Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  January 2003, Week 3

CHI-WEB January 2003, Week 3

SUMMARY: Editable vs Non-editable Dropdown

"Lu, Cindy" <[log in to unmask]>

Lu, Cindy

Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:56:58 -0500

ORIGINAL QUESTIONS:
Java Look and Feel book defines that the non-editable drop down has a gray background and editable drop down has a white background.

Is it confusing to the user to see gray background in a dropdown? Usually, gray means "read-only" for text fields. Most drops  downs in Window-based and web-based applications and web sites are non-editable and they have white background.

If we use white background for both editable and non-editable dropdowns, is it difficult for the user to figure out which one  is editable?  Usually, editable drops are very few but if there are both editable and non-editable dropdowns on the same screen, I think we should differentiate them in some way, such as using a short instruction.

SUMMARY:
1. Leo pointed out that editable drop-downs are confusing and they are rarely used.  He suggested use a separate text field for entering text to the list.
2. Melissa said the current style(i.e. gray background for non-editable dropdowns and white background for editable drop-downs) was good and was consistent with Military UI design specifications.
3. Glen thought the visual indication may not be necessary.  The user will see the field highlighted and the keyboard focus when clicking an editable dropdown.  Avi also pointed out Mac used this approach.
4. Elizabeth pointed that the term combo box should only be used for editable drop-down.  It's a combination of text entry and dropdown.

I checked the Microsoft Windows User Experience book.  It refers an editable drop-down as "drop-down combo box".  It states "The closed state of a drop-down combo box is similar to that of a drop-down list, except that the text box is interactive." (page 184)

To summarize the references, Microsoft and Apple both define that the closed state of editable and non-editable drop-down look the same, i.e. white background.  Java Look and Feel (Sun) and military specifications define that editable drop-down has white background and non-editable drop-down has gray background.

CONCLUSION:
I will recommend using white background for the editable drop-downs (or combo box drop-downs) since this style is commonly seen in both window-based and web-based applications. Another reason is that combo box drop downs are not used frequently in the applications.  Many screens in our application have a lot of drop downs and they make the entire screen look gray with the current look.

I would like to thank Leo Frishberg, Melissa Wills, Glen Walker, Avi Rappoport, and Elizabeth Buie who replied to me.

- Cindy

ORIGINAL REPLIES:

=From: Leo Frishberg======================================
This is indeed a source of confusion for users, but in addition, my testing
has indicated a base line confusion with editable drop-downs (combo boxes)
altogether.  As a result I almost never use them.  Instead, I use a separate
edit box and fixed scrollable open list box with appropriate controls to
delete and add items to the list.  While taking up much more screen real
estate, it is the only means I know of not confusing the user.

So if you don't use combo boxes at all, much improved usability all around.

=From: Melissa Wills======================================
I have always differentiated between editable and non-editable combos using
the same visual indication implemented to distinguish between all other
widgets that are editable vs. non-editable.  I've never had a problem with
it.  As long as the color scheme (gray/white or another) is consistent I
think it's a reasonable solution.

My opinion is that using the web and windows-based apps as an example to say
that they are usually all white still doesn't make it correct or ensure that
it's the most usable design!

Just as an additional note, my company designs communcation systems for the
military and this implementation for combos (editable = white and
non-editable = visually different background color usually gray) is also in
compliance with military UI design specifications (for what it's worth!).

=From: Glen Walker=========================================
I don't like the gray background "standard", and I'm actually surprised that it would be suggested.  Gray has always meant "read only" or non-editable.  In this case, while the combo can't be typed in, it is still editable by choosing an item from the drop down.  If I saw a gray combo, my impression would be that I can't change the value - period.  The drop down list would be disabled.

So, we're back to how you distinguish between a combo with an editable field vs a non-editable field.  I've seen some applications put the "down arrow" inside a container border, along with the entry field, to indicate a non-editable field.  When the down arrow is outside the border, then it's editable.  It's just a slight nuance, and is probably overlooked by the average user, but it is a visual difference.

Personally, I don't have a need to "see" a visual difference.  You can normally tell the difference when you "use" the combo.  When you click in the field, if it's editable, then the cursor is positioned where you clicked.  If it's non-editable, then the click causes the drop down to be displayed.

--Reply from Cindy-----------
> It think it is a good hint to the user when the user clicks the
> visible part of the combo box - if it is editable, the curse will be positioned to the beginning of the
> field; if it is non-editable, the entire is displayed.

--Reply from Glen------------
Yes, it's good, but you have to *use* the combo to get that feedback.  There's not really a visual way to distinguish it (other than the subtle border).

=From: Avi Rappoport========================================
On the Mac, I've seen editable fields selected using the standard
selection highlight color.  That tends to get my attention.

--Reply from Cindy-----------
>Do you mean when you click the arrow in a combo box, the field is
>highlighted and the screen focus is positioned in the field?

--Reply from Avi-------------
Right, click into that field or even tab.  I've seen it on Mac
browsers too, very nice.

=From: Elizabeth Buie========================================
In general, a dropdown is called a combo box *only* if it is editable.
That's what makes it "combo" -- it's a combination of a dropdown list and
a text entry field.

Elizabeth (editor of the definitions for HFES-200, the forthcoming ANSI
standard on software human factors)

--Reply from Cindy------------
Thanks for the information.  According to the Java Look and Feel book, it
is just called editable combo box and non-editable combo box.  I don't
remember what the Microsoft called.  I will check it out.  I guess there
are different conventions there.  So, is this the HFES convention?

--Reply from Elizabeth-------
No, this is from ISO (what HFES started with), and I'm pretty sure it
predates Java.  I don't know why Sun ignored it.  Maybe they didn't know
about it...

I bet it came from Microsoft to start with, though.