summary: HCI program reputations (long)

Amanda Birmingham <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:34:45 -0700

Hello,
Two weeks ago I posted a question on the comparative reputations of HCI
programs.  To those who asked as to what specific areas I wanted to study
and where I am located: I am interested in studying usability design
principles/testing practices for web sites and web applications, and I am
located in Denver, Colorado (US).

I received 12 replies, several of which were from people looking to find
out the same information; the others I have summarized here and attached
below (which makes this email very long--sorry).
--One person said that formal qualifications are not necessary to get into
the usability field, and gave an idea of what experience would be necessary
instead
--Several people stated that having some sort of formal training is
important, but where it comes from is not so important
--Two people each recommeded Carnegie Mellon, MIT, and Georgia Tech as
being highly thought-of
--The following programs were each given a single recommendation: UCSD,
UMD,Virginia Tech, DePaul, North Carolina State, U. of Virginia, U. of Mich
--One person recommended checking out US News & World Reports Graphics and
User Interaction graduate school rankings which, in 1999, included UNC,
Georgia Tech, MIT, Stanford, and Carnegie Mellon (among others) in its top ten
--A couple of people noted that which program is "best" might depend
sensitively on what subtechnology (Web, mobile, iTV, ...) one wanted to
work with

By the way, although not a direct reply to my post, I also sent for some
info from Carnegie Mellon on their distance learning MSIT-HCI degree
program, and received this info:
"We are hoping to have most of the core courses for this degree program
available for distance delivery in the Fall 2002 semester.  As soon as we
have 10 students enrolled in the HCI specialty track we will develop the
elective courses and practicum for this track.  We will offer 4 core
courses each semester, followed in subsequent semesters by offerings of the
elective courses and practicum.  Therefore, prospective students can begin
taking core courses while we build interest in the specialty track."
I am seriously considering this option, and would be interested in hearing
(off-list) from anyone else considering it, since it appears that until 10
people commit, there is no guarantee of full development of this
program.  (Does this seem like a catch-22 to anyone else?  I don't want to
commit until I know I can do the whole program--why waste my
time/money?--but they won't develop the whole program until quite a few
people commit!)

Thanks to all for your responses, and if anyone feels like offering any
further advice, I'd welcome it!
Amanda Birmingham
Web Application Developer

My original post follows:
Hello,
I'm new to the list, so please forgive any ettiquette faux pas.  I'm a web
application developer, and I'm thinking of taking the current market
slowdown as an opportunity to seek some formal training in HCI/usability
engineering; I'm interested in focussing more explicitly on usability in my
career, and would like to get the qualifications to do so.  I assume I need
some formal training to do this (if this is not the case, someone please
set me straight!)

In looking through the chi-web archives and several usability-related
sites, I've found mention of a number of HCI-focussed programs (Carnegie
Mellon, Rensselaer Polytech, Bentley College, Cardean U., The Open
University, etc).  However, I cannot find any information regarding the
comparative reputations of these programs.

I know that with most undergraduate and graduate education, *where* a
degree comes from sensitively affects how useful that degree is to the
holder.  Can anyone on this list give me an idea of whether this is the
case for HCI-specific degrees/certifications, and if so, which programs
have particularly good (or bad) reputations?

I believe the convention on this list is to "collect and summarize" for
questions such as this; therefore, please send any replies directly to me
at "[log in to unmask]", and I will summarize the responses in a later
post.  Thanks very much to all for any direction you can provide.

The responses I received follow (I have snipped to cut out excess quoting
of original post):