Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  June 2003, Week 2

CHI-WEB June 2003, Week 2

SUMMARY: Questioning common test scripting (long)

UED <[log in to unmask]>

UED <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:20:23 +1000

My question was: how many use the seemingly 'standard' line in your
script of “We are not testing you” and if not, what do you use?

Just to let you know, I have always avoided the words "not"
and "test", negating the need to autonomically or subconsciously
introduce the notion that the user is being tested.  I often say
something along the lines of:
"Today we'll be looking at a new design for <'x' type of product>.  Of
course, there's going to be some flaws in that design, so the purpose
of today’s exercise is to find any areas that may cause confusion or
difficulty for people."

Thanks for all of your responses.

Here’s the summary:

Wendy Mason:
Interesting.  I just heard from a preschool teacher the idea that
telling
children what NOT to do is often exactly what puts the idea into their
heads. E.g., what do you think of when someone says "Don't jump on the
bed"?
What picture gets put in your head? Jumping on the bed. Instead, you
say
something like "beds are used for sleeping." This helps to more
accurately
put the right picture in their minds.

To answer your question, I do not use that statement in my testing
anymore.
It seemed to me that if the testee did not already think I was testing
them,
it would introduce the possibility. And if they had thought of it, one
pat
statement on my part wasn't going to change it. Rather, I focus on
explaining the goals of our product, and the fact that they will be
helping
us to see how well the product/website achieves those goals. I just
try to
make it clear how the product or service is being tested, and also to
highlight the testees' roles in making sure that flaws,
inconsistencies,
general sources of frustration, and any other problems are addressed
before
launch.

Elizabeth Buie:
We do.

In fact, we don't call it "user testing" or talk about "testing this or
that user" for that very reason.

John O'Donovan:
Generally I find that when gathering requirements or carrying out any
form
of testing I just tell people what I am doing and why, rather than
what I am
not doing. It's usually enough.

Meaghan Waters:
I pretty much subscribe to this theory and tend to use phrases that
state
what we are doing.
E.g "We're interested in what works for you and what doesn't work for
you"
"If anything's not working the way you expect it to, tell me about it
as
it's likely that there are lots of other people that are going to
encounter
this too". I use more this sort of language in the intro spiel rather
than
the "We are not testing you". I work on the theory that that is given
and so
it's important to say what we are testing.

Joachim Harloff:
to my knowledge the point originally comes from a statement of
psychology, that at least the sensual memory
would not store and process absent information (thus, the "0" being a
very important cultural invention). This is
widely used e.g. in NLP.
As a consequence, it was perhaps better to point at the things you do,
rather than to what you do NOT do. E.g.
you could state that personal data will be detached from the results,
or stored anonymiously, or kept secret and
destroyed after scientific usage, and that the whole process complies
with certain data protection regulations.
Anyway, the subject will probably only arise if the data you gather
are obviously personal and include personal
identity. I guess, if you don't ask people for their identity they
will probably not worry and any statements about
this will be superfluous.

Josephine Scott:
The question you pose is an interesting one.  I watched it unfold in
your
other post, but I was spurred to respond on this thread.

I use that statement, and I believe in it. Experience has shown me
that it
does have a positive effect.  I can offer you one example:

I have tested in a union environment, where trust was low.  Union test
participants felt a great deal of pressure -- some were sure that it
was
they who were being tested.  The *explicit* reassurance that they were
not
being tested provided them with some legal reassurance as well: There
it
was, on videotape, that their performance was not being tested.  Any
imagined negative repercussions that might result from this test could
be
mitigated via a grievance utilizing this taped statement.

Trust is a huge, preexisting issue with all types of usability tests.
How
often have you had participants ask if they were going to be
electrically
shocked if they got it wrong?  To mitigate that trust barrier, I seek a
reassuring manner, a tone of confidence, an attitude of
supportiveness.  If
I look someone in the eye, and tell them that they are not being
tested, I
believe that builds more trust than if nothing at all were said.

Kate O'Neill:
Here's an excerpt from the introduction portion of our script:

- "Welcome and thank you for agreeing to participate in this usability
study [...]. Your input will help us determine if our assumptions
about the
system are valid, if the processes we've developed work - in short,
you are
our testing partner. [...]
- "As you work, please tell us about anything you like or don't like
about what you're doing. Don't hesitate to describe anything you
encounter,
especially any problems you have during the tasks. Your comments are
important, so we'll be taking notes during the session, which gives us
record of what you're looking at. If at any time, you feel
uncomfortable or
overwhelmed, please let us know and we will pause or cancel the study.
- "I'll be using this script during our session to ensure that, as far
as possible, my instructions to everyone who participates are the same.
Sometimes I'll ask you how you would do something [...] and sometimes
I'll
ask you to actually try doing something. So please take your cue from
me as
to when to begin doing a task.
- "Are there any questions before we begin?"

Whitney Quesenbery:
I do.

Is there a difference between addressing an issue that is likely to be
on
the mind of participants, and introducing white bears into a
conversation
where no bears were already straying?

Switching the emphasis around, so that the purpose of the session is
first
and the disclaimer last also helps..it makes the "we are not testing
you" a
summary of the other information about goals, rather than an abrupt
introduction the the thought.

Josh Penrod:
I see what you are saying, but I think that is a misapplication of
Wegner's research.

Wegner was talking about thought suppression. Wegner specifically
challenged subjects to NOT think about something. Telling people, "you
aren't being tested" is not the same as saying, "During the next 45
minutes I want you to NOT think about being tested".

Users showing up for a usability session very frequently worry that
they ARE being tested. Not addressing that fear does more to skew
their thoughts than telling them very clearly, "Don't worry, you
aren't being tested here".

Leo Frishberg:
Great thread.

I have been involved in creating evaluation sessions for several
domains
(software usability, hardware usability, emergency management, etc.)
In all
cases, I strive to put the focus on the domain, not the participant.

It goes like this:

1) With one exception, the word test is never used throughout the
documentation - the name of the participant packet may have the words
"Evaluation Session" in it, for example.  When referring to the
session, I
always frame the discussion as an opportunity for me to hear from the
participant as an expert in their field.
2) The one exception is to state bluntly:  This is not a test. in the
midst
of a paragraph that describes the protocol for the session.  Within
this
context, the participant is clearly informed that the entire focus is
on the
system, and that they are being asked to help me because of their
expertise.

So, your proposition that the participant could respond to the "This
is not
a test (of your abilities)" statement as a contrary stimulus may in
fact
occur, but only if the framing context does a poor job of orienting the
participant in the first place.

Bottom line: context remains king.  This statement in and of itself is
not a
problem.  Rather the entire context of the discussion will be the
overriding
stimulus for the participant.

As another anecdotal bit: I have created these introductory remarks in
several different ways, sometimes without the "test" remark, sometimes
stated bluntly, and sometimes stated with additional elaboration:
(This is
not a test of your abilities, your knowledge of the domain, your use
of a
mouse, etc., etc.)  In many cases the elaborative approach (through
overload
of categories) tends to be an even better approach.  The participant is
unable to keep three or four possible "tests" in his/her head
simultaneously, and the whole model crashes nicely.

David Jacques:
In short, I don't use that famous sentence "we're not testing YOU,
we're
testing the system" anymore, as I also suspect it has an impact on the
user
for the same reasons you mentioned. I avoid the "YOU" part, and simply
emphasize on telling participants to work as they normally would, that
I'm
trying to find where the system creates some potential problems (or
simply
trying to find out how the system works). Probing during the test does
the
rest.

As in Focus Groups and other qualitative research, a good moderator
will
know which attitude and approach to take, which she will adapt to the
participant(s). That's a reason I think a good usability testing
moderator
needs not only to know usability testing protocols and be well versed
in
usability principles, but must be trained and experienced in
interviewing
and "people skills" (which may come from various backgrounds such as
psychology, ethnography, sociology, etc.)

Best regards,

Ash Donaldson