CHI-WEB  November 2002, Week 2

CHI-WEB November 2002, Week 2

Tom Croucher <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:24:46 -0000

Hi everyone these are the replies (I have added each person email at the
end of their comments) regarding my query about how users complete forms
using the keyboard. I have also added a few comment since this might make
a good discussion also.

>From what I've seen, most users don't realize they can use the keyboard in
>the way you described, not to mention that it's counterintuitive to type
>"33" to select 30. Whenever I conduct usability tests where tech-savvy
>people are screened out, I see people using the mouse to navigate lists. Or
>if they do type, they try to type the word they want rather than repeating
>the first letter. For example, to select France from a list, they type "FR"
>and then wonder why it's whisked them off to Romania.
>
>Carolyn

Carolyn although I do certainly agree that most users do not know how to
use the keyboard to do what I suggest, however I do think that it is
possible perhaps to optimize menus for both novice and power users. For
example a power user selecting from a drop down list of months which is
numerical will probably be best using the mouse. This is because to select
from January (01) through to September (09) they would have to repeatedly
press the "0" key. However if the month name are displayed then the
maximum key presses is a power user would need is 3 (those being of course
"jjj" for July). I would also say it is pretty safe to assume users who
would use the keyboard select can probably select from a named list as
easily as a numerical list. However there is one important issue to ensure
that this is usable, a default value must be shown. Although the size of
the box could denote the way the months are denoted it still forces users
to pause and think (more than once have I futilely pressed "o" for October
and then realized my mistake).

You do raise a very interesting point with user pressing "fr" to find
France and ending up with Romania. I must admit I have done this myself. I
feel myself compelled to make a prototype of a system which allow you to
do this. My instinct would be to have a nearby un-focuable box which
displayed the current 'position' (ie "f" then "fr" etc) and allowed you to
backspace.

>Hi,
>An opinions / observations:
>
>As far as ordering of terms in a drop down, if a user is using keys to
>access the data, the most usable way to present this is alphabetically or
>in numerical sequence.
>
>For example, a user attempting to access the year "2005" from a drop down
>list could hit the "2" key a series of times and manually iterate over the
>sequence of years up to the desired year (2002->2003->2004,etc).  I have no
>research or data to back this up, however, presenting these options in a
>different order may make this process less than satisfactory for the user.
>
>In terms of ordering countries, or autoselecting option values - having
>dealt with a number of international companies and clients, I can say that
>many don't think highly of automatically selecting "united states" as the
>first in a country list, as it seems to be one of those common
>"U.S.-centric" annoyances that bother many international customers.  Unless
>a generous majority of a website's customers are from the united states,
>autoselecting countries should be avoided.
>
>Geoff B

Geoff I certainly agree with you about keeping list ordered. Any
de-ordering for k/b (keyboard) user would alienate non-k/b, which would be
a big problem. Especially since if your navigation wasn't as intuitive as
your thought you would be killing of the escape route.

US centricity seems a little inevitable in many sites these days but on my
travels I have to say that the US is still the .con (and no I didn't typo)
haven much more than anywhere else. The penetration of net access means
that e-business is still stronger in America than anywhere which means the
rest of us will have to sulk quietly. However I do wonder whether perhaps
putting "United Kingdom" at the top of the "u"s in the list would be
appropriate due the to the (I assume) significantly larger amount of
customers, rather than say the "United Arab Emirates". Of course more
recently I have spotted a few "United Kingdom" centric sites. ;)

>I can't speak for other users but from my personal perspective, I think
>it is much more time consuming (and frustrating) to have to select from
>drop down menus when there are a lot of values in the drop down (such as
>31 days in a month).  I find it much quicker to just type in 30.   The
>downside of this is that some users may not always understand what to
>type which may impact the quality /of data collection (or integration
>with other backend systems).  e.g. do you type 03 or 3 for single digits.
>
>Hence from a usability perspective it might be easier to just type but
>from a quality of data perspective it is probably better to have a
>dropdown.
>This is my personal opinion only and is not based on any usability
>testing or observations.
>regards
>Tania Lang

>Take a look at the article Seven tricks that Web users don't know:
>http://www.guuui.com/posting.asp?postingID=178
>
>Henrik Olsen

I hope maybe we will all try to provide lists (and other form elements
that I haven't really thought about) which are nice to both power and
other users. If anybody thinks I am trying to over complicate things (as
usual) please let me know, I always open to persuasion about anything.

Tom