Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  October 2002, Week 4

CHI-WEB October 2002, Week 4

SUMMARY: best method for task notifications (a bit long)

Pat Malecek <[log in to unmask]>

Pat Malecek <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:08:59 +0000

Lots of responses. Thanks!

My post:

A workflow managment system will be implemented company-wide. Part of what
it does will allow employees in any discipline to access a dynamic task
list. For example, an event triggers three messages/notifications: one
message goes to a manager to inform her that "event A has happened." Another
goes to a records facility saying: "event A has happened, pull file and send
to X." And a third goes to, say, shipping. (And the action of each of those
recipients could trigger other notifications.)

Aside from stating: "Make it configurable by the user," is there any
research declaring the effectiveness and/or annoyance factor of different
notification tactics, i.e. a pop-up for each notification vs. a latent list
on a web page. Keep in mind that depending on one's position/duties, one
could receive two notifications a day or dozens a day.

Any tips greatly appreciated. Respond to me and I'll summarize. Thanks!

Pat

**********

>From: "Tom Croucher" <[log in to unmask]>

Although I have not seen many reports on this subject perhaps a little IT
helpdesk experience may give you some clues. Firstly a lot of people like to
program those windows pop-ups (the type you click ok to in the centre). I
would avoid this since we use this for system wide notification and we find
that many user click it off on instinct when it interupts their chain of
thought, and hence don't actually read the message. I would put this down to
error message syndrome. My own guess would that an outlook style chime and
flashing notification in the bottom left corner to alert users. You could
impletement a combination of the two. Perhaps you could even find a way to
ensure that urgent pop-ups remained on screen for say 10 seconds before the
user could click them away.

**********

>From: Martin_P_Burns/UK/MCS/PwC%IBMGB

It will vary according to:

1) The significance of the request to the organisation (How urgent is it?
What's the timeline for completion? What's the impact if it doesn't happen
in time/at all?)

2) The significance of the request to the individual (How much do I care if
I do it or not in the timeline? What am I expected to do with it? What %age
of my workload is responding to these and how central is it?)

If the answer to (1) is anything like Medium or greater, then I would be
very cautious about making it user configurable.

A useful tool for understanding part of (2) is the RACI model. The
recipient can be:

**************

>From: "Tessa Johnson" Reply-To: [log in to unmask]
>
>How about some sort of task application that runs as a service.  The user
>could leave a little window open (kind of like ICQ messaging) and messages
>could appear there.  You would probably want to show a message header and
>the user could click on it when they are ready to view the full message.
>Maybe play a sound when a message arrives.

This would be less annoying then alerts popping up all the time, but it is
also more real-time then a web page would be.