CHI-WEB June 2003, Week 3

Will Pearson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:10:10 +0100

Hi All,

Apologies for the delay in getting this summary to the list but
unfortunately I've been a bit ill with a kidney infection.

Thanks to all who responded in the matter of whether a user manual would be
a useful addition to a web site.

The majority view was that it would be better to focus on user centered
design, intuative interfaces and contextual help systems.  However there was
some views that user manuals would be helpful in some circumstances.

I've quoted all responses below.

Thanks,

Will

--- Quoted messages ---

> Hi Will
>
> For most of my career I've been a tech writer and have made the move into
> HCI over the last year or so.
>
> I'm a firm believer that as much of the process and procedural guidance as
> possible should be in the application itself rather than help, manuals or
> training. This also goes for little text tips that explain to users why
> certain information is required or the consequences of choices they might
> make in the UI.
>
> Having said that, though, manuals (or help, training, FAQs and other
> instructional content) does have a role to play in complementing the UI.
> If a UI is well-designed, the mechanics of how to use it should be obvious
> from the UI itself. But manuals or other web content can help with
> explaining domain knowledge that is required to get the most out of the
> app.
>
> As for how to present the information, it depends on the type of
> information you're presenting. You might be interested in the writing
> methodology known as Information Mapping (www.infomap.com). One of the
> basic tenets of information mapping is that almost every type of
> information can be categorised into one of 6 types (process, procedure,
> principle, structure, fact, and concept). For each information type there
> are optimum ways of presenting the information, depending on the details
> of what you're presenting (e.g. a linear procedure vs a branching one).
> It's a very useful tool, especially for subject matter experts who have to
> write content themselves rather than have professional tech writers to do
> it for them.
>
> Another issue with instructional content is that if the app is intended
> for students with disabilities, then obviously the instructional content
> will need to be presented in ways that allow the intended audience to
> access and use the information effectively.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Stewart

---

"Mary Deaton" <[log in to unmask]>

> Will,
>
> I spent most of my career working in user assistance and then segued
> into the Web and HCI. My advice from experience is do not do a user
> manual, but integrate the user assistance into the interface of the
> application. Where feasible, make the labels give or suggest the
> instruction. Have your users help you find out what they have questions
> about and then create some form of Help topic for those questions. Just
> make sure that access to the Help is context-sensitive (i.e. clicking a
> small icon or some such) and not just a long Help file through which
> they have to search. Labeling is often critical to people figuring out
> what something is. There is a concept of the verbose or supportive
> interface in which you do not try to limit the text in a dialog or
> screen, but make the dialog self-documenting with clear labeling and
> even numbering items to indicate the order in which they are to be done.
> I think the worst thing to do is to create a PDF file.
>
> Developing good user assistance is an entire field unto itself and there
> is a fairly large body of knowledge about it. I suggest you explore two
> resources. The first is http://www.winwriters.com/ This company is the
> leader in providing training on online user assistance and has articles
> and resource lists that will help you. Also go to
> http://www.userfirst.com. They have some excellent presentations,
> examples, and even code snippets you can use. You can find some
> information at the Society for Technical Communication, but the best
> stuff requires you to be a member. A resource that does not require you
> to be a memeber is the TC Digital Library at http://tc.eserver.org/ I
> would look in Documentation, Technical Writing, Usability, and Web
> Design for articles on user assistance, Help, Web applications.
>
> There is also a standard for how Help is presented for Windows
> applications and that is HTML Help. You can get basic information about
> this from Microsoft, but you need to look in the MSDN section. The
> Winwriters site will lead you to other places to get more information
> about the mechanics of HTML Help.

---

"Léonie Watson" <[log in to unmask]>

> Will,
>
>     Recently I've begun writing a series of papers, encouraging Jaws users
> to explore their settings and adapt them to better suit their needs.
>
>     The *aren't exhaustive, more illustrative, but the style I chose to
use
> combined explanatory paragraphs and lists of step by step instructions.
>
>     To get a better idea, follow this link to on of these papers:
>
> http://www.nomensa.com/resources/screenreader/jaws_configure_02.html
>
>     Hope this will help.
>
> Cheers,
> Tink

---

"Truong, Kristen" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Will -

Here's my input on this issue:

I do think there is a time and a place for user manuals:
1.  If the web site involves completion task processes that are long or
complicated by nature (not by design!).
2.  If the web site includes some domain-specific language that may not be
familiar to all users (e.g. medical information or the like).
3.  If the user audience has some additional needs that more than one media
method will facilitate understanding of the web site (your users might fall
into this case... I can also think that maybe users with slow connections
might be another).

In those cases, I have designed user manuals.  We have made these simple,
task oriented manuals, that take a reader through each major site function
step-by-step.  The steps are numbered, and we include as many screen shots
as possible.  We also include any common potential errors that might occur,
and how to deal with each.

We've found that long, detailed paragraphs have no readers!  Don't bog your
readers down with how the system works... let them know how to use it!

I hope this information helps.