answering/
asking questions about "should buttons be rounded or
square" or "make this pixel darker than this other
one"
you have too much churn (work without pay) to manage.

3.  We had to recognize that no internet user
experience would ever replicate the store experience.
We had the most amazing employee--she had a graduate
degree in retail from the London School in Fashion,
and she took us shopping once and we learned that
for the top 1% shopping is a sport.  We went out to
buy a birthday gift and she picked up some boots
that were about $400 (our budget was $160) and
she talked the clerk into giving them to us at
70% off in 2 mins.  That was when I learned that
the actual cost of an object is what ever the register
says.  On the internet the price is whatever the
database returns, minus any promotions, but not
the real world.  So for most of our "users" they
prefered the actual store experience--so user testing
would have been useless.

Rodney