SUMMARY: Icons VS Text

deborah bancroft <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:04:25 +0000

Thank you for all the responses: here is the summary.

Deborah Bancroft

QUESTION:
I am wondering whether this list has ever discussed the relative merits of
icons vs. text-only controls in an interface?  I am currently doing an
analysis and looking for sources for any testing that has been done on
whether (and which) users respond best to simple text controls (e.g.,
"Delete" ) or iconic controls (e.g., little picture of a trash can)

Please send any responses to me directly and I will be glad to post a
summary to the list.

From: Paola Kathuria <[log in to unmask]
To: deborah bancroft <[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Icons vs. text
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:51:37 +0100

I am wondering whether this list has ever discussed the relative
merits of
icons vs. text-only controls in an interface?

Yes, in 2000:
http://listserv.acm.org/archives/wa.cgi?S2=chi-web&q=&s=Icons+Text

It's hard to design meaningful icons and so text is often understood
more easily.  However, icons are recognised faster than text.

HTML text can be resized, translated and easily changed.  An icon
can contain colour which is recognised faster than the icon shape.
The combination of colour, icon and text should therefore
out-perform just icons or just text.

Paola