CHI-WEB August 2001, Week 3

"Xu, Wei" <[log in to unmask]>

Xu, Wei

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 20:40:23 -0700

Thanks for all responses.

Original question:

>I got a question from the development team. When the network is very slow
>for some reason, users used to click a "submit" button many times. The
users
>thought their previous clicks did not take effect. This may result in
>multiple requests to the system. What is the best solution for this
problem?
>Possible solutions include: (1) do nothing; (2) add code behind the button
>so only the first click will be taken; (3) disable and gray out the button
>after the first click (potential confusion to users?); (4) disable the
>button after the first click and change the button label to "Processing".

-----

We have had some success by modifying any submits to display "Loading" upon
first click..
Certainly a better solution that having the user click the button more than
once, and possibly the least confusing way to let the user know that their
click
had an effect.
----------

Of the choices you list, I would recommend #4. In it the user performs an
action (presses submit button) and receives feedback (the button is disabled
and a processing statement is received). This is the prime scenario for all
interactions, i.e. stimulus - response.

----

you asked:
> What is the best solution for this problem?
> Possible solutions include: (2) add code behind the button
> so only the first click will be taken;

We've used this solution, with an added (javascript) alertbox that said that
one click was enough...

-----

Options (3) and (4) are better than (1) and (2). However, I could provide a
better response if I knew whether the app was web-based or Win32.

----

Expedia and Orbitz and other sites load an extra page with annoying animated
gifs while the system is processing the request.
I don't like this solution because usually, in low connection systems, takes
while to load... I think is a good solution if you keep this page
EXTRA-SLIM.

Personally I prefer the Yahoo version (do nothing).

----

The most low tech solution I've seen to this is text near the submission
button
stating "This transaction may take up to "x" minutes. Please
click only once or your credit card/request/etc. may be
submitted more than once".

The best solution I've seen is a combination of the text
(user forewarned) and some text that appears after clicking
stating that processing is taking place. This insures the
user that the submission didn't just end up in outer space,
which is why they continue clicking in the first place.

For technical considerations, if code can be added easily (inexpensively)
that only allows the first submission to be taken as a third safety measure
when the previous two are ignored it can't hurt.

----

One good way of handling this is to acknowledge the button click
***IMMEDIATELY*** with some kind of visual indicator AND a warning
NOT to click again that appears AFTER the first click. Most of the
"Don't click twice" warnings do not get read. However if it appears
AFTER the first click, the change in the screen may warrant users
to read it.

----

You could present the user with an alert box if they attempt to hit the
submit button more then once. This technique will not affect the user (or
confuse him) unless they try to click it twice. This method way also be
quicker then having to reload different images etc on to the screen.

However if you do change the submit button label to read processing the user
is less likely to think something is 'up' due to the time delay.

----

> Possible solutions include:
> (1) do nothing;

Not really a solution. Would only perpetuate the unwanted behavior.

> (2) add code behind the button
> so only the first click will be taken;

Fine, but the problem seems to be one of user confusion as a result of lack
of feedback; the user presses the elevator button, but it doesn't light up.
"Did it hear me? Is the light out? Did I push it hard enough? I'd better
push it again to be sure."

> (3) disable and gray out the button
> after the first click (potential confusion to users?);
> (4) disable the
> button after the first click and change the button label to "Processing".

These both provide feedback to the user, so they are better than the other
two, but the feedback could be beefed up a bit.

One approach would be to fire an alert() when they click the button,
pointing out that their order or whatever is being processed. But this might
be a little jarring, since the alert steals focus.

Perhaps change the button label to "Processing..." (ellipsis suggests an
ongoing process, time passing), and swapping in an animated image suggesting
that something is happening (an hourglass, or chasing arrows, or something)?
I have seen instances where the button was replaced by a progress bar, but
these are difficult to implement on the web.

They key maybe to show the user that their click was heard and the server is
working. Shifting the problem from "preventing additional clicks" to "making
users feel comfortable only clicking once" will yield the results you seek.

-----

e use Option (3) disable and gray out the button after the first click.  We
also use an animated hour glass and place it to the side of the button.

Another option is to show a new page with a message and meter indicator to
show the progress.  Some web sites use this approach and do some
advertisement while the user is waiting.  I think this is only appropriate
for commercial web sites.

-----
at my company we ran into the same problem, we just added a bit of
javascript to accept only the first click. i can hunt up the javascript for
you if you like.

i'd suggest, rather than changing the button label, you set it up to do as
above, and maybe add a bit of text that says something to the effect "your
order is being processed", which shows up after the button is clicked. i
think i'd put the text right next to the button...

----- End