CHI-WEB January 2003, Week 3

prady <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:07:43 -0500

Hi there,

I am compiling all the mails I received for my post "Please opine on the UI
Design Process" posted on 3rd Jan. Some of the replies were very useful. I
have received some mails really very useful and indepth to the problem I
posted, and am taking no chance of editing them. Please bear with me.

Thanks a lot to all of you wit special mention to Michelangelo Capraro, Mark
Notess and Andrew H Otwell

Here is all that I received from you guys -

Mark Notess wrote -

While it won't magically fix all your problems, Contextual Design addresses
many of your concerns.  For details, see the book, Contextual Design, by
Beyer and Holtzblatt.

You can't expect expect stakeholders to know (or champion) user needs.  They
are a poor surrogate (even when the stakeholders ARE users).

Mark Notess
Indiana University

----------------------
Andrew H Otwell <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 6th Jan -

> 1. Controlling/interpretting the requirements (Analysis) - we have
followed
> various methods to contain this issue, such as, writing Use Cases,
> developing the work flow before we attempt to make the storyboarding
> happen. Still somehow the requirements have been the moving target and is
> one of the biggest worry of this process.

Sounds like you're doing more than most design teams do. It's really not
possible to eliminate scope creep (which is what you're describing, right?)

It's often very hard to argue against requirements creep from a purely
design perspective. Unless you have pretty strong evidence to exclude a
feature, it seems easy to just tack it on. Good user research can help this
by letting you focus on what people really need.

Find allies on your team who really understand the implications-- whether
technical, financial, time, or whatever--of changing requirements. A good
project manager can estimate the damage to the schedule and budget, and a
good development manager or senior programmer can estimate the impact on
system resources, her team's time, etc.

andrew
------------------------
Sarah Agarwal <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 7th Jan -

> > 1. Controlling/interpretting the requirements (Analysis) - we have
followed
> > various methods to contain this issue, such as, writing Use Cases,
> > developing the work flow before we attempt to make the storyboarding
> > happen. Still somehow the requirements have been the moving target and
is
> > one of the biggest worry of this process.
>
>Sounds like you're doing more than most design teams do. It's really not
>possible to eliminate scope creep (which is what you're describing, right?)

User requirements always go hand in hand with the objectives for the
development. Time spent on defining precise, measurable objectives will
reduce project scope as the user requirements analysis process will be tied
into these objectives. I agree that it's impossible to eliminate creep but
you can reduce it massively by sticking to the development objectives.

Sarah Agarwal
Project Manager (Usability)
Internet Developments Group
Institute for Learning and Research Technology
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/
University of Bristol
------------------------
Michelangelo Capraro <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 7th Jan -

Hello there Pradyot....

> 1. Controlling/interpretting the requirements (Analysis) - we
> have followed
> various methods to contain this issue, such as, writing Use
> Cases,
> developing the work flow before we attempt to make the
> storyboarding
> happen. Still somehow the requirements have been the moving
> target and is
> one of the biggest worry of this process. Is there any thing
> which could
> help an Interface Designers from such mess? Any Guideline, Case
> Studies,
> which could suggest me something better/different?
[** Michelangelo]
this has always been a problem I think ;) in one scenario, I learned
that to stop the requirements from changing, we made some time in the
schedule for the spec document to "float around" from stake holder to
stake holder and they could insert their comments (for some reason this
worked better than a web based solution we were using earlier). It was a
simple Word document and each section had an area at the end where
people could comment (this worked better also than using the track
changes feature built into word because you could see everyone's
comments clearly). We had a date the document had to be completed by and
if it slipped passed that date, the schedule would absolutely need to be
extended. We had to stand by that resolution because the minute we were
lenient here, people on the project took the due date less seriously.

The other issue which really was the major one was that our requirements
kept shifting because some of the stakeholders just didn't feel the
group had taken all of their issues into account. This is a common issue
with large projects, I find. Everyone wants to feel as thought they have
been heard and that their input was taken seriously. What it boiled down
to was having one-on-one sessions with stakeholders that still had
issues with the spec and not defending the spec or your position at all,
but fully embracing the concerns of the stakeholder (this should really
be happening all the time, but that's another discussion) so their
concerns are met and addresses in some way. Ultimately when the
stakeholders felt that their opinions and thoughts were really being
taken into consideration, the spec was fine. It's the psychological end
of things.

> 2. While doing the JAD sessions, we have faced lot of problems
> in taking
> the feedback from various stakeholders and consolidating it to
> form a
> result. I am looking for some kind of tool/guideline which can
> stream line
> JAD sessions. Is there any tool which can help creating
> Storyboard and
> share it with the poeple effectively? Can feedback be taken
> from various
> groups and UI Specs be created with ease, than going manually
> over the
> whole list of stuff? How can the Stakeholders be made equally
> responsible?
> Any pointer to this???
[** Michelangelo]
we never found the perfect tool. the process I outlined above might help
reduce the work if you do use the track changes feature in a spec doc
and have the stakeholders actually make edits to the document that you
can later review. For streamlining JAD sessions, we tried to assemble a
very tight agenda for the meeting and try not to stray from it. The
agenda was usually mad from a previous conference call or small meeting.

Capturing data from these sessions was always difficult. One of my
mentors would bring his laptop with him and had a FileMaker Pro (you
cold use any database program, Access, etc) where he would input items
that came up in the meeting. I have since adopted that same approach.
You need to be able to capture the information, quickly put it in a
category, and you could even assign importance to it. We even used this
system for capturing our own thoughts and issues on a project. when the
time came to formulate an agenda for the next round, we just searched
the database for the categories and sorted by importance. Then we could
see where the big issues were.

Another trick I learned from him was bringing a digital camera with you
at all times to take pictures of whiteboards or drawing pads. We could
attach these to items in our database so we wouldn't lose track of them.
It also made it easy to send out JPG files of the drawings, edit them,
etc.

> 3. Managing the expectations on how much detail goes in
> Storyboarding is
> another big problem area. We have performed the storyboarding
> by making the
> paper sketches and put it on the wall to explain and get
> feedback from the
> stakeholders/team. Is there any definition, process which can
> make this
> thing better? Please share some of the case studies if you can.
[** Michelangelo]
the process you are using sounds like a good one. in my experience, the
more "messy" (sketchy, hand drawn, etc) the story boards, sometimes they
worked better. I think its because when many of the stakeholders saw
screenshots or wire frames that were really detailed, they thought that
was the finished product. The sketches seemed to do a good job of
telling them "hey, this is a simple mock up, concentrate on the process
not the visual look and feel". I have seen and used some computer-based
templates and they certainly make things easier. I think the more
generic the template the better. I mainly used them for web development
and would always have on the template, something to the effect of "this
is not a representation of what it will look like, just a structural
diagram!".

> 4. After the storyboarding, we work on defining the Interface
> Widgets on
> actual wire frame prototype. For example, these widgets have so
> far been
> Menu's and Navigation, Selectors, System status, Alers/message
> consoles and
> the main action Portlets with various action and command
> controls. While
> doing all this we create a wireframe prototype for the whole
> product with
> almost all the screens (or screen instances). The problem
> always have
> remained that although the wireframe can try to mimic most of
> the
> behavious, it can't contain all the desired interactions. Is
> there any tool
> which could help writing 'UI Guidelines' or 'UI Style Guile'?
> Is there
> anything out there which could make this as complete
> requirement for the
> final product??? Has anybody ever seen what 'Yahoo's' or 'MSN'
> do maintain
> the standards?
[** Michelangelo]
hmm, I've seen some pretty big guidelines but many times they are huge
projects in themselves. I think the best thing to do is to keep refining
your template pieces or adding more pieces to it to make it easier to
use for the situations that arise. Thee key is still to make the
template devoid of any visual design: they are just boxes and works, to
maybe generic drop downs, fields, etc. This kept us from focusing on how
things looked and more on how things were laid out/structured. A friend
of mine co-wrote this book and I find it has some nice tools/guideline
template ideas in it: http://www.web-redesign.com/.

> 5. After the product is roled out, there has always been issue
> handling the
> Acceptance of the final product. In last 5-6 development cycle
> I have been
> witnessing the gap between UI team and Product Management
> getting wider and
> wider. Is there anything which could contain the expectations
> to meaningful
> ground and make people from bothe the side slightly better
> accountable?
[** Michelangelo]
this is a huge issue for web projects. I think its because people think
that changes can be made easily to the project even after it is
complete. One thing to do is to have a Product Management person be on
the project at all times. Actually in the UI meeting when possible and
be the liaison to the Product Management group. As for accountability,
that also a tough issue. I guess once a spec is done it can be broken
down into a set of requirements for the project that will be needed
anyway for QA anyway. I have seen cases where these requirements are
then presented to the stakeholders and basically singed-off on.
Sometimes these sign-off meetings added a few more "passing
requirements" to the list, but it should be a very simple outline of
what is a passing project. then when the project gets delivered, it can
be compared to the list. It sounds rudimentary but has worked on some
projects I've been on. The dialog is basically: "what does this project
need to pass" for each of the stakeholders. As long as these are met, no
one has a right to complain.

I hope at least some of this is useful.
-----------------------
Bollaert, Jodi <[log in to unmask]> asked on 10th Jan -

Wow!  You sound like you work where I work!  Would you mind sharing a
summary of any feedback you get?  I'd like to hear about some solutions to
the problems you've outlined so well.

Thank you,
Jodi

===============the mail I posted here on Jan

> (Please send replies directly to me and I will post a summary for
> discussion.)
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> I wish to take opinion/suggestion of people on one of ongoing problem on
> the UI design processes. I am looking for some tool (or set of tools)
which