CHI-WEB December 2001, Week 1

Jeff Albro <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:34:38 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

(Sorry it took so long for me to get this out, I am still recovering from
a nasty head cold)

I got several responses, all of which were very helpful.  The full text of
the responses are found below.

Here is what I personally got from the responses, and how I plan to change
my methods:

* I'm adding a signature to all my e-mails that gives readers some idea of
what I do and where I'm located.

* I'm going to put much more effort into publishing material that is
helpful for interested parties rather than writing suggestions to
companies that might not be interested.

* The archives of this mailing list are extremely useful, and I need to
spend more time with them.

* In many ways, getting paying jobs is about _selling_ your services, ala
Kent Dahlgren's posts in the archives.   Listen to the clients problems,
use their terminology, etc.

* I need to look for full time jobs from another angle... I've found some
great openings by looking at customer service, quality assurance, and
product design openings.

Thank you very much to the people who responded with so much great advice!

-Jeff

Jeff Albro                                      [log in to unmask]

Customer Interaction Consultant                          Boston, MA

>From [log in to unmask]  Sun Nov 18 23:54:19 2001

Jeff-

One thing I've learned in the past few years is that to be a successful
practitioner in this field, you have to practice what you preach. I'm sure
the insights you're giving these companies, unsolicited, has validity and
potential to improve their product.  But if they don't know they need it,
then maybe they don't need it.

Whatever service you're providing needs to be usable by your customer.
It has to fill a need.  In some cases that may mean educating them enough
for them to realize they even *have* the need.  But in most cases,
especially in lean times, you need to work your services and capabilities
into needs that already exist, that have already been identified by the
stakeholders in these companies.

Maybe this means rewriting their content so that it makes more sense to
their customer.  Maybe it means consulting on workflow process so their
teams can work better together.  Maybe it means doing a QA eval of their
site with a little usability eval thrown in.  Whatever it is, you need to
be adaptable to what their needs are, and in most cases, what they already
have identified their needs to be. And you need to talk with them first to
understand these needs, before sending them solutions.

Kent Dahlgren wrote a great series of updates on his experience with this,
back in the summer when he was laid off (was it this list or SIGIA?).  He
proved himself to be a master of understanding a client's situation and
then giving them an idea of what he could do for them, by listening first
and then speaking their language selling his services within their current
understanding of usability.  If you can't find his posts in the archives,
I recommend picking up a few books on consulting skills (i.e., finding
clients, and then getting your ideas heard and valued).

Best of luck.

-Brenda

>From [log in to unmask]  Mon Nov 19 03:19:05 2001

usability is still considered as a nice to have thing. As long as a
company doesn't see the competitive advantage they're not willing to pay
for it. So if you're offering such thing for free it is nice for them but
you probably never will gain a penny with it. What I suggest you do is
tell the company why competitors are better and offer your (paid )
services to the improve the company site.

Regards,

Stijn Scholts

From: Mundo XXI <[log in to unmask]>

 Hi Jeff,

Well, read your email, I thought about what you've been through and I
don't have a conclusion, but yes a tip you can follow if you want to. Why
don't you start developing your own usability web-site project and promote
yourself through newspaper ads, going to the public and show your project,
show your web-site as a reference of what you can do and how instead of
doing some (free) work to companies that don't care about your work. I can
help you with developing your project's web-site and get new ideas, if you
like the idea, you know how to find me.

I hope I helped you.

Best regards,
Felipe.

Web-designer/ Web Developer(student)
College Student .

>From [log in to unmask]  Mon Nov 19 11:00:01 2001

Hi Jeff,

I haven't had time to go through the article yet this morning but my first
tip about drumming up paying work, would be to always put your contact
information and geographical information in your correspondence.

If I am reading this and had an opportunity it would be easier to know if
you are in my area or how to contact you directly.

Good luck,
Kellie

>From [log in to unmask]  Mon Nov 19 13:51:38 2001

Some people/companies just don't care and you can't change them.  It's
like giving unwanted advice to people.  If they wanted the advice, they'd
have asked for it.

If you can't find a full-time UI job, find a CS job at a company that
values UI design, but doesn't have any UI professionals.  Then build up
your portfolio until you have enough credibility to get a full-time UI
job.

At 17:57 -0500 18/11/01, Jeff wrote:
>  I finally came to the realization I NEED to work on interfaces and
>technology that directly affect humans.

me too.

But the nearest I get in a relatively small town (1 million+ in the
"worlds most isolated city" of Perth) is to write applications and
occasionally design UI. (Yeah, I know this is CHI-WEB not just
general UI design).

Maybe 5% of my professional life, if I'm lucky, is spent doing product design.

>I've sent a few letters out offering free work in return for
>references.  ...  I turned out a great
>report and it took them weeks to take a look at it.  I won't do that
>again.

Why?

Realistically, weeks to take a look (I assume that included getting
back to you) doesn't surprise me in a corporate environment. Don't
sulk at being ignored :-)

What's important is: did you get the report you wanted or other
tangible evidence that they reacted positively to your advice?

>In general, I get the impression that companies don't listen when someone
>shows them a problem out of the blue and offers to help with it.
Web sites may be a special case - someone's pride is often on the line.

 From a recent client experience - we did the application design
inhouse but the marketing people insisted on owning the website
including the e-commerce side.

The application won two awards and was so easy to use and so robust
that no support department was necessary (pity, liked the guy).

The website resulted in shareholder complaints with its 1Mb home
page, awkward Flash navigation and sheer unusability (and cost
several times as much as the base product) :-(

If you want to stretch your hunger to improve interfaces, provide
feedback to the many small companies and individuals producing
shareware packages or commercial products who at least have demo
versions available for download. Pick a competitive and "boring" area
like accountancy, tax assistance, printshop job control - people with
money at stake if time is wasted.

I have been responsible for a number of feature improvements over the
years, quoted on advertising brochures and received free copies of
products. No, it hasn't led to a UI design gig for any of these
companies but it *has* helped assuage the hunger.

It's also nice to help people.
--

Andy Dent BSc  MACS  AACM   http://www.oofile.com.au/
  ***   H I R E   A N D Y  -  Mac, QuickTime, Windows, Unix C++, c-tree ***

>From [log in to unmask]  Tue Nov 20 10:36:16 2001

Jeff,

You might want to look at this same question in the hacker/security arena.
They've had the same debate, where they'll notify Microsoft or someone else
of a security hole. But the company ignores them, so they publish info on
the security hole, forcing the company to take action.

Similar dilemma to yours. You might let the company know ahead of time that
you'll be publishing an article about them, just to give them fair warning.
I think you may be right that publishing is the best way to get noticed, and
you could view it as providing a public service at the same time.

Good luck.
--
Heather Johnson
Manager of Internet Strategy

>From [log in to unmask]  Fri Nov 23 12:27:38 2001

Hi Jeff,

I don't have a lot of direct experience with the situation you're
describing, but I did work for a startup where the company itself faced
similar issues (Argus Associates in Ann Arbor, MI). I think the place to
put the most effort is in publication and developing a reputation in the
field. Networking is also very valuable--while we never had good results
when pointed out problems out of the blue we *did* have more success when
we discussed problems with like-minded people inside the company who could
then encourage that we be hired; and they'd use things like our
publications and conference speaking record to "prove" our legitimacy.

regards,
Samantha

Samantha Bailey
[log in to unmask] | http://baileysorts.com