Testing in Japan - SUMMARY

Leigh Lammert <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:57:12 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded with recommendations for testing
facilities in Japan. Below is a summary of the various companies I was
referred to:
InfoPlan
Contact Harumi Fujiwara (female)
email: [log in to unmask]
phone: 03 3265-8822
fax: 03 3265 5419

They have 2 buildings with several rooms in each. They will do the
recruiting and they have interpreter's available. As part of their
services, they have focus group moderators who speak Japanese, and you
could sit behind the glass and listen to a live translation from someone
who would be in the booth with you (recording).

We found it took a lot more than we had expected to confirm the details -
schedule, costs, etc. - the time difference definitely affects the ability
to go back and forth on details, and we found that asking 8 questions was
overwhelming, we needed to clarify one detail at a time. And no matter how
clear your request is, you will probably be asked several follow up
questions - sometimes there is a undertone that is definitely not a direct
"no" but an indirect way of suggesting it might be more difficult,
sometimes that means it won't happen, even if they agree to try - and their
cultural process for recruiting and getting commitment is different so
maybe you want to know way ahead of time the sample details - names, etc,
but they won't have the final schedule until the day before the tests
start. Because, they are not comfortable asking people to commit too far
ahead of time, etc. etc.

The evaluators they found us were just excellent, really great, nice,
articulate, enthusiastic - really wonderful recruiting I thought. And the
number of details you'll take for granted are kind of daunting - at least
in our experience - if you need to get something printed up in Japanese, it
needs to be translated ahead of time, etc. And getting color printing done
maybe isn't as trivial as you might have thought, etc. etc.
--------------------------------------
InfoPlan is one of the 2 or 3 big field recruiters in Tokyo. They have nice
facilities and really good camera options (we were in one room with 4
cameras allowing us really great angles on our design activities). However,
I can't speak to their technical set up, i.e, computers and internet
connectivity.

They also had a really great pool of translators to pull from.  One
individual we particularly liked was Maki Ameymiya.  Her email is
[log in to unmask]  However, if you decide to work with Infoplan, they will
do all the arranging for you.

This is a full service firm, so it will tend to come with full-service
prices. However, the benefit to you is that they will really take care of
you.

I did get to see some Usability Testing work on product prototypes in which
an American facilitator and a translator did the tests with a single
respondent.  It seemed to work pretty well.  The lab was pretty tiny though
and camera stuff not as sophisticated.

A few observations:
We did facilitation ourselves as well in small groups -- it went very well.
Since our project was rather unique, we were actually doing design
exercises on product prototypes with consumers, we had to be ultra-prepped.
I think a big key was taking lots of time to walk the interpreter through
an entire session.  We did a dress rehearsal and had a couple of our
Japanese speaking staff play consumer and worked through the guide and
exercises. This way the interpreter really understood what we were looking
for as answers and what our likely follow-ups were going to be.  And, we of
course ended up changing our guide because we realized we still had too
much stuff to go through.

We also asked her not to do simultaneous translation...but to take the time
to translate each person one at a time. It is much easier to follow on tape
later on.
Morgan Stanley
(contact Luca Mugnaini [log in to unmask])
Luca works in Usability team of Morgan Stanley in Tokyo. They mainly test
Morgan Stanley products, but sometimes do tests for external clients. Team
consists of people from Italy, UK and some Japanese.
Human Interface
www.humaninterface.co.jp/english/index.htm
Office is located in Chiba (close to Narita Airport, more than one and half
hour by train from Tokyo).  There are two separate testing rooms. They
provide video shooting and necessary equipment (which they set up) for
recording. Available communication lines include: ADSL (8MB), Digital line
(128k), and analog phone line with maximum of 56k.

In general, the translator needs 3 skills for translation:  translation in
both English and Japanese, computer knowledge and knowledge of the object
which will be tested and evaluated.
BeBit
www.bebit.co.jp/english/index.html
facility is located in Yurakucho(Ginza) or Roppongi
NOVAS
www.novas.co.jp/english/index.html
Their office is located in the Shibuya area in Tokyo. They have their own
lab facility, but they may not allow outside companies to rent it.
Linnea Anderson, Usability Consultant, Dell
Linnea has experience testing in Japan, having conducted approximately 6
major research projects in Japan over the past 3 years.
Tenka
Tom Koehl is an American in Tokyo with strategy, design, and research
experience
Went to a workshop at CHI a few years ago by Masaaki Kurosu called
"Globalizing Usability Engineering: Current Status in Japan" he may be a
good point of contact.....
Jian Hu [log in to unmask], PHD candidate in Japan.
http://se.aist-nara.ac.jp
Lab has an eye camera and many other facilities have been used for web
usability testing.
Lab is located in Nara, Japan (near to KIX of OSAKA)
IID, Inc.
www.iid.co.jp/iid-e/cp/in.htm
They have good facilities with a large database of respondents for
usability testing, however, their resources are managed by Research
Network, their subsidiary corporation. Research Network's website:
http://www.re-net.co.jp/e/index.html
U'eyes novas
http://u-eyes.novas.co.jp/contact/contact_index.html
Susan Dray is a consultant who presented at CHI 2000 in Seattle (email:

Leigh Lammert
Certified Usability Analyst
MasterCard International

Phone: 636-722-7267