hidden menus

"Schwenk, Jeanie" <[log in to unmask]>

Schwenk, Jeanie

Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:23:07 -0700

I wrote the original detailed requirements for the business rules and the ui
for the pilot (the one with the hidden menus).  The goals are quantifiable
and I have examples listed.  They have not been met.  Yes, I've pointed that
out but upper management does not seem to care.  Usability is not exactly
widely accepted.  It "looks" good to management as far as they are
concerned.   In other words, it looks similar to other software they've
seen.  Of course, they've never tough that either.  The UI is used by
technicians in a semiconductor fabrication facility to process pods of
wafers.  They make a mistake on one pod and it can cost a  million.  And
when mistakes do happen, they frequently don't become apparent until many
pods of wafers have been processed.  Again, this is why I am doing my best
of get better usability testing in place.  If a tech makes a mistake, they
get it trouble not the UI designers and implementers.  The GUI just has to
get better.  It's currently been pulled because 3 pods were misprocessed
(i.e. Now garbage).

The next area is our lithography section of the plant.  I've been going in
and spending some more time with the photo technicians passing additional
ideas by them (some drawings).  I've followed them around and they've
trained me in what they do and how they do it.  I've come to understand
their frustation (intimately) with the current system and understand what
they need.  The report with them is pretty good, if something is really bad,
I typically get a "that won't work!".  If the pilot moves in there "as is",
I think we will have a mutiny on our hands.

I have also spent some time with the techs in the fab that have been using
the new GUI (prior to it's removal that is).  I have a large collection of
complaints, frustration and difficulties I noted while I was just "hanging
out" with them for a few hours a day over different shifts.  It's not that
uncommon for me to just hang out every once in a while.  I've found it to be
an excellent way to get information ... chat about everything and listen to
their complaints and recommendations when it comes to the system.  They've
gotten to know me over the last 4 years, and I've been able to implement
many of their requests on the soon to be defunct GUI.  It's not exactly
"formal" but it can be very informative and I don't have to get permission
to do it.

I chatted with my boss after meeting with the techs.  I CAN have an informal
usability test with techs in September or October from a different area who
have never seen the gui which is better than nothing.

All the ideas were good but some would require more time than I have
available to implement.  I apologize for the time it has take me the time to
get this digest together.  I took the items in the list below directly out
of the digest which is included after the list.   I edited some text out of
the emails to make the digest shorter but no actual content has been
removed.  In the end I sent the contractors this list:

1.  We could use cursor shapes associated with certain sections of the
screen to indicate specific work modes (right/left menu) are available.
Perhaps on mouse over cursor changes to arrow or hand or something
appropriate.

2.      Subtle highlight or frame around the area where a context menu is
applicable.

3.  Where there is a menu accessible through the left buttons, use a small
downward or left triangle to the left of the text or cell.  For the hidden
right-mouse menus, you could display a small downward or right triangle in a
square near the right of the item on a 'mouse over' so it only shows when
the mouse is actually over the object.

4.  Tool tips with concise text indicating what's there (with a medium
interval before they appear, so the users don't go crazy when they move the
cursor across the screen)

5.  Context menu appears automatically after short interval (user should be
able to turn this off once he knows where the context menus are)

6.      Status bar messages

7.  Another option, an iconography of small indicators, perhaps there are
only two, perhaps a little arrow, one indicating left, one indicating right,
indicating to user where to click for menus.  I like this option the least
as it will clutter up an already busy screen.

I think the best is a combination of 1 and 2.  It would make the contextual
menus clearly available to the techs without being annoying.  The order is
from most-useful to least-useful in the GUI for out techs.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Jeanie

DIGEST
Create a splash screen that shows the kind of things you could do with the
interface.  Be able to turn this feature off.
I've used cursor shapes associated with certain sections of the screen to
indicate specific work modes are available. If you need extra cues, you
could combine this with:
- tooltips (use reasonable timing).
- status bar messages
- subtle highlight or frame around the area where a context menu applies
- small visual cues in the interface, next to the labels
- in a learning context: context menu appears automatically after short
interval (user should be able to turn this)

And what about a Contextual Palette Window ? It could be filled by buttons,
with labels (no icons) corresponding to entries of the contextual menu.

The contextuel window changes every time a user click on an object or
another ....

Where there is a menu accessible through the left buttons, use a small
downward triangle to the right of the icon or label, using the "menu button"
style of the windows guidelines. For your hidden right-mouse menus, you
could display a small downward triangle in a square near the top of the item
on a 'mouseover' so it only shows when the mouse is actually over the object
(and no button has been pressed.)

1)      Somewhere in a prominent location in the UI, in a style different
from everything else on the UI, so that the user knows this is instructional
text, indicate in concise text how to use the UI. Perhaps something like:
"How to use this website! for submenus, right-click... etc.

2) Another option, perhaps in combination with the above: an iconography of
small indicators, perhaps there are only two, perhaps a little arrow, one
indicating left, one indicating right, indicating to user where to click for
submenues. Perhaps on mouseover cursor changes to hand or arrow, and perhaps
if not too confusing, there is a tooltip or 'ALT' tag  with concise text
indicating what's there, that appears.

1.  setup and implement a formal usability test with your actual
users for the product you're dealing with - then write a constructive report
of the findings to distribute to your internal team and the contract team.
What I mean by constructive is that you allow the data from the test to
speak for itself, and not to fall into the trap where you only stress that
feedback that pushes your personal views (buy "A Practical Guide to
Usability Testing" - jospeh Dumas, Janice Redish ... often out of stock, if
so call www.bentely.edu bookstore)

2. Volunteer to facilitate some detailed requirements gathering for
upcoming projects.  I don't know if you're in the position to do this (would
normally be the producer/project management/usability team's role).  I'm
actually trying to put together a whitepaper that details how this can be
done, i'll send you a copy when it's complete.  Most important thing to
remember is to make every goal quantifiable (so you can test the final
product to prove or disprove success). Here's 2 examples of requirement that
you could put directly into a project scope

Usability Requirement 1 >> Efficiency of Use >> 70% of users will be able to
SUCCESSFULLY complete Task A in 2 minutes

Usability Requirement 2 >> Meets Users Expectations >> in post-Usability
Test interview, 70% of users will rate the product as meeting their
expectations

I've used contextual menus in the past in some web-based toolkits we
designed.  We put in little indicator arrows (actually triangles) next to
the word that triggers the pop-down and that seemed to work fine - we could
have the arrow pointing to side when the menu was closed and pointing down
when the menu was expanded (or open.)  You could also take some cues from
the way Windows handles these types of menus as they are very familiar to
anyone who uses a pc and by following convention, make the system easier to
use.
Used correctly contextual menus can be quite effective in giving a large
number of opinions to a users without cluttering screen space, and acting as
a shortcut to an option.  Generally there's also a longer way to set a
change as well which your case seems to be missing - ie. to change your
desktop properties in Windows you can right-click on the desktop OR go into
the start menu, select the control panel, select display to get to the same
spot.  This gives quick access to controls for power-users who know what
they're doing and a long way for those that don't.

By the sounds of it the system you have is designed for a finite group of
people (techs) within your organisation who will use the system regularly.
If so, one solution would be to have a training session for these users to
point out the advanced controls of the system.

Having obvious visual cues will also help and one of the main points I find
with this is that consistency is a key requirement.  If all items have
contextual menus then you just need to teach users is that they can select
any object and get additional properties for it by right-clicking.  In this
anything that has right-click ability should look like an object and be
distinctive from non-right-clickable objects.  For example in windows ALL
icons can be right-clicked on.  An obvious prompt in the page pointing this
out may be all that is needed.  ie.  To download this document, right-click
and select 'Save As...'

Buttons containing contextual menus should really only be used for changing
that buttons default setting.  i.e.. In Photoshop's tools panel, buttons
that can be changed are indicated by a small arrow in the lower right
corner.  Right clicking OR holding down the left mouse button for about 1
second on the button will bring up the tool selection.   This allows you to
change between, for example, a rectangular marquee or a circular marquee,
however the core functionality (in this case selecting) remains the same.

All objects/buttons should also be easily identified and have a definate
border or edge to it.  If it looks like it can be picked up off the page it
has a more real feel to it than if it's just text or an area of an image
(which is why Windows uses the 3d effect on its buttons).  While users have
become accustomed to clicking on text or an image in web pages for links
they still don't think of these as anything more that just that and most
would never realise you could do anything more.

The trade off you will always have when designing a system is whether to
cater primarily for easier use to first time users (ie. most websites) or
catering to power-users by adding such shortcuts.  Ideally you want both
(Apple has some of the best example of achieving this) but you'll always hit
a point where you need to decide which way to go.  It sounds like your
consultants went the power-user approach, sometimes this is the right way
for the app other times its simply because that's what the contractor is
comfortable with and not really what they customers needs.