Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  July 2002, Week 2

CHI-WEB July 2002, Week 2

SUMMARY: Checkout page sequence and combinations (long)

"Dana E. Chisnell" <[log in to unmask]>

Dana E. Chisnell

Tue, 9 Jul 2002 06:40:14 -0700

About a week ago, I asked the list:

 > Has anyone out there tested combined [checkout/account setup] pages? If
so, what order and
 > combination worked best for participants? If you have tested separate
 > pages, I'm also interested in hearing from you about how well that worked
 > and why.

Thank you to all who sent information about your experiences. Here's what I
heard:

One respondent told me that his internal users requested that all of the
checkout information be on one page.

--------------------

Another respondent said that for their order processing system they broke a
very long single scrolling screen into three screens. However, we provided
context at the top of the 2nd and 3rd screen to summarize what had been
entered on the previous screens.

--------------------

Melissa Marshall pointed me to Jakob Nielsen's E-commerce User Experience
Report? There are
nine reports included under this heading, one of which is "Checkout and
Registration Guidelines".  Individual reports are downloadable for $45 ea
from http://www.nngroup.com/reports/ecommerce/
[I bought the report and found that it did not address my issue. However,
there are other, interesting and related findings there.]

--------------------

Emma Riley wrote:
I am contracted out to an Internet bank in the UK, and we have a
lengthy/complex online application process. We originally tried to cut down
the number of pages as thinking this would make the app more usable.

However, two years and lots more tests/feedback on, we've changed our mind.
Putting multiple items into one page results in clutter, lack of focus, and
confuses people even more. We've found it is better to separate tasks into
digestable chunks/pages - people are generally more comfortable with that.
Will be interested in your results.

--------------------

Will Schroeder, from User Interface Engineering was good enough to
summarize some research that UIE did specifically on my topic. The bottom
line is this:

Guided by these results, we proposed an *ideal* checkout sequence – Choice
of Carrier -> Gift Information -> (All Charges) -> Login -> Shipping
Address -> Contact Information -> Payment -> Billing Address -> (Final
Summary.)

The information is really enlightening, though, so I include Will's
response in its entirety:

We did a detailed analysis of success and failure in checkout in a large
test series with users buying from their own shopping lists and using their
own money. 30 users, 80 tasks continued into checkout, 16 failed in
checkout – 20% of total

What caused the 20% failure rate?

It was *not* shipping costs. In another study where shipping cost did cause
most of the failures, we learned that shipping cost as a percentage of
purchase price predicts checkout failure. In the series under discussion
here we were lucky enough not to have sites that charged too high a
percentage of purchase price for shipping.

It was *not* validation per se. Validation did cause failures by blocking
(users unable to continue), but there was no correlation between number of
validations per visit and quitting. (There does not seem to be a
“frustration-based predictor.” Validation, no matter how excruciating, does
not stop users if they can fight their way through it. Of course, that's no
excuse.)

It was *not* the various annoying things that users complained aloud about.
There was no correlation between number of verbal complaints and failure
rate - or between any specific type of complaint and the failure rate.

It was *not* having too many pages in the checkout sequence (despite the
direct and indirect complaints which we also observed.) No correlation was
found between number of pages and “failure rate.”

So failure was *not* caused by something that is normally detected by a
usability test. What was the difference between the failing sites and the
successful sites?

Every checkout chose from the same set of 8 interactive components.
(Billing and Shipping Address, Contact Information, Payment, Registration,
Login, Choice of Carrier, Gift Information) but ordered them differently.

55% of checkouts did not have login, 44% did not have gift charges – but
presence or absence of those did not noticeably affect user success rate.

Each site (of eighteen) had a different sequence of checkout *components.*
We looked for elements descriptive of sequence that sites shared, so that
we could associate some with success, some with failure. We came up with
adjacent pairs.

Of 30 possible pairs of the 6 most frequent components, we only found 15
among the 18 sites. Also three of the six components were omitted on some
sites. This gave us 18 “sequence descriptors.”

We did 18 little experiments, comparing the checkout success rates of
checkouts that included an adjacent pair (or omission) with those that did
not. Some improved the odds of success, some made them worse, and some had
negligible effect. The results looked remarkably like common sense.

Omitting registration improved the success rate, omitting the billing
address (only using the billing name for validation of the cc number)
caused more failures, while omitting the choice of carrier had no effect.

Asking for contact information adjacent to payment or registration
increased the likelihood of users quitting, while asking adjacent to the
shipping address improved success rates. (And so forth.)

Guided by these results, we proposed an *ideal* checkout sequence – Choice
of Carrier -> Gift Information -> (All Charges) -> Login -> Shipping
Address -> Contact Information -> Payment -> Billing Address -> (Final
Summary.)

This study was presented at the Research Day Forum of User Interface 5 West
in April 2001.

Thank you, everyone. I hope I'll see some of you at UPA this week.

Dana
Dana Chisnell
email: [log in to unmask]
Build products real users can use to do real work.