SUMMARY: Edit/Change/Update/Modify

"Murphy, Aimee" <[log in to unmask]>

Murphy, Aimee

Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:47:15 -0400

This was my first post to the CHI-Web list and I can't tell you know
grateful I am for all the thoughtful responses. I feel lucky to have such a
fantastic network of folks to call upon with questions. Thank you! Below
you'll find a summary of the responses I received.

Regards,

Aimee Murphy
Usability Engineer
CISSS Contract
404.320.5849

>A colleague and I were discussing the use of the word "edit" on the web.
I'm partial to "edit" while she prefers "change". We have other colleagues
>who always use "update" or "modify". We're trying to adopt a common set of
terminology/labels to use across the many sites we work on. Is there
>a standard that we should be following?

>If you respond directly to me, I'll be happy to summarize to the list.

Mike Monteiro

standards are only worthwhile if they make sense to the user. if the target
user of "site one" understands 'edit', while the target user of "site 2" is
much more apt to understand 'change' then use the word best understood.
standards aren't always a good idea, especially when they become shortcuts
for lazy problem solving.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dave Miller

Edit - pertains to changing documents in a word processor or spreadsheet
contents. You have to save the changes that you have made.

Change - I think of this as the changes made during editing - a lower level
activity than editing.

Update - a database term that smacks slightly of computer jargon. It has
the connotation that you are in a client - server environment and the
changes need to be posted to the server. More like "Save" than "Edit."

Modify - seems like change to me in that it has a more micro level of
activity associated with it, although I think this too is more of a techy
term than change.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Delight 'DeeDee' DeMulling

i would love to hear if there is a standard.  i prefer Update.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gerard Torenvliet

We had this issue as well.  Since in our products users are working with the
properties of objects, we opted with 'Modify'.  In general, I would think:

Modify: objects/properties; expected by a technical audience

Change: Means same as 'modify' but more approachable; good for less
technical audience

Update: Seems to me updates happen when outside data is pumped in.  That is,
newspapers are updated.

Edit: Used when the primary change is text-based.  (Edit a document.)

Hope that helps; I have no data to back any of this up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Adam Guasch-Melendez

These words have slightly different meanings, so which is preferable may
depend on the context.

For example:

If I posted something to a message board, or wrote an article, and wanted
to make some changes to the text, the word that I'd use for that is
"edit".

If I changed jobs and wanted to provide you with current contact
information, replacing the old contact information I gave you last year,
the word I'd use is "update".

If I filled out an application last week (for a job, school, contract,
etc.) and wanted to make some changes to the information I submitted, or
to answers I gave, not because something changed but because I thought my
new answers might give me a better chance of success, the word I'd use is
"modify."

If I made reservations at a hotel, and want to alter my arrival date, the
word I'd use is "change".

Use of a single word across each of these cases wouldn't be the best way
to go. Yes, in terms of maintaining a consistent user interface
standardization is generally a good thing.

But users generally don't think in terms of interacting with a system,
they think in terms of "this is what I want to do". The best bet is
therefore to give them labels that most closely relate to the task being
performed.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Debra Goldentyer

They have different meanings.

Edit: to prepare a document for publication--BEFORE publication

Change/modify: to add or update information/data (not limited to timeliness;
might also include adding new modules or redesigning)

Update: to make changes to keep the site timely or reflect new information

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Michael C. Roberts

Caveat: These are based upon my observation of Web sites and are rather
objective - not based upon any user research.

I prefer "Edit" for attributes that refer strictly to the system: Display
preferences, customized portal links.

However, "Update" and "Modify" are often used in reference to attributes
that have a literal or metaphorical presence in the real world: items in a
shopping cart, mailing address, bank account information.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jeff Albro

I tend to associate "update" with confirming a change I've already made,
not initiating a change process.

I like edit, but I'm a geek.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mahmoud of Imägo Studio

Have you researched the various UI guides ?
Macintosh & Windows. That would be a good place to start. The web has few of
these labeling nomenclature standards- unfortunately. Though Steve Krug goes
into them a little in his book.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Andy Dent

Sorry Aimee, I have mixed responses for you.

Edit is a very technical term for a lot of people. It isn't a word that
people
use in general conversation until they have been taught to by computer
programs.

However, you always have to bear in mind people's intent and ambiguity.

Some people may be concerned that a button which says "Modify" or "Change"
is
requiring them to make changes or that they have the potential to damage
things.
(Yes, I've developed a lot of software for very naive users over the years
:-)

Edit does have the virtues of being short and may be a learned term for
having
the opportunity to change things.

Review is another term I've used, which implies the ability to make change
but
emphasizes viewing over changing.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Todd Levy

Don't think there's any standard here.

Personally, I use the term "update" or "apply" when setting controls are
incorporated on the page and the button (or link) reloads with the newly
selected settings. For example, on last page of a purchase pipeline (i.e.
checkout), I'll typically provide a way for the user to "update" the
shipping method so that the same page redraws (or the user perceives that
the page redraws) with the new setting applied.

I use "change" or "edit" when the information in question is fixed on the
original page and the button takes you to a different page allowing
modification. Again, on the last page of a checkout pipeline, I'll typically

have a "change" button take the user to a new page (or a perceived new page)

to change values in the shipping address.

As for choosing a term, I find the "update / change" pair to be less
technical (i.e. gear-headish) than "apply / edit." I choose the term-set
based on an understanding of the audience's bias. Never really used "modify"

before.

Hope this is helpful. Please feel free to get in touch if you'd like to chat

in more depth.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Antoine Borg

I have always thought of "Edit" as being a techie term like "file" or
"directory".  In my apps (I'm a s/w developer mainly) I tend to use
change/update/modify depending on the users.  I had a client requiring
production monitoring s/w who worked by using "Change request forms"; in
this case, using the word "Change" made sense to them.  Another client
always used the term "update" when he meant "change" so I made sure the
captions read "update".

With my web and component development I find that this issue comes up a lot.
(as well as your example think of delete/remove or insert/add).  I find that
choosing the least technical term makes for easier reading and greater
usability, i.e., "change" not any of the others ("add"/"remove" not
"insert"/"delete").  I've always thought of these as being less technical
and more understandable.

Having said that, people who are non-English speakers and who learnt English
through scientific courses and materials would be more familiar with the
technical terms. I would expect someone of the sort to have "delete" in
his/her vocabulary but not necessarily "remove".

I suppose it boils down to the old chestnut about your target market.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anastasia Fischer

I think what you choose to use depends on the industry your application
addresses: I primarily work with the financial industry and that audience
seems to prefer 'edit' when modifying things that have a long-life and are
Customer managed (e.g. templates, etc) and 'modify' for things that are in
transition (e.g. such as a wire transfer that needs to have specific changes
made during the course of its very short lived approval-release cycle) We
separate out the terms in order to help the User have awareness of ownership
and time issues... Also we have inherited certain traditions that in a fast
paced business environment are maintained in  order to help users adjust to
the incredible number of interfaces they have to encounter.
Hope this helps.