Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  January 2003, Week 1

CHI-WEB January 2003, Week 1

Designing Web Application Home Pages Summary (Long)

"Bollaert, Jodi" <[log in to unmask]>

Bollaert, Jodi

Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:22:07 -0500

Greetings!  Below is a summary of responses I received (from CHI-WEB and
SIGIA) to my post about designing Web application home pages.  Thanks so
much to everyone who responded with tips and suggestions.  As always, you
are an amazing resource!

From Peter Sullivan [[log in to unmask]]:

This is not a direct answer to your question, but a pointer to something
that might interest you:

The big web app controversy is if you try to be "application-like" (direct
manipulation and minimal navigation) or if you embrace the html navigation
model. I think it really depends on the UI technology you use and the tasks
required.

Jared Spool is doing a Web Application Design Summit Jan 27-28.  It looks
really interesting.  I want to go, but my company can't pay for it right
now. ;-(

Thanks for all your help with the wizards!

From Cindy Lu [[log in to unmask]]:

Here are some thoughts based on my experiences:

1) List the entry points of the most common tasks on the home page.
2) Usually, there are not a lot of entry points so the home page is quite
empty.  In this case, place  more detailed information for the user to
perform the tasks.  For example, instead of placing "Search for accounts"
link, in addition, you place common search criteria so that the user can
perform the search immediately.
3)Design some customization areas.  For example, Messages, Reminders, etc.
4)Place navigation links to other applications if it is common that the user
needs to go to other applications from this application.
5)Some admin links can also be placed on the home page - e.g. preference
settings, technical support, etc.

- Cindy

Stephen Holmes [[log in to unmask]]:

Hi Jodi,

I've designed a number of web-based applications that where originally
desktop-bound; some originally based on Windows applications built in
Access and others in Delphi. I've also worked on WAP and SMS
applications in the telco market and all have different user interaction
targets and limitations.

I'd welcome feedback from the list on my ideas and questions as well, so
here goes!

When translating a desktop application to a web application you have to
platform. Graphics are nice but will come after all user tasks are
specified and given their weightings and expected outcomes.

So let's start with our legacy application on the desktop. The blank
page on this desktop application is the "clean slate" on which the user
builds content.

The blank screen in any app on a desktop platform normally has a tool
bar at the top of every new page that is always the first point of
interaction with the application.

MS have added a primary task option window to a lot of their
applications to prompt the user on which task they wish to complete.
This window dressing has been added to get over the old 10/90/10 law
that only 10% of users know about and use 90% of the application and 90%
only use 10% of the application. The window shows all of the features of the
application at the start of each task. These options are also available from
the traditional pull-down menus so selection of the primary task can be
started in more than one way.

A user selects options from the drop-down lists and then uses that tool
in real time. Reaction is instant in the desktop app screen. The next
task is completed in the same way and errors can be instantly recognised and
fixed.

On a web application there is a web pipe to send instructions back to
the server-based application. Interaction is not instant and usually
only small increments of a task can be completed at each step before
sending the changed state(s) back to the app on the server. The result
is sent back to the web browser window of the user and the next action
is then planned and undertaken. Errors are harder to fix, especially if
a change has been made to a database on the server.

Flash and Java get around a lot of these pipe issues but have problems
of their own which I'll not go into here (don't want to start a holy war
here ;-) .

OK, so the first problem you have when designing a web-based application is
not what it looks like, but how fast it loads and how much server work load
is inflicted by a user for each step they take. The bigger in file size the
page is, the bigger the time lag between action and result. Multiply that by
how many sub-tasks are required to complete a primary task and you will have
an idea of the frustration level you are inflicting on your users.

Broadband helps here, but remember that even in the US only 50% of users
have it (in Australia you are looking at only 10%!) so don't assume you can
load up heaps of graphics to make it look good. Work for inclusion of as
many simultaneous users as possible.

just not on. I've worked on applications designed to have 2,000 to
20,000 simultaneous users and 60,000 subscribers and you can imagine
what sort of load even a 50k opening page will have on your server(s).
Your server vendor will love you but the beancounters and techs will
hate you ;-)

The web interface to an application has to show the following:

All Primary Tasks - the primary purpose(s) of the application.

All Utility Tasks - membership, administration and preference screens
                     (or one-click access to these utility tasks)

On-line Help      - how-to and demonstration screens are important
                     since the user doesn't have any printed manuals.
                     (HTML or PDF - both is better)

Contact Links     - access to phone- or e-mail-based help. This is an
                     application, not a content site, so there may be a
                     time frame issue with the user's task. Contact
with humans may be vital.

Privacy Policy    - people may be entering personal information even
                     just to register, and most countries - not just
the one you are hosting in - have legislation                      covering
the use of that information.

From Manjo [[log in to unmask]]:

Hi Jodi,

In my experience designing homepages for web applications, there have
been two perspectives -

User's
The user would simply prefer a dumbed down version, ie, just the
username/password/any other validation requirements - followed by
OK/CANCEL actions.

Client's
Well, this often goes contrarywise - the client would mostly like to
see a colourful splash on the homepage. Though for an application
that's used frequently by a user, this kinda splash seems more like an
obstacle before getting on to the real thing.

Now, the colourful splashy homepage makes sense only when -

1. You're selling the product online, so need to do some hardsell on
the homepage - so as to sufficiently encourage user to come hither
2. There's a real value add - such as a useful Tip o' the day, an
update, other means you could think of.

In most cases, the product is not exactly 'searching for a customer
online' - all the selling hapens in the real world - so you could
safely opt for either the dumbed down version, or an attractive
homepage with a real value add.

Hope this has helped. Let me know, I could send you samples of both
types.

From Pradyot Rai [[log in to unmask]]:

This is one of my quest too to discover some kind of pattern, UI guidelines,
or the commonness across the web-stand alone applications. Tilll today, I
haven't got very good answer. Web remains a medium for expressing freedom,
there's hardly any standard which I can derive.

But some of the studies I have done to build my own 'UI Style Guide' is by
looking constantly at 'Yahoo', 'MS Outlook - web access (MS exchange
version)' and some of the online interfaces for Supply Chain Products -
mySAP, etc.

I have appreciated 'Yahoo' UI standards so far the most meaningfull from
Usability perspective. Besides looking at how 'MS outlook - web access' is
designed to have same interaction with that of the 'MS Outlook - standalone'
would be a lot insiteful for your purpose. I am sure if you look at these
applications, you will surely get answers to what you have asked. You are
right, web interfaces mostly try creating a 'Home' because that is very
important to establish navigation and a sense of 'where am I(?) feeling',
under the shadow of browsers own nevigation and controls.

There is not one place where I found all the answers about Do's and Don'ts
in the web interface. Some of the people have tried doing it, SAP is the one
- http://www.sapdesignguild.org/. Although it is not an Interface Guidelines
but is a good attempt to define 'UI style Guide'. Hope this will help you.

Do share if you discover anything better in your research.

Pradyot Rai

From Ralph Lord [[log in to unmask]]:

Jodi,

Our current tactic is to simply populate the home page with the most
commonly accessed menu items when starting the Windows application.
However, since ours are mostly database apps, it pretty much is limited to
your basic find, create, edit, delete record functions plus some canned
reports.  We have some more complex apps upcoming and I'll be arguing for
using the homepage design as a litmus test for having a clear purpose and
use for the application.  That is to say, if we can't come up with a concise
list of what the homepage should offer, then we probably need to keep
refining the application design.

From Andrew Heaton [[log in to unmask]]:

Hey Jodi,

Most of the conversion work I've done is on private networks, so I can't
really show any examples, but I had a similar situation moving a lost of old
terminal applications to the web.  I'm sure you know terminal apps usually
sit there waiting for input, so the web-version had no interface at all.

I ended up using most of the initial screen (aside from any nav / controls)
for frequently accessed tasks or funtions of the app.  This took a bit of
research to see how people were using the apps, but works rather well. I
framed the highly used tasks almost like promotional ads, showcasing the
features. Many have since migrated into better UI as user proficiency had
risen on the promoted tasks.

Hope this helps,

- Andrew

From Kevin White [[log in to unmask]]:

You may want to take a close look at some the newest application
upgrades from Microsoft. Both Visio 2002 and Visual Studio .Net have a
task-oriented startup interface that is very similar to a Web application.

From Juan Lanus [[log in to unmask]]:

Hi, Jodi

> In a Windows app ... you start with a blank screen.
> On the Web ... create a home page that acts as a
>gateway/launch pad to the rest of the application.

Many Windows apps copy the design of Word or Excel and the like. That's why
they start with sort of a blank page. I call those applications "document
editors" after the type of work dome with Word and the like.
Due to the great influence of those MS products, lots of apps that are not
document editors were forced to adopt that shape. These are the apps that
Alan Cooper call "sovereign", apps that sit in the screen and stay there for
hours.

But not all apps are of this kind. Most business apps are of a kind that I
call "wizards" because they are similar to the Windows wizards in the sense
that they drive the user thru a series of steps to achieve one specific
goal.  These steps are a sucesion of forms that hopefully get adapted to the
prior forms content to help the user enter the data and to prevent them of
commiting errors.

The "editor" apps tend to offer the user sets of tools while the "wizards"
tend to offer a list of the available wizard programs. This list is called
"menu" and is usual in corporate IT apps.
Most web sites have menus, usually as a column of links to the right of the
window.

These menus are completelly different to those found in the Windows
programs. Windows menus dissapear all the time but tend to be available all
the time too.  Both characteristics are not desirable in most business
applications. A better idea is to let the users look at the available
options all the time the options are available, and to prohibit it's use
when not available simply by not showing them.

If your app will take one form or the other, it depends on it's peculiar
characteristocs and not on the technology it's being implemented with.

Also, you can mix. Starting with a menu, some of the choices are "wizards"
and other are "editors".

Editors are not very suitable for the web since thay imply almost
instantaneous response to user's input, which is not a feature of the
Internet. Instead the design should favour forms that download fast and have
enough data to fill so the user is working more time than waiting.

From Juan Lanus (2nd Note):

I've thinking on your conversion task and suddentlly recalled something Alan
cooper wrote some years ago, circa 1995. It's in his book "About Face". He
wrote about the migration of programs from DOS to Windows and mentions
specifically the Lotus 1-2-3 case and how it lost it's market dominance in
the move to the GUI. Basically the idea is that you can't "convert" a
program but instead you have to build a new one. He says that a Windows user
expects a Windows program and not a DOS program in a Windows envelope. I
think that the same can be said of the migration of a program from Windows
to webapp.  Trying to fit what you already have into a new media might
impair the former program's ability to perform or be usable, specially if it
was designed to fit closely the application model of the former plattform.
Cooper speaks from an experienced standpoint and that's why I think that his
counsel has to be taken seriously (the book is otherwise outdated and a mix
of tech and theoretical features).

I had an experience. Once I started migrating a couple systems that worked
very well in DOS and other terminal-like plattforms to Windows. The programs
are (still) VERY usable.  To make it easy I wrote a COBOL to Visual Basic
translator working many hours a day during several months. When I started
testing it I realized that it was completely useless: the structure of the
original progam was so totally different of the desired structure for the
new one that translating was impossible.  In fact I could translate, but
only to get the same program, which is useless.

And as always, I talk only about business systems. Other web uses, like for
example nice pages, are out of my scope.

If you can (I still ignore the type of your application) maybe "Java Web
start" is the technology that can most behave like a desktop app while
remaining web enabled. JWS is a standard feature of Java and in the
java.sun.com site there are lots of examples. Look in
http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/sightings/ for several dozen examples
you can run in your computer (PC, Linux, Mac, QNX, ...). Write me if you
want more details.

From Caryn Zange Josephson [[log in to unmask]]:

Jodi - this may be fundamental, but the best thing to do is to start
with user task scenarios, figure out what they need to do (or the
information they need) most often, and give that to them right up front.
Actually, it tends to be poorly designed Windows apps that start with a
blank screen, because nobody took the time up front to figure out what the
users needed to do the most...

For example, in a customer service application - are they mostly
responding to phone calls where they need to first search for an
account?  Then the search form should be right on the front (and
probably should be part of persistent navigation).

In a recent web app that I did, the users handle 200-300 insurance cases at
a time.  Part of their system is a 'to do list' for each case, that reminds
them when they need to take a look at it.  I always have a
"quick search" in the persistent nav.  On their home page, they have
links to the most recent cases they have accessed, and their "hottest"
to do list items.  They can go directly to a case, do maintenance based
on side links, or see a full list of "to do" items.

If you can, try to observe them working, and see how they begin their
day - what kinds of work they do first.  That can provide some great
clues as to what could go on the home page.

Good luck!

Caryn
From David Heller [[log in to unmask]]:
Hi Jodi,
I would need to know more information about what type of application it is.
But if you look at products like Visio for example, they no longer open with
a blank screen, there is a portal design that was implemented.
In general though I would suggest the same sort of thing. What "dashboard"
or portal like information would be valuable to the user in a startup
screen? Did they already log in? If so,you can associate all sorts of
personal information about them to the first screen, such as last known
configuration information, recently used objects, and stuff like that.
From David Heller (2nd Note):
Hi Jodi,
Ah! ok. So its an information application.
Sounds like you need a customizeable portal that the users should be able to
configure themselves. What are the reports that theya re most interested in?
What are the network systems that they are responsible for? Are there alerts
in this system? Then an inbox would be a definite good addition to a first
screen.
I understand why you are unsettled with the splash screen design. The idea
of an information application like this one is that it needs to do more than
provide navigation. It needs to tell the user where they should go. If
networks have statuses (traffic lights) than you can have a symbol that
denotes bad network areas. The those flags can then be read by their
parents, which create a flag for them and so on so that the top level
folders get a flag if anything in it has a flag, this way indicating to the
user ... Look here! guiding them. Or you can just list out red flag items in
a portlet of sorts. In the end you have to give the user indications and
contexts about where to go if you are going to add value to the system.

Hope this summary is helpful to others!

Jodi

Jodi Bollaert
Compuware Corporation
248.737.7300 ext. 10370

"Specializing in usability, information architecture, interaction design,
instructional design and more."

and then destroy it.