SUMMARY: Please log on

Gino Lardon <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:16:50 +0200

Here is the summary of all replies I received from the list about the
'logging on' question.
Tbank you all!

Meanwhile we made a number of design decisions.  We will create the
necessary mockups and test these in a usability lab.  I will keep you posted
on the outcome.

Best regards
Gino

--------------------------------
My original post:

We are involved in the design of the new website of a large bank.
Currently, the bank has an informational site with +10.000 content pages and
a lot of financial simulations.  A survey pointed out that 98% of the
visitors of the informational site are customers.  Quite separate from the
informational platform, they also have a Online Banking site.  They are
stimulating all their customers to get an online banking account.

Currently, they changed their online strategy and are redesigning the
informational site towards an extranet.  Only a limited amount of content
will be available to users that do not log on.  From the moment the users
logs on, all (personalised) content and online banking applications are
available.

The question is: "How can we stimulate a user to log on as soon as
possible?"

--------------------------------
Mitchell Gart:

How can you stimulate the user to log on? By having useful information
the user needs, available when s/he logs on. By having links that work
after logon, and prompt for logon otherwise.
By the way my bank, https://fleethomelink.fleet.com/ , has a site I
find really useful and intuitive. One feature they have that I like is
that they remember my user ID in a cookie, but not my password. So when
I log in I just have to type the password.

--------------------------------
Nicholas C. Kizirnis:

I've started looking at personalization for something a bit similar, a site
where they wish the visitor to log in so that they may have a better chance
of presenting information focused on the visitor's interests that will lead
to them becoming a customer.

It seems to me that if you are combining the on-line banking with the
information, that only existing customers can access that information (they
probably are less concerned with someone just visiting?), and that group
might be motivated already if they are interested in doing their banking
on-line. If they are NOT interested in doing their banking on-line, they
could still easily register and access information without having to commit
to on-line banking, right? My bank made it really easy by making my login
the same as my ATM #'s, and no special sign-up. It was a done deal the
moment I thought it was a good idea, and that sold me.

So if we haven't annoyed them by taking all the content away, my belief is
that you offer them some high-level or introductory content -- the kind that
existing and any potential customer would find useful and stimulating -- and
tell them at that point that more in-depth content is a benefit for members.
and it's easy to sign up!

going to that login or registration, the existing customer would find that
they already have their login information, and that the potential customer
could create a login even if they weren't a customer (although I think that
would be either a limted-time membership, or a limited access membership ..
or both). That would provide the bank the potential to continue to market to
the potential customer.

OK, so I just assumed that the potential customer might come along that way,
which of course may not be true, but I think the idea still holds.

Without knowing what content is out there (and it sounds like a lot) ... the
content that is displayed ought to be very timely and interesting. In
addition, if you can target a few areas of interest in the limited space,
great. All of the content conveys the value of the company and the value of
membership to the customer.

Hope someone can provide you with some research now that I've provided my
opinions! Take care!

--------------------------------
Nicholas C. Kizirnis:

A colleague here adds that they aren't too sure of what type of information
a bank would offer that would NOT be available to the public, save account
information.

--------------------------------
Navneet Nair:

If you're targeting existing customers, you can't deny the fact that the
primary reason visitors will come to the site will be to access their
account online. The rest of the information, though useful will be
nothing more than incidental unless they are looking for the service at
that moment...

So as far as logging in is concerned, would they would be driven to do
so by their motivation to visit the site?

Or is it that visitors on the site are account holders but do not
necessarily having online accounts? If that is the case, I think one way
to show snippets of the information available to logged in users, and
lead the users to explore the snippet and eventually log in...

--------------------------------
Tom Croucher:

I think one of the most common methods of prompting users to log in is
to have a username and password box on every page which the user is not
logged in on. Depending on the importance of the user logging in at that
juncture the log in form can be emphasised or not. For example many
sites have the boxes along a strip at the top of the page on the
homepage and then down the left or right navigation (more prominently)
deeper within the site. Of course, in my experience most users who
aren't using cookies to remain logged in (which probably will not be an
option with a bank) don't log in until they are forced to do so, or it
is shoved in their face.

--------------------------------
David Jacques:

I'm puzzled as to what the bank wants to accomplish by having users log on?
I think that forcing non-online-banking users to register to see normal
content will do more bad than good. Many people will simply not bother. The
bank should treat the issue of encouraging online banking separately. Will
also do no good in encouraging potential customers to join the bank if they
can't see the informational pages.
The first step the Bank should have done is customer research, to understand
what people want in the first place.
I did many research projects for a bank too and their approach to
encouraging online banking is completely different. It's played mostly
OFFLINE, and the parts online are to address the true reason NOT to use
online banking: The fear for security. People who fear security won't use
online banking more if you force them to register to look at the
informational site!