CHI-WEB February 2003, Week 2

"Hillan, Julie G" <[log in to unmask]>

Hillan, Julie G

Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:06:45 -0600

Thanks to all who replied to my original post! Here is a summary of the replies I received; my original question is at the end.

--JH
****
I can add a real life example where we branded a Public Web site, an
on-line securities trading application, a IPO auction application and
an "Accredited Investors" section where investors could check their
balances, portfolio holdings, request payment checks, etc.

Originally these were 3 separate applications and my client was
having just such a problem... People would log into the private site
and be immediately disoriented - user interviews revealed several
interesting quotes: "is this still the same company?" - "Is this some
third party hosting the company's logo?" "I trust the company, not
some third party vendor" etc.

I tied the applications together with some variances: I used text
only navigation to avoid latency issues of graphics delivering
through SSL and added some Place Markers to distinctly mark passage
between applications. working with the engineering team we also
arranged for all of the authenticated sites to be connected through a
Single Sign On scenario, thus reducing the inter-application friction
even further.

The result was a much more seamless page flow and was proved in
follow up testing (with a different selection) where there were NO
adverse (well, none questioning the authenticity or origins of the
sub-sites anyway :-] )  comments when moving between applications.

The client was WR Hambrecht + Co at http://www.wrhambrecht.com and
although you won't be able to see the secure  sites without setting
up a brokerage account.

HTH,
/Joe

****
We have just gone through this process with our client. Really the only way
to test it is to prototype both scenarios and test against each other but
here is an argument that worked for us...

We showed a user experience in screens. Where the user starts with one look
and feel, logs in and suddenly it changes. We made the argument that the
user just got oriented to the navigation and choices and suddenly needs to
reorient themselves and this causes confusion. "Why did this change", "What
did I do", "Where am I".

It will require you to mock up some screens but we found it does a better
job in showing the disconnect. People actually feel uncomfortable when the
design changes. In the absence of hard data you will have to show not tell.

Jon

****
I think a useful example could be the IBM "site" which I know from outside.
It's comprised of about 400 sites in different locations.
In the last several redesigns all sites were moved to a similar look,
while preserving their identities.
They defined a standard header that's present everywhere: this reassures
the user about the company identity.
Below the header content may differ. A light blue left navigation bar
seems to bad a rule.
URLs:
  http://www.ibm.com/us/
  http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/
  http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/
  http://www.developer.ibm.com/welcome/dw_join.html
  http://www.ibm.com/easy
  http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd
The last link is significant: Lotus used to be a completely different
company with web pages framed in yellow. Now it has adhered to the IBM
general look.
Also the redesign imposed common terminology.

Saludos
Juan Lanus
****
After having sent my mail about IBM behavior, something in my mind kept working in the background ... Should we call it "thinking"?  Uh?
I realized that when I'm working in IBM's pages (or any other such company) I don't care if the site is secured or if the padlock is closed or the like.
Simply I trust IBM as a serious company and that's all. Not big, just serious.
On the contrary, it I were in http://astalavista.box.sk (for example) I wouldn't feel safe even with a thousand locked padlocks and whichever security stuff were on display there.
So what?
Well, this is the point: build a safe company image in the user's mind. Don't worry about exposing your safety technologies (by theme changes) because for most users it's meaningless. As the difference between a site and a portal.

That's all.
good luck!

Juan Lanus
****
I share your concern about confusion when being transferred to a
different-looking Web environment.

However, if you are forced to have a different look and feel, you can
reduce the level of confusion by insisting that the two environments
share a few things in common. Perhaps they might share the same company
logo, same font, same approximate navigation schema, but use different
colors, backgrounds, etc.

It's not an all or nothing proposition, in my view. I work at
latimes.com, where the entertainment section (Calendar Live) is
mandated to have a different look than the rest of latimes.com's
offerings. It even has its own URL, www.calendarlive.com

If I was in charge, we wouldn't have done it that way, but it's a
compromise.

Jeff Perlman
****
An interesting example to consider is internet banking. The three financial
institutions I have relationships with use two different models:

1. Two of the three (both major banks, interestingly) have a similar
architecture to what your developers have done. There is a main corporate
web site that has lots of brochureware and publicly available content,
among which are prominent links to log on to internet banking. After you
log on to internet banking, you are funneled into a separate site, where
you can do your internet banking tasks but have to navigate back to the
main site to get to the brochureware and public content. In both cases,
this doesn't bother me in the slightest, as once I log on I'm focused on
doing my banking tasks and then I log off and surf off into the sunset.

2. In the other case (a stock broker), after you log on you are still
definitely in the same site, but now have access to more content and
functions.

As an end user, I'm happy with both designs, although I hardly ever look at
the public content at the site mentioned in point 2. My normal pattern is
access the log on page, log on, do what I need to do, log off and go away.

I know you don't want any preaching to the choir, but let me just wave my
baton a little :-) ... to solve *your* issues, you need to look at what
*your* users' actual needs are after logging in. What tasks do they
perform? Do they need seamless access back to the public content or can
they happily complete their tasks without knowing or caring if the public
content exists? Until you determine this, it's just your opinion and gut
feelings against theirs.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Stewart
****
Both ways work in my opinion, but it highly depends on what exactly the
portal is for.  If the only reason a user has an account is so their
personal account information is stored, then I agree with you 100%.
There should not be a separate look/feel for their admin. But instead
just some pages where they can view/edit their information.

On the other hand lets put the example of an affiliate.  Let's say you
have an online store where users can both make purchases and become an
affiliate to resell the products. In this case I would recommend having
a complete new site/system for the affiliate to do things like check
orders, how much money has been made, create specials, etc...

Basically it depends on the real reason a user would log-in to this
portal. But for the most part, I agree with you and find your point to
be completely valid and true.

Have a great day!

Kilay Reinfeld
****
FWIW, I have had some reasonable luck in these situations by using
architectural or even "interior design" analogies. When I point out that one
would probably not choose to construct a sleek, gorgeous, glass-everywhere
contemporary house on a hill overlooking the ocean --- and then have as the
foyer a small, dark, cramped "English gentlemen's club" style in the
foyer...well... that's when they start to get it. Even then, the argument is
sometimes, "Well, but the foyer is actually part of the house, so it **has
to** be the same style." Okay, but are you going to create a quaint, formal
Louis XIV garden as the entry courtyard to your sleek, gorgeous,
glass-everywhere house on the hill?

Okay, so the arguments are a little corny, but they do help people see the
situation in terms that make sense to them. Having an English gentlemen's
club lead to sleek and modern glass is disconcerting, disorienting, and
makes one wonder which element was "tacked on" --- which can also lead to
them distrusting the interior of the house/Web site.

Hope you can use some of this. It has helped me in the past. :-)

Matt Prather
****
ORIGINAL QUESTION:
I am working for an umbrella organization that is developing several Web
sites (one for each separate business entity) that have company
information and also a place where (registered) clients may access a
portal (of sorts), and where they can review secure, account specific
information.

The developers who worked on this project before me (an IS group) are
convinced that the portal (once the client logs in) should have a
different "look" than the Web site -- although users can navigate from
the portal to the other Web site-based information from the left
navigation. IMHO, this makes it much more confusing for users who do not
(likely) understand or care about the back-end and conceptual
differences between a Web site and a secure portal. Although I do think
customers have a need for reassurance about security issues, they go
through a stringent first-time registration process (including
e-signatures of legal and privacy documents), subsequent secure logins
for all other visits, and the privacy and security info is prominently
available from every point of the interface.

The developers have not done user studies yet, they do not use a UCD
process, so please don't preach to the choir, that is a whole other
"issue" I am aware of (and working on). :-)

My dilemma right now is developing a convincing argument for making the
Web site and portal appear seamless to the user. Why? Because my gut
instinct is that the design clues they are using to differentiate portal
information from Web site information are just enough to be confusing
cues -- a Web site and a portal are backend/application differences that
our client base do not understand or care about (a blanket statement,
but one I am willing to bet on).

I was thinking of using examples of well-known e-commerce sites that
also use client portals and have integrated the front-end design between
the two, but for every example I can think of, there is also one where
they have not. Does anyone have any anecdotal experience or research to
aid my argument? Please send to me off-list, and I can compile a summary
of responses.

Thank you,

Julie Hillan