SUMMARY: User Attitudes about Privacy

Maureen Kelly <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:06:48 -0700

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post on user attitudes about
privacy -- I received lots of great information as well as pointers
to articles, websites, and discussion groups on the topic.

Here’s a summary of the responses I received.

ORIGINAL REQUEST

Does anyone know of any research into user attitudes about privacy in
e-mail, web use, etc.?

I'm especially interested in information about:
* Types of people who are most and least concerned about privacy
* Types of information people are most concerned about sharing
* Circumstances under which people are more or less willing to share
private information

I found one interesting study from AT&T Labs, called "Beyond Concern:
Understanding Net Users' Attitudes about Online Privacy."
http://www.research.att.com/projects/privacystudy/

If you know of any other studies, or have experience of your own to
share, please let me know. I'll be happy to summarize for the group.

Mick Couper wrote:

Here are several references I have on online privacy issues:

Cho, H., and LaRose, R. (1999), "Privacy Issues in Internet Surveys."
 Social Science Computer Review, 17 (4): 421-434.

O'Neil, D. (2001), "Analysis of Internet Users' Level of Online
Privacy Concerns."  Social Science Computer Review, 19 (1): 17-31.

Phelps, J., Mowak, G., and Ferrell, E. (2000), "Privacy Concerns and
Consumer Willingness to Provide Personal Information."  Journal of
Public Policy and Marketing, 19 (1): 27-41.

Sheehan, K.B. (2002), "Toward a Typology of Internet Users and Online
Privacy Concerns."  The Information Society, 18: 21-32.

Sheehan, K.B. and Hoy, M.G. (2000), "Dimensions of Privacy Concern
Among Online Consumers."  Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 19
(1): 62-73.

Wang, H., Lee, M.K.O., and Wang, C. (1998), "Consumer Privacy
Concerns About Internet Marketing."  Communications of the ACM, 41
(3):
63-70.

Jason Hong wrote:

Check out:

http://www.pewinternet.org/reports/toc.asp?Report=19
http://www.theprivacyplace.org/

Cliff Anderson wrote:

The last CHI conference had a number of sessions on this topic.

Barry Caplan wrote:

>I'm especially interested in information about:
>* Types of people who are most and least concerned about privacy

Most people with a college education, Europeans, and Asians.

In the US at least, I think of you look at Maslow's pyramid, you
might find concern about privacy towards the upper middle. Some
people need to deal with getting food and air, and may not have the
education to deal with the concept of privacy issues (which is a
different story in itself) but that doesn't mean, even if those
people are in the majority and powerless, that protecting privacy is
less important to them or anyone else. Quite the opposite.

>* Types of information people are most concerned about sharing

- DNA,
- medical records,
- fingerprints,
- voice prints,
- any other biometric data,
- GPS tracking,
- ip address,
- passwords,
- credit card numbers,
- social security numbers,
- anything else associated with identity,
- anything else associated with physical location at a particular
time (cameras in public places e.g.)
- email addresses that could result in spam being sent,
- personal affiliations,
- criminal records,
- buying history,
- web surfing history,
- ability to make "fair use" of copyrighted materials,

to name just a few out of a long list in no particular order.

>* Circumstances under which people are more or less willing to share
>private information

Check out the recent enactment of computerized personal information
in Japan. The 2nd largest city in Japan (Yokohama) has refused to
participate. This is unheard of and unprecedented. We are not talking
about information local officials didn't already have, just the
on-line sharing of it in a national gov't database.

In the US, anything that smacks of narrowing of liberty and
Constitutional rights is going to get serious pushback - see the
so-called "Operation TIPS" for an example.

On my short list of things to re-read to remind myself of the same
questions from an earlier time: Orwell's 1984. Also maybe a history
or even transcripts from the McCarthy Hearings in the 1950s. Maybe
rent a movie called (I think) "The Disappeared" I saw in the early
80s because it now reminds me of how American citizens are being held
by their own government which claims they are not entitled to
Constitutional rights. Could be you or me next. This represents the
ultimate cost of given up private information, and one that may not
be paid until much later, well after the information is given up.

>I found one interesting study from AT&T Labs, called "Beyond
Concern:
>Understanding Net Users' Attitudes about Online Privacy."
>http://www.research.att.com/projects/privacystudy/
>
>If you know of any other studies, or have experience of your own to
>share, please let me know. I'll be happy to summarize for the group.

This is all probably further than you wanted to go, but there is
clear use of the web or other aspects of the net in all of the areas
I have listed and plenty more. For a no-nonsense branching off point
where you will find discussions of these kinds of issues as they
affect people's real lives, I suggest the well-moderated Politech
mail list and web site, if I had to pick just one: ------
http://www.politechbot.com/info/subscribe.html.   You might want to
ask the same question there.

Carolyn Snyder wrote:

> * Types of information people are most concerned about sharing

In the NN/g e-commerce tests that I conducted in early 2000 (along
with DialogDesign), we found that phone number and e-mail address
evoked the greatest concern on "typical" e-com sites. (A couple of
sites requested oddball info like US social security number or the
user's birthday, which were clearly out of line when buying
retail-type stuff - I've since tested financial sites where users
didn't balk at entering their SSN because they understood it was
needed to report taxable interest to the IRS.)

I've rarely if ever heard a user express concern about getting junk
postal mail as a result of entering a mailing address... on an e-com
site it's obvious why it's required (as opposed to a phone number - a
requirement which may actually come from carriers like FedEx but if
so this needs careful explanation).

Giving information about others (a gift recipient) may be even more
sensitive than one's own, especially when the recipient is a child -
I've heard users mention this. One user gave an interesting reason
for not providing the recipient's phone number - she didn't want
anything to "spoil the surprise." (It didn't occur to her to enter
her own number.)

From what I've seen, having a link for the privacy policy right next
to the phone number, e-mail address (or other sensitive info) is a
more effective means of addressing users' concerns than providing a
generic Privacy link at the bottom of the page where many users will
never bother to look. But label this tactic as "necessary but not
sufficient," since some users may not trust (or even bother to read)
the privacy policy. I've also seen that many people less familiar
with the Internet tend to confuse the concepts of privacy and
security, putting both under the umbrella of "Can I trust these guys
with my personal information?"

Marjolein Katsma wrote:

>I found one interesting study from AT&T Labs, called "Beyond
Concern:
>Understanding Net Users' Attitudes about Online Privacy."
>http://www.research.att.com/projects/privacystudy/

While it's interesting, note that this is a report on a survey under
mostly AMERICAN (and they mean US and Canada) internet users. Only a
few from "other countries" (unspecified). Count on finding different
results and attitudes with (West) European users, for instance.
(Don't know about attitudes in other parts of the world.)

http://finance.yahoo.com