Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  April 2002, Week 4

CHI-WEB April 2002, Week 4

Summary re: screen resolutions (long, somewhat rambling, but sincere)

Matt Prather <[log in to unmask]>

Matt Prather <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:14:04 -0700

Wow --- this has been an education on several fronts! I've been surprised at
the number of people with very good points to consider, made very
courteously. I've also been surprised at the vehemence --- and, sometimes,
downright viciousness --- of some replies. Contrition becomes much less
likely than defensiveness, in the face of nasty and personal messages.
Nonetheless...

Overall, some (but very few) consistent themes did emerge from what seems a
rather murky and confusing set of statistics, preferences, habits, and so
on. Here are some of the highlights, together with some added commentary by
way of Socratic Method --- that is, I still have some questions and would
like to engage in a dialogue about some of these facets, **PROVIDED** we can
do so as civilized correspondents, without benefit (??) of "flame throwers."

* I'm not at all sure which statistics to trust or believe, regarding the
most prevalent screen resolution used to view the Internet. Clearly, 800 x
600 resolution has by no means gone away, but it seems to "see-saw" with
1024 x 768 in various statistics gathered at various times as to which makes
up either a majority or plurality. It appears the only consistent factors
are that (a) the lower resolution is amazingly persistent --- much more so
than browser versions, for example --- (b) there is nonetheless a gradual
trend away from 800 / 1024 as the #1 / #2 spots, and toward 1024 / 1280 as
the #1 / #2 spots. It may take several more years, but it clearly seems
headed in that direction.

* In part --- LARGE part, perhaps! --- this is attributable to a user desire
for large screen elements (and weak vision was usually cited as the
motivation for this). I confess this one is personally difficult for me to
understand, and it will take some effort to set aside my own preferences and
habits. I'm not exactly a "spring chicken" myself, my vision is not the
best, I have had surgery on each eyeball at least twice, and I still find
that the coarse, jagged, and often blurry renderings of screen elements
(especially anti-aliased) at 800 x 600 more than erase the benefit of the
larger size of screen elements. Moreover, the sizes of icons and fonts are
(as I'm sure you know) user-customizable, independently of the screen
resolution. So, using a coarse, blurry, and jagged resolution simply to
obtain larger sizes strikes me as being rather like using an eyeglasses Rx
that doesn't really match up with your vision, "...but it sure makes things
**BIG** !"

* Anecdotally, based on many of your responses, it also appears that a
significantly large percentage of users simply have never changed the "out
of the box" default screen resolution of their monitors --- which, until
recently, was usually 800 x 600. Most of these users (again, anecdotally)
are not even sure what "screen resolution" is, let alone how or why they
might change it.

* Some users are forced by budgetary constraints to use older equipment that
will not support higher resolutions --- especially common in non-profit
organizations.

* Lower resolutions are more common outside of America. (Note: the Web site
in question will have an overwhelmingly American and Canadian audience, with
a smattering of U.K., Germany, and occasionally Australia.)

* A very large number of people pointed out to me that screen resolution
might not even be the most relevant measure here, since it is completely
independent of window size, and one cannot assume that the browser window
will be maximized. An excellent point, and one that I tend to forget, for a
couple of reasons: (a) probably because I dislike scrolling so intensely
myself, I tend to maximize not only a browser but EVERY application window,
simply switching among them as necessary [smaller windows obviously mean
more frequent need to scroll], (b) I have never actually observed the
"multiple smaller windows" behavior in either formal in-house usability
studies or site visits, *EXCEPT* when the user was conducting multiple
chat-room conversations --- honestly, that's the only time I've ever seen
users without the browser window either maximized or very close to it. I
have no reason to doubt all you folks who claim that you routinely run
smaller browser windows, I've just never seen it myself, so it's an easy one
to lose track of. I also suspect (although I don't have measurements and
stats to back this up) that maximizing the browser is more common among
Windows users than Mac users, as context-switching mechanisms in each OS (at
least in pre-Dock Mac OS) would seem to encourage this difference.

So, what to do with all this information, in terms of design implications
and directions? Again, several people offered several options:

* Centered-content layout --- usually features unused fixed-width areas to
either side of a fluid center area. I considered this, and even did a couple
of mockups. It may the best "compromise" situation, but it is still a
compromise, and that fact shows. What's more, it doesn't really provide a
clear advantage to the user in terms of providing more or less onscreen
content; it doesn't maximize the user's workspace, for example.

* Axis-oriented pages (a.k.a "wheel & spokes") --- I've actually used this
layout before, and it (usually, not always) degrades pretty well. Same
problem as the one above, however: it doesn't really provide any additional
real estate; it just does its best to keep things centered.

* Fully "liquid" pages --- this one was proposed a lot! It's a great idea,
and very frequently ends up being the compromise of choice, but I've also
very frequently had both clients and users complain of a "bland" or "cheap"
look to it. (A couple of more tech-savvy clients have commented that "...it
looks too 'HTML-y'...") Going this route can often mean that you sacrifice
most of your ability to meet visual branding standards for your client ---
no small consideration! --- and it can inadvertently punish those users who
*DO* have higher resolutions and/or larger browser windows; the text lines
then become long enough to be difficult to read.

* There is still the overarching problem of how to handle graphics. Can you
crop graphics to reduce the physical dimensions? Of course --- but there is
the risk of losing so much information as to render the graphic essentially
meaningless. Can you shrink graphics? Of course --- but there is the risk of
losing so much etc., etc., etc. ("Oh, look, Abner, it's the grandkids --- I
think... There's a pink thing back in there that might be a head, or
possibly a cantaloupe. Nope, it's a------------- Oh, my gaaaaaaaaaaaawd!!!")
Can you place a graphic so that it can be stretched, shrunk, and distorted?
Of course --- but "distorted" becomes the operative term...

The upshot of all of this, at least for me, is the realization that while I
am going to need to design for lower screen resolutions, smaller windows,
and even mobile devices, I am simply not going to be able to provide good
design with a "one size fits all" approach. If I design for larger windows
and higher resolutions, the design will necessitate so much scrolling on
smaller screens and lower resolutions as to be all but unusable --- rather
like watching Star Wars from the first row, as your head snaps back and
forth trying to read "A long, long time ago in a galaxy..." On the other
hand, if I design solely for smaller screens and lower resolutions, I really
cheat those with larger screens or higher resolutions --- imagine seeing
only a 12" x 12" square on your giant-screen television; you'd never stand
for it!

The only solution I can see that will really offer each
platform/resolution/screen size a reasonable, if not optimal, viewing
experience is to create multiple designs and "sniff" for whichever is most
appropriate to the particular user. Yes, it's a lot of work and will also
likely involve multiple sets of graphics, but I'm hopeful that the final
results will be worth it. Lots of users may fall into more than one camp,
too --- for example, the 8 x 6-ers who simply don't realize that they can
increase the resolution and also increase the size of screen elements. I
don't think it's unfair or unreasonable for me to include some sort of "Help
me out" link that can then say, "I can show you a lot more at a time, and
reduce your need to scroll, if you're willing to increase your screen
resolution. Would you like to find out more?"

Thanks to all of you for your input on what has proven to be a very
thought-provoking discussion. Lots to consider, lots to create and post,
lots to test --- I'd better get to it!

Best regards,
Matt Prather