Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  August 2002, Week 3

CHI-WEB August 2002, Week 3

SUMMARY - Do users routinely forget their e-mail address? (long overdue)

Sarah Ingalls <[log in to unmask]>

Sarah Ingalls <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:11:46 -0500

Hello Everyone ?

First, I must apologize for the substantial delay in posting this summary.
Originally, I planned to include possible solutions along with the summary.
Unfortunately, it now seems that we are not going to pursue the development
of this functionality as part of our project.

_SUMMARY_
I received many insightful responses to my query about whether or not users
routinely forget their e-mail address. It turns out that the question
should have been, "Do users routinely forget WHICH e-mail address they used
to sign up on a Web site?" The answer to that question is "YES."

There are several reasons why someone might forget WHICH e-mail address
s/he used to sign up.

1. The user has multiple e-mail addresses.

Several people suggested that I should look to the psycho-graphic profile
for our target audience. In other words if members of OUR user audience
tend to have multiple e-mail addresses they use on a regular basis, OR
switch e-mail addresses frequently due to work or other factors, there may
be a higher propensity for confusion and we should design accordingly.

2. The user has developed specific behavior around providing an e-mail
address.

It seems that many people have developed certain behaviors around divulging
their e-mail address. Users will use different e-mail addresses depending
upon the setting and according to trust. For instance, a user might create
a "fake" address or use an address she checks less frequently if the
expectation that she will be spammed is present.

FYI ? Before posting this query I benchmarked against 38 sites using e-mail
address as "username." None had functionality to notify someone who had
forgotten the
e-mail address they used when signing up.

My sincerest thanks to all who responded with such interesting advice and
suggestions. (See below for a full list of replies.)

_QUERY_
I am looking for information about how users behave when signing in to
access on-line benefits. Recently, concerns have been raised that one of
our users may "forget" her e-mail address and be rendered unable to access
her on-line services. (A little background - the majority of our members
use their e-mail address as their "username" on our site.) Thus, I have
been posed with a challenge:  Figure out a way to get someone's e-mail
address to them if they have forgotten it. We do not have a problem
providing users with a means to get their password if they have forgotten
that.

My question is two-fold:
1) Has anyone observed this phenomenon? Do users regularly forget their
    e-mail addresses?
2) It is my feeling that password hints have fallen out of favor
    somewhat within our community. What success has anyone had with hints
    or other memory-aid mechanisms?

Please post directly to me and I will summarize for the group. Thanks, in
advance, for any information or helpful examples you can provide.

_RESPONSES_
Normally I hate anecdotal evidence. And yet this is one of my pet peeves
and
I have a tiny glimmer of research to back it up.

I can remember my username. I have a standard user name I use on all
unimportant password protected sites (you know, those that aren't bank, or
so
on) I cannot remember my email address. I've changed it a few times in the
past, due to job changes, Spam filling up free mail, and now my current
practice of using different emails to protect against Spam (a.k.a. if I
sign
up at download.com, I'll use [log in to unmask]).

This means if I return to a site I go to infrequently, I often cannot
remember what email I signed up with. I have a very unique domain name, so
if I could search for that, it would help. (This wouldn't help hotmail
people, obviously.)

Now the thin research. Last user testing, I probed slightly into how people
use their usernames and passwords. Three users have the same sort of
behavior I have developed: i.e. they have levels of passwords/username
combos. They have a universal one, a shopping one, and an ultra private
one.

Maybe it's time to return to the username. Or at least offer a choice
between username and email address. BTW, return path www.returnpath.com was
developed to deal with the problem of defunct emails.

Christina Wodtke
CarbonIQ
I doubt it is really that people forget their email address but they
absolutely do forget WHICH email address they used at a particular site.
Most people have at least a home account and a work account but they may
have many others as well.  For example, I have 4 accounts (3 personal, 1
work) that I currently use plus at work I have several aliases and my
company changed names so at least 6 variations on my work account (my given
name, my preferred name, and my initials at either current company name or
former company name).  Of course that may be on the extreme side but it
isn't all that uncommon to have more than one email address.

Liz Fuller
I'm embarrassed to admit that, in fact, I forgot mine just this morning
when trying to log into a site.  The problem wasn't that I don't know my
e-mail address, but rather remembering which of my various addresses I
had used when creating my account on this site, which I use infrequently.
I have a "work" e-mail address and "personal" e-mail address, plus an old
work e-mail address that's still occasionally referenced because we changed
our domain name, plus an old personal address from a previous ISP which --
although I can't receive e-mail to that address anymore -- still identifies
me at some websites.

Usually my recourse, when I can't remember which combination of e-mail
address or user name and password belongs to a particular site, is to ask
for my password to be mailed to be, and start entering e-mail addresses
until one gets a hit.

I can't imagine too many scenarios where a user with only one e-mail
address would forget it.  But I think there are plenty of people who have
multiple e-mail addresses, or whose addresses change if they change jobs or
move, and maybe that's more of a problem. Looking forward to hearing what
others have to say,

Tom Weimer, Information Designer
Triveni Digital
[log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask]
In 1996 I developed my first site, and hosted in Geocities. Later on, in
1999 I finally had my own domain and host. Then, I went in Geocities old
address and made a link to the new one.  In 2000, I decided to check if the
link was ok, and found out that the page wasn't there anymore and the URL
were pointing to another one they created themselves ! Yahoo bought
Geocities and changed everything! What would I do, all my old cards had
that URL! I tried to enter on members page (they said everything would be
the same!!) and forgot my password. I tried hundreds of times, using all my
usual passwords and nothing. I looked for help, links "forgot the
password", and nothing.

Finally, I looked in an old diary and found the password I had annotated,
went back to Yahoo/geocities and tried it. Finally, I got in! I tried to
upload my logo with a link to the actual site, but a message came: "you are
child and not aloud to change anything. Ask your parents".  Ha,ha,ha!

After some days, I had an idea. I entered members page like a child,
clicked in the link for parents and made my subscription as my mother.
Then, me, mother of me, could finally change the homepage. But the address
was not even pointing to another, it simply disappear....How nice, han?

Note: they don't have any help at all for forgetting e-mail or passwords. I
tried all e-mail address in the site, and all came with errors. It was
impossible to talk to them or to have any help

Judith
JAL Design
Recently I have had problems when I forgot the login name for one of my
financial servers online. I have not been able to figure out a way to
retrieve it. I remember the password but not the login ID. I have been
trying permutations and combinations for the ID but in vain. Unfortunately
the ID does not coincide with any of my email addresses hence it makes it
all the more difficult to remember it or retrieve it.

Vidya
At the risk of sounding a bit ditzy, I must admit that I have in the past
used
my email address to sign up for things and forgotten which email address I
used later on. I guess it comes from having far to email accounts for my
own
good. Most sites don't have a way to remind me which email address I used,
so
I end up signing up again.

Amy
Another related and very common problem is when (1) they know the email
address which they use as their login ID, but that email account has been
closed; and (2) they don't remember their password.  They can follow the
typical "forgot your password" scenario to retrieve their password, but it
will be sent to an inactive account.  Any standard or popular solutions for
this out there?

Phil Arko
They DO forget they registration-purpose email addresses. Sometimes people
(paranoid like me) have more than one email address,
created especially for usage in such registration mechanism (something like
[log in to unmask] -- just an example), email address, which
they (me) never use for private mailing, or something else -- only for
registration purposes.

So, such email addresses can be easily forgotten (because they/I never use
them frequently). Usage of such address as login information can force me
to sign up with a real email, but this way I will always watch my back on
it -- afraid of tons
of spam, maybe. =)

Instead of email, usage of simple login is much simplier for me. Again, I
can got password in my junk email =) (it always forwarded to my current
private address, til becomes overspammed)

But it is mine and only mine. And I am paranoid.

Sincerely, Nicholas Jaremko.
I think there are three categories of people that you have to consider
here. Depending on which category your audience falls into, the email issue
may
or may not be a problem.

1 - People with only one email address - ever.  Some people, like my
grandmother for example, get one email address and use it forever.  They
know what their address is (probably have it written on a post-it note next
to their computer) and probably won't forget it.

2 - Technically savvy people with multiple email addresses.  Some people,
like myself, have several email addresses for different reasons.  I have
one
for my real job, a few for my side jobs, and one for listserves, etc.  I do
not forget my email addresses, but there is a chance that I would forget
which address I used to register with a site.  This has happened.  I have
lost accounts because I signed up for them several years ago and they
required my email address and zip code.  I now try to think back to what
edress I was using at the time and where I was living, etc.  You see what I
mean?

3 - Younger people who change email addresses frequently.  Some people,
like
my 19 year old sister, change their email addresses frequently.  I'm not
sure why.  She says she gets tired of the spam (her addresses are always
from free services and get hit hard with spam) and she gets bored with
them. People like this often forget their old email addresses.  She loses
accounts all the time because she has no idea what her email address was
when she registered.

So, I don't know if that helps at all, but maybe. :)  As for the hints, I
don't have any research information, but I know they never work for me.  In
general you pick a question from a set of options and then type in an
answer.  When you need the hint you generally have to type in your answer
*exactly* as you did the first time.  I always mess that up. :)

Tessa Johnson

Like most of us (IMHO) I have a few email addresses.  When I have to use an
email address to register at a website, I use whichever email address that
relates to the purpose of me joining that site e.g. my work email address
for say useit.com, my home/personal email address for general interest
sites etc.

I've also have many email addresses over the years as I've changed ISP's
and employers, though I now have my own personal domain.

In my experience, when attempting to login to a site using an email address
after some time, I often think "Which email address did I use"?   It could
have been an old one or my HotMail one as I did not want my usual email
address spammed.....

This has occurred on a few occasions over the last 10 years and has been
extremely frustrating.  No site I have been to offered any online mechanism
for uncovering your registered email address other than emailing Support
with as much detail as possible.

Regards
Kylie Veale
User Experience Consultant