Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  April 2003, Week 3

CHI-WEB April 2003, Week 3

summary: secondary mouse click menus in web

Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:31:40 -0400

Folks,
Thanks to everyone for their insight and advice on this issue.  Below is a
summary of the responses I received regarding the risks and advantages of
providing secondary mouse click context menus in a web application.

We are going ahead with the plan to provide the menus.  Our application is
not a public or information type of web site.
It's accessed by users to perform analysis or transactional tasks.  We
will be replacing the browser menu where appropriate and
providing menu options that are specific to a particular data object on
the page.

Of course, we'll be collecting user data on the usability and usefulness
of this feature.

Thanks,
Marcy Walker

Response -- My initial reaction is that it would be not a good thing.  Not knowing how
people use your application, its hard to provide real intuitive advise,
but,
I would say that if your application 's users are fairly sophisticated and
use it regularly through their workday, any initial limitations would be
far-outweighed by the mid-longer term benefits.

This assumes that the user is really manipulating the data as they do in
many of the Microsoft apps.

If you find people are constantly leaving the mouse for certain
activities,
those would be the ideal candidates to put in the secondary click area.

Response -- What you are looking for is not impossible. Current technologies in the
more recent browsers make it feasible to have secondary menus.

This can be achieved with third-party components, as well as through
standard JavaScript and DHTML.

Most situations you should try to stay away from providing another
interface for the user to grasp. However we've used it to provide
familiar interfaces similar to that of windows in web content management
scenarios where the users are used to using Dreamweaver, Photoshop,
etc..

One great example is by the aspnetmenu.com team. They're component
allows us to create rich dynamic menus for both navigational as well as
for secondary menus.

Response -- We have multiple different web applications, none of which currently have
right-click menu. However, watching people use the products during
usability
testing a large number of users right-click looking for actions they can
perform. Some recognize the brower right-click menu & give up
(complaining),
while others try & use the browser functionality in the right-click menu
(choosing Properties expecting the item's properties, etc...)

The users seemed to try right-clicking on items that are hyperlinked
somehow
(in our case, these are documents, discussions, meetings, pages, and so
on).

Based on this, I'd love to see right-click functionality in our web
products.

In another web application I was looking at, users could right-click on
icons to get the right-click menu. Right-clicking the text beside the icon
gave the normal browser right-click menu.

Technically, how do you plan on doing the right-click menus if you go
ahead?

Response -- We've been working with this exact feature in the last few weeks.
Essentially we have a rather complicated financial web application (no
plugins, 3rd party packages) and we're building prototypes to assess the
utility of a context menu.

through visual design that this is not a standard web page -- that is,
users
will be manipulating objects and data, not navigating information.  We've
taken away all browser "decoration" and masked out web navigation keyboard
shortcuts.  Although this was frowned upon when we started designing (over
year ago) Nielsen seems to think it's ok now :)  You may in fact want to
check out the web app guidelines he's explored.

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021125.html

So basically I think it's fine to break the web paradigm if the
application
clearly crosses that line.

As for the contents of the context menu: we've treated the context menu as
only a shortcut, as in the menu shouldn't contain anything that can't
already be done by using one mouse button.  Most of our interactions
involve
selecting an object and taking an action on it, so indicating whether the
context menu is available is a moot point -- all visual elements that are
clearly objects have a context menu attached to it.

One issue we've run into is copy and paste.  Some users select text and
right click to copy and/or paste.  In these instances we allow the
standard
menu to show.

One activity we generally undertake is a direct comparison with a standard
desktop app, since we don't want any interaction obstacles between using,
say, MS Office, and our financial app.

Response -- One of the key problems to context menus is that browsers already use the
right click context menu to perform certain actions; i.e. the web brower
already has context behaviours defined for various elements on the webpage
(such as input boxes - copy, paste etc) and the webpage itself(save this
page as, view source, etc).

Adding context menus would thus have to "override" this menu. This adds
unpredictability to the UI, as the user expects a different context menu
than the one being shown. Thus this would lead to a higher learning curve
for the user, as he would have to unlearn the rght click action first.

If the web application is a generic one and is used sparingly by a large
audience (e.g. a currency calculator page on the internet that people use
once a week) then I would feel it is best to make the interface as
predictable and standard as possible - without new context menus.

If the application is a specialized one, like a banking application for
use
over the banks intranet, context menus can be used. This is because the
users of this application will be using this as a separate application -
they wont be treating this as just another website. Also, since the users
will be using this for longer periods of time, it will be easier to learn
and get used to.

An alternative method to secondary click context menus is an "action
button"
near any relevant object. This can be in the form of a small icon (e.g.
with
an arrow pointing toward bottom right) that, when clicked, will display
the
context menu. Personally I would prefer this method as not only does this
stick to the standard leftclick metaphor, it also allows the user to know
which objects have context menus available for them - something you can't
do
in normal context menus either.

Response -- I look forward to seeing what data you collect on this. We have decided to
implement right click menus in our web app as well. We offer right click
menus in our web application -- based on where the user is and what they
are
doing (the "state"). The same options are available at the application
level, but as in Windows we streamline the access by filtering the
relevant
options and displaying them at a field level.

I voiced reservations at the outset about the testing aspect of defining
menus at a field level - some QA tester will have to then validate the
correct appearance of menu options, whereas the user is not likely to
notice
subtle differences. I suspect we may land at a compromise where the
options
are defined in "zones," or collections of fields, rather than on the field
level.

Our web application is not one that will be publically available, however,
and as such I wouldn't have the reservations you mention about offering up
non web paradigm. As in everything else, I think your target user should
make the call. Perhaps you could support them in an initial release by
displaying a simple icon next to the fields with RMK options, and then
remove the training wheels as you build a user base?

Marcy Walker
Manugistics, Inc.
(301) 255-8192