Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  May 2002, Week 2

CHI-WEB May 2002, Week 2

Long Summary: Work Experience or Graduate Programs?

Jay Kumar <[log in to unmask]>

Jay Kumar <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 11 May 2002 04:18:21 +0800

Hello everyone,

Sorry to everyone for delaying this response. Needed to migrate mailing
lists location. =)

The original question is below  and following that is the responses to the
Question:

My Original Question:

I would like to know if a graduate degree in HCI is needed to be in the User
experience field?

Do all of you have a HCI Masters degree?

When I view the job boards, I see all the companies requesting for a person
with Human Factors Masters or a HCI Masters degree. Do I need to get a HCI
Masters Degree?

I work in a software company in charge of User experience. I gain a lot of
knowledge through the various implementations of projects as well as all the
books/research and other sources out there to help in my design.

I don't think I would gain as much knowledge and experience taking up a
graduate degree. Everything that they teach in the Graduate degree, I can
just pick up a book and learn it as well as , if I read something that is
really beneficial for the software, I can experiment with it, on how it can
be incorporated in the software's we develop. I get real life experience.

Am I wrong to say that?...What is the benefit of going to a Graduate School
for a HCI degree?

So if you have 5 years of experience designing, but you don't have a Masters
degree, are you really at a disadvantage?

I would appreciate any and all replies to my query. Please email me and I
will summarize for the list if people need it.

Thank You. I greatly appreciate your reply.

--> "I will always hire experience over degree. If you have never shipped a
product you are disadvantaged in my eyes. The best designers I know learned
on the job."

Response 2:

-->  Would like to know if a graduate degree in HCI is needed to be in the
User
experience field?

No, but it sure does help if you want a great salary in a big company.

Do all of you have a HCI Masters degree?

No, I have a Master's in Information Design and Technology. I have worked
with many people who had master's degrees in various fields, from theater to
anthropology, including many technical degrees like CS, EE, Cybernetics,
Library Science and various flavors of Business.

When I view the job boards, I see all the companies requesting for a person
with Human Factors Masters or a HCI Masters degree. Do I need to get a HCI
Masters Degree?

You'd be in a position of advantage if you got one. I wish there had been
one available when I was in school.

Am I wrong to say that?...What is the benefit of going to a Graduate School
for a HCI degree?

Besides whatever you might learn from the profs and other students, you have
a piece of paper that gets your foot in the door for interviews and helps
you get promoted. I was told that a master's degree makes a $100,000
difference over your working life, no matter what it's in. My experience was
that it made a much larger difference in salary per year than I would have
thought: at least 20k per year inside the field and 40k per year when
changing fields to go into HCI.

Self-teaching and ongoing study are par for the course in either case.

So if you have 5 years of experience designing, but you don't have a Masters
degree, are you really at a disadvantage?

Maybe, especially if you're competing with a person w 5 years' experience
AND a master's degree. Some companies won't even interview those without
graduate degrees for certain positions. I would never have been hired at my
first Silcon Valley high-tech firm without it, and that job led to other
opportunities I would never have had without that first opp.

So my vote is firmly with the graduate degree. It was the best money I ever
invested in myself, considering the rate of return."

Response 3:

Everything that they teach in the Graduate degree, I can just pick up a
book and learn it as well as ,

Dude, you totally exposed your ignorance there. A decent graduate degree is
about research - you're creating knowledge that doesn't yet exist. So
there's no book to pick up.

Secondly, a graduate degree lets you explore things outside the day-to-day
grind of production. People buried in commercial projects often have a
harder time seeing 'the next big thing' than folks in academia because they
have a direct concern for timelines on projects directed at current needs.

A graduate degree can give you some credibility in conservative
organizations that no amount of experience will replace.

Finally, a graduate degree lets you hang out for a couple years with a
really smart advisor as a mentor (if you hook up with the right person).
That's invaluable.

All that being said, I don't think you're at a significant disadvantage
unless you want to work in a position that requires a graduate degree (R&D
positions in particular).

>So if you have 5 years of experience designing

I've seen people who have 15 years of experience in building enterprise IT
systems who couldn't design their way out of a wet paper bag. And I've seen
people with no industry experience come in and rock. Expect to show your
portfolio and actually do some design in any decent interview, degree or
not.

Response 4:

If you're not looking for a new job, it doesn't sound like you need the
degree.  What is your undergraduate degree?

If you are looking for a new job, hiring managers often request a graduate
degree and may not consider your application if you don't have one.

Another benefit of graduate school is learning to participate in a community
of scholars.  Instead of just reading books, you do research and publish and
become part of a larger conversation, and you build your network of
relationships (which is extremely important for getting jobs).  You said you
read books.  Do you also read conference proceedings (e.g., the annual CHI
conference proceedings) and journal articles?

But it really depends on what sort of work environments you are interested
in.

Response 5:

Don't quote me on this but here' a quick take on your question.
1. The software development, IT, and customers of usability and Human
Factors view us as "witch-doctors", our work being akin to a black art to
the uninitiated. As a result, they find COMFORT is using paper degrees to
seperate the wannabees and snake-oil  merchants from the experienced and
tested practitioners. I don't possess a degree in HCI, but not only have I
proven the merit of my contributions, I'm putting together an evaluation and
design methodology that will end up being the equivilant of a PHD thesis.
The key is that we want to see evidence of the soundness of methodology
based on established criteria of academic research process.
Just reading books alone is not enough- putting the knowledge in all those
books TOGETHER in a rational manner is what you want to demonstrate.

Response 6:

it all depends on the company. I don't have a graduate degree in HCI (mine
is an MBA) but I've performed usability tests since 1996 and I think I'm as
good as any grad. student. I've learned a lot on the job. If I wanted it - I
wouldn't hesitate to apply for any job asking for CHI Masters, even though I
don't have one. Although we ask for HCI Masters in our postings, we would
certainly look at someone with years of experience. I don't think you need
one at all, and you know you don't. But the criteria is an easy way to
screen
 out "project managers" who were in charge of UI design once.

-

Response 7:

I'm one of the few people at xxx Company in my role who doesn't have a
graduate degree and so I am asking myself the same questions. I think the
answer to that question largely depends on your career goals. Do you intend
to stay in this field? If you want to lead user experience teams for large,
established companies then maybe a graduate degree isn't a bad idea. I
myself really enjoy my work, but have other interests, too, and so I want
to commit to a longer term plan before I quit my job for a couple years of
school. Good luck to you, and let me know how it works out!

Response 8:

Understanding what a graduate program involves is important before deciding
one way or the other just to make an informed decision.

I don't have a graduate degree, though I've looked at doing one. I think
that unless you want to do serious R&D, a PhD wouldn't be the best choice.
Really, a graduate degree can be a springboard for learning new things,
getting over a plateau in your practice (if you've plateaued) or making a
transition to a job that really requires a graduate degree (and many don't -
they'll look at you if you have industry experience. Some even have formal
rules for weighing experience vs a degree).

If you're interested in being a practitioner (ie building stuff) as opposed
to researching new things, then you'll likely be ok without a degree.
Really, it's where you want to be in 10 years (do you have the passion for
UX so that you _want_ to be in the field in a decade?)

Your advisor in a graduate program makes a big difference too - that's
really important no matter what path you take - who will be your mentor(s)
in the future?

End of Summary.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to email.

Jay Kumar