SUMMARY: Links in e-newsletters

Pat Malecek <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 19:49:49 +0000

A few days ago I posted the following scenario re: format/function of links
in e-newsletters. The replies follow. Thanks to all who responded! - Pat

* * *

I'm in the midst of a debate and could use your assistance.

Let's say on a company's intranet, each of seven product areas has a "home"
page on which a publisher updates content and links to other content.

Then let's say that publisher is to send out a monthly e-mail (to
salespeople who have opted to receive it), which touts new content and/or
information available via his/her specific product home page.

Let's say the product home page contains summary information with links to
multiple other pages deeper in the site. If in one of these monthly e-mails,
the publisher is promoting three items on his/her product page
(which contains ten items), should the monthly e-mail provide three links
DIRECTLY to the deeper pages or a single link to the product home page?

If you can provide any insight, anecdotes or point me to research regarding
this issue, I'd be much obliged.

Please reply to me and I'll post a summary.

* * *