CHI-WEB February 2003, Week 1

Jérôme Ernu <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:43:06 +0100

Hello Chi-web readers,

Some time ago, I asked the list the best way to use online surveys to
evaluate que quality of a website (my question is the first item of the
following list).
Here are the whole answers I got. I was very pleased to receive a lot of
great quality and very useful answers !

Many thanks to every people who have taken time to write me an email. Be
sure I will take care of your advices.

Jerome.

Hello dear chi-web members ,

One of my client (running an important French website) is actually
thinking about a way to get online user feedback. We are searching
indicators to evaluate the quality of this website... Of course we first
have decided to run usability tests, but this client also want want
something "online" to reach a large sample of people.

We think to use online questionnaire which will appear when user will
left the website (pop down ?).

What do you think about online surveys to get this kind of feedback ?
What is the best way to use these surveys ? (before entering the
website, access by a link at homepage, pop down...).
What is the maximum numbers of question to ask before users forgive ?
Do you have others ideas and suggestions ?
Similar experience to share ?

**************************************
I would not use a popup or pop down since a common user will get
annoyed.
As an alternative I propose to use a clear message/link on the homepage
that
invites users to provide their feedback.

To increase the number of participants, you can combine the
questionnaire
with a game or offer a small prize to everyone.

That is the way we do it for a large European bank.
**************************************

We're currently running an online survey on our site
www.uswitch.com

It appears on exit - ie: when the customer changes domain and is set at
a sample rate of 1 in 7 (so every 1 in 7 people will see the survey)

If you go to our site maybe you'll get the survey on exit....

**************************************
just this morning my team is talking about using one of these for quick
feedback on a seminar we sponsored.

we are thinking of using surveymonkey.com -- you can check them out
along
with their competitors, who are listed on their site, under 'pricing'.

**************************************
I have used on-line surveys to great advantage in the past, recognizing
their inherent limitations.  That is, I don't believe a word of what I
read
in the survey.  I simply accept the mass "aggregate" results and look
for
general trends among the various pre-defined sub-groups.  I have always
used
surveys as the "cheapest" form of looking for the most important next
steps
to research - for example, if I see a general trend that respondents are
unhappy with a particular part of the web-site, I will use that as the
basis
for my conversations with actual users, focusing on that portion of the
web-site first.

I *never* rely on the survey results to actually make changes to the
site.

With all of that cautionary preamble behind us, here are some of the
techniques I have incorporated into the survey.

1) I never make the survey a requirement.  Instead, I feature it as an
option on the home page (or other prominent location) with some kind of
incentive to respond (1st 1000 respondents get a gift certificate from
on-line vendor 'X').  The inherent problem with this approach is that
the
respondent population is automatically skewed to self-selecting
individuals
with a need to tell you their opinion.  The alternative approach is to
randomly select individuals from a database of known visitors (if they
register then you can 'easily' do that), but then you miss all of the
un-registered individuals, skewing towards this segment.  It all depends
on
the nature of your study.  In one survey I fielded, I received between
25%
and 40% of the average visitor population that came to the site that
week -
with that large of a population any effects of skewing are minimized.

2)You mentioned your interest in evaluating the "quality" of the
website.
It is crucial that you define what this variable means.  Specifically,
you
will be asking questions about the attributes of quality - "relevance of
information" "look and feel" "timeliness of content", etc.  It is
crucial
that you define this measure so that:  1) your respondents understand
what
you are asking, 2) the answers they give are reasonably standardized
(one
guy doesn't answer it one way, while another answers it completely
differently) and 3) the answers provide you with some kind of clear
direction as to what to *do* about it.

3) For my survey, I was interested in the general questions of
look-and-feel, timeliness, ease of access and so forth, but those were
simple scalars (How satisfied on a scale of 1 to 5 are you with the:
timeliness, ...etc.).  The meat of my survey was in asking them to rate
the
"relevance" of specific *tasks* they perform on the site.  In defining
these
tasks, I made sure that information seeking, tool use, interactive
applications and so forth had representative questions.  Given 40,000
pages
on the intranet under investigation, I was forced to pick my questions
carefully.  To make sense of all that, I worked with the intranet team
identify a handful (between 5 and 10) categorical areas or attributes of
the
site - operations tools, human resources information, etc.  From these
categories, we defined 5 questions per category that the respondent had
scale.  Finally, we left three open ended slots for them to type in
tasks
they would normally perform that we hadn't listed.

4) In a later survey, for a related site, we refined the scalars.  In
addition to asking about relevancy (How relevant is this task to your
use of
the web site), we asked how frequently they performed the task both on
this
site and on other (competitor sites).

5) Our survey tool listed 50 separate tasks (in addition to basic
demographic questions for a total of 60 responses per respondent) that
the
respondents had to scale.  We kept the survey all on one page, requiring
only one page worth of scroll.  We piloted the survey to both test the
questions and the process and determined it took about 10 minutes to
complete.  We were very pleased with the response rate, and almost all
comments about the survey itself were positive.

6) We captured the data very simply and dumped it into an excel file
where
we ran basic statistical processes on it.  Capturing 3000 verbatims (the
tasks they wrote in themselves) was daunting, but probably more
informative
than the pre-set question responses.

I worked closely with a statistician in the initial conceptual
development
of the survey, the draft version, and ultimately the data processing at
the
end.

Bottom line:  only ask questions that absolutely provide you information
you
really need, and field the survey in the most humane, pleasant way
possible
and your respondents will be happy to help.

**************************************
It is very important to determine the objective of the survey (i.e. what
do
you want to learn?) and also what you will do with the data once you
have
it.

So many times, collegues and clients come to me telling me that they
want to
do an "online survey". But this is only one technique for gathering user
feedback.
It's important to know what you want to learn and *then* choose the most
appropriate technique for the job.

**************************************
We are the European master reseller for a product called WebIQ that will
do exactly what you describe.

**************************************
I think there are three major factors you need to look at with using
online
summaries. They are:
What kind of information you can collect with summaries
How summaries can be made accurate
How to implement online summaries effectively

With regards to your questions. Surveys are good for collecting basic
marketing and user audience information (Demographics, What kind of
information product the user is looking for and other similar things).
So it
really depends what areas of user interest you want to measure as to
whether
surveys will be effective or not.

Indicators to evaluate the quality of a website is a really broad term,
and
it is my opinion that most users arent going to pay real attention
usability
factors, like how easy it is to navigate through the site, unless a lot
of
work has already been done to make this possible. If you want to measure
usabilty factors with a survey it would be better to concentrate on
negative
instead of positive feedback form users becuase people tend to be able
see problems and talk about them more quickly then perfect solutions.
(e.g.
did you have problems finding the information you were looking for?)

As i said, surveys are better for collecting information on personal
user
preferencesWhile Surveys can be a good way for getting a hold of this
sort
of information, there is also the possiblity that that surveys can be
misleading if you don't know how big your survey sample is (number of
people
who fill out survey/number of people who use the site) and what the
average
profile is of the people who are filling out surveys as opposed to the
user
groups that are using the web site.

Finding this information out can naturally be a problem. It is my
opinion
that successful implementation of this kind of a project would require
getting these two types of information by using counters and also by
collecting personal information (maybe with a guestbook that could also
potentially double as the survey. Depending on what information you want
collect.

It is Crucial to make it crystal clear on the website that users can
help
make the website better by filling out the guest book/questionnaire
bofore
they leave, and it is generally faster and makes it easier to answer
questions if the questions are YES/NO close ended questions (check
box/radio
buttion forms). but of course you might miss important information with
only
these kinds of questions.

In any case, an online survey needs to be relatively short if it's going
be used by the general public or they will give up quickly. But, if the
users of the site have a real stake in the success of the website, a
survey
can be longer.

I realise this information is a little bit general but hope it
contributes
to the your research anyway

**************************************
I've actually conducted a bunch of informal research into this subject
matter,
and there are companies out there who are developing some pretty robust
(both technologically and attention to the user experience) features and
functions.

Here's a rough breakdown of potential strategies for using online
surveys:

1) Blind Pop-up or Pop-under Web Survey

- this is the most rudimentary implementation that you can deploy
- basically, you set-up a survey, and a given point of user behvior
(site
departure,
cart abandonment, etc), you trigger a pop-up or pop-under in the HOPE
that the user will fill out the survey
- works better if there is some measure of incentive, and a viral
component
afterwards
- good for gathering, demographic and topline psychographics (opinions
and
attitudes)

2) Targetted, Recruited Web Surveys

- this is a little more evolved in that you send an email with a link to
web survey
to a TARGETTED segment of your user population
- again, this will work better with an incentive
- good for gathering, demographic and topline psychographics (opinions
and
attitudes)

3) Context Specific Insterticial Web Surveys

- this is a little more complex than the previous strategies, but
potentially
offers you responses that cut closer to the grain
- difference between this and a general survey is that you launch