Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  February 2002, Week 3

CHI-WEB February 2002, Week 3

SUMMARY: Does the usability team also do design?

William Hudson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:29:18 -0000

Posted on behalf of Patrick Malecek <[log in to unmask]>

My questions were posted a week ago, and I received a lot of great
information (hence, a long summary!). A big 'thank you' to all who
responded. Hopefully there's something below that will be of benefit to
you.
I've tried to make this as readable as possible, but in text-only,
that's a bit tough.
Some respondents wanted their name and company omitted, so I've done
that almost entirely, with exceptions where the company name was part of
a response and no omission was requested. (A letter represents the same
respondent throughout, so you can see threads or consistency in their
I'm still interested in gathering responses to these questions, so feel
free to send to me: [log in to unmask] But I can't summarize any
more; I have to get on to other things!
--------------------
1. HOW IS YOUR USABILITY TEAM SEATED WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION/COMPANY?
ARE YOU PART OF MARKETING? PART OF I.T.? PART OF COMMUNICATIONS, ETC.?
A: Usability services are part of the corporate university (as of 2001.
Previous 8 years were part of corp info services).
B: Here are my answers, although I am the manager of the UI team, not
the Usability team: The Usability group (called 'User Research') and the
User Interface Design group are in an organization that includes
Engineering and Product Marketing.
C: We're part of the creative departmment. The structure is something
like: CEO > Creative Director > Creative Manager > Coordinator (me) >
staff.
D: I.T., specifically in the Design group. but this is because I'm
working for a small organization.
E: AOL has a few usability groups. The main one is within marketing. The
smaller one i am in is within design.
F: Web usability at the company I work for is part of Web Content, which
is under Global Marketing.
G: We don't have a usability team instead we have a User Experience team
which encompasses UI design and Usability although our focus is more on
design than testing.  We are part of the engineering dept.
H: Inside Development
I: Usability is part of the User Experience Group and part of the
Engineering team. I think you will find this answer differs depending on
the purpose of the organization.
--------------------
2. HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE ON YOUR USABILITY TEAM AND WHAT ARE THEIR ROLES?
A: 5 directly involved in usability consulting, testing, heuristic
reviews, workplace observation.
B: One manager, and three individual contributors.  They all perform
user research and usability testing. One has an extra emphasis on
surveys.
C: 6, 3 architects and 3 designers. These guys do the site maps,
wireframes, functional specs of all products. To use a general term, I'd
say we're concerned with funcionality of our products, and this includes
all user experience.
D: No strict usability expert employed. Instead we have to be competent
in at least 4 areas, being the user advocate or usability guru is but
one cap we need to wear (the others being designer, information
architect and project manager). I guess in some cases, this is not
desired, but it works fine for a small (10-15) organization. We all have
a base understanding of most web development processes and skills, yet
still some excel in a particular field (for example designing and
carrying out usability tests), and we make him/her de facto usability
champion (that is, he leads, and listens).
E: Total AOL dedicated usability "testers"= 10. *In my group = 2. Many
designers do other types of usability like task analysis and field
research.
F: 1-2 (not full time roles per se - although we try to advocate for our
users whenever we develop anything). User interface designer and User
advocate/human factors
G: 2 full-timers plus 1 contractor.  We all do design and I am the main
tester.
H: Just me. I'm an interaction designer who does the field research, UI
design, and validation testing. I also consult with a number of products
by giving expert reviews.
I: We have one person who is expert in usability but there are 4 members
of our total UX team.
--------------------
3. IS YOUR USABILITY TEAM ALSO DOING SCREEN DESIGN, OR DO YOU FOCUS
PURELY ON TESTING, MAKING RECOMMENDATIONS AND EVANGELIZING USER-CENTERED
PRINCIPLES?
A: Assist in screen design typically after testing or heuristic reviews
demonstrate flaws. An occasional team will ask us to review their first
concept screens, but rarely do we actual perform the first screen
design.
B: The User Interface Design group does all screen design.
C: (Combined response in question 4)
D: Screen designs, wireframe prototyping, functional HTML mockups,
requirements definition, task analysis.. purely 'making recommendations
and evangelizing user-centered principles' is not really the way to go
for someone employed in a small organization. You have to be more
well-rounded than that.
E: No design, purely testing etc.....
F: Screen design, making recommendations, user/customer advocacy.
G:  We do a little of everything.
H: I do it all.
I: Since we are a small group, we mix and match roles. The whole team is
involved in all aspects of UX, UI, IA, ED.
4. IF YOUR TEAM IS NOT DOING SCREEN DESIGN, WHO DOES?