Re: Teaching Interactivity : summary

Kathy E Gill <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:40:16 -0700

Thanks to everyone for your insight. I'll be posting the syllabus
when it's developed.

It is possible that I am duplicating messages sent to the list
directly -- I'm trying not to! -- so apologies in advance if I do.

At 9:47 AM -0700 6/26/03, Kathy E Gill wrote:
>a) Do you know of good classes/syllabi/outlines (academic or business
>training) on the topic? If so, please send directly to me, and I will
>summarize.

-- reply 1a --
a.  I took a psychology course in human-computer interaction in my final
semester of graduate school about a year and a half ago.

Here is the web address of the professor:

http://www.psychology.ttu.edu/template.php?page=faculty/pdesmond

-- my searches --
some are better fit than others - includes new media - some include
only one or two modules on interactivity as part of a course - none
are, intentionally, "production" classes

http://www3.nu.edu/schools/SOAS/DOWC/courses/MM370syllabus.html
http://www3.nu.edu/schools/SOAS/DOWC/courses/MM471syllabus.html

http://www.lcc.gatech.edu/~murray/6210_prop_notes3.html

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~econra1/teaching/fall2002/interactivity_syllabus_fa02.htm
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~econra1/teaching/fall2002/ART486_syllabus_fa02.html

http://www.cityu.edu.hk/scm/program/courses/sm1205.pdf
http://www2.msstate.edu/~cy37/TKT8743/8743_syllabus.pdf
http://web.gc.cuny.edu/provost/apit/itech/certificate_program/s02_ITCP_70100.pdf
http://www.spatial.maine.edu/NMcurriculum.pdf
http://www.columbia.edu/itc/visualarts/r4110/f2000/week03/03_01_Syllabus_Fall_2000.pdf

http://www.nathan.com/thoughts/course.html
http://jcomm.uoregon.edu/~russial/j312/syl00.html
http://www.missouri.edu/~yoons/EDn423/syllabus.htm
http://ehlt.flinders.edu.au/screen/2001_online/3005_syllabus.htm
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/SUSE/ldt/course/106Syllabus.htm

>b) Do you know of good books, links, articles or theory on the
>subject?  If so, please send directly to me, and I will summarize.

-- reply 1b --
I would suggest taking a look at a document called Interaction Designers:
What we are, what we do & what we need to know by Jodi Forlizzi (teaches
CMU) and Robert Reimann (Cooper Interactive).

You can find this on the AIGA Experience Design site at
http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm?Alias=experiencedesign

On left nav click > resources > presentations. Scroll down to Role and
Knowledge presentations.

[KEG : direct link :
http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm?contentalias=interactiondesigner  --
there are other good resources on this site]

-- reply 2b --
Mark Stephen Meadows has recently released a book called "Pause and Effect:
The Art of Interactive Narrative" (New Riders, 2003). This might be a good
place to start. (I haven't read it, but it has just come across my radar.)

In terms of how I would define interaction, I really think you should use
the conversation metaphor. Dig up Lucy Suchman's (1987) book "Plans and
Situated Actions"; it is a great study in interaction as conversation. In
this book, Suchman documents studies of pairs of people interacting with
photocopiers, and makes a number of interesting conclusions about the way in
which the communication breaks down.

-- my links/books --
Interactivity in Distance Learning
http://ifets.ieee.org/periodical/vol_3_2002/jung.pdf

Case Study of a Multimedia CD-ROM Dissertation Web
http://www.chapman.edu/soe/faculty/piper/casestudy.htm

Resources/Bibliography
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~merkle/bakhtin/
http://library.gc.cuny.edu/RESEARCH/interactv_tech.asp

The Art of Interactive Design: A Euphonious and Illuminating Guide to
Building Successful Software -- by Chris Crawford
I've started reading this; I'm impressed.

>c) Now the hard one. Or the fun one, depending on your point of view. :)
>
>How do *you* define interactivity ... in the context of a human
>interacting with a computer? The basic construct of interactivity
>between two humans is "the conversation." What is it with a human and
>a computer (and a web interface, ideally!)?
>
>IMO "wizards" do not illustrate interactivity, although the human is
>certainly "interacting" with the computer.
>
>Is Amazon.com being "interactive" when it greets me by name and
>provides me with "Kathy's Gold Box"? What about customizable news
>pages? What would interactive storytelling look like? Is it
>multi-media?

-- reply 1c --
I think the conversation metaphor is particularly good:

1. If the interface doesn't speak a language you know, you have difficulty
using it, or can't use it. E.g. a Windows user trying to use Linux.

2. If an interface speaks your language, but in an incomplete way (i.e.,
poorly), interaction has roadbumps. E.g. an interface designed by a
developer who understands syntax (standards) but is a poor writer, vs. a
designer who understands the syntax and how to string syntax together, as
well as when to break the rules for effect.

I have more thoughts, but no time. I hope this helps.

-- reply 2c --
c.  Humans typically interact with computers, and related interfaces, to
accomplish a task.  It is the designers goal to make the task flow smoothly
and fit well with everything else going on in the individual's life.  The
choice of interface, etc. should be subserviant to that higher level goal.

d. Amazon is trying to develop a relationship with their customer by doing
that.  The way I see this, is it might be far more relevant to your class
than many other interactivity areas.

  -- reply 3c --
The conversation between two humans or other intelligent (?) beings is the
ultimate interactivity from a human perspective.

Computers however are not intelligent in the way that they can device new
ways of communicating with other computers or humans.

I don't think computers can be as interactive as humans. The example of
Amazon.com is a primitive form of interactivity since the computer responds
to the individual and as such adapts it's behaviour. This adaptation is
primitive because it always responds the same. Chatbots (artificial
intelligence) are an example of a higher level of interactivety because the
rules they follow to communicate and adapt their behaviour are more
eleborate.

-- reply 4c --
The way I define "interactivity" is from the word
itself--"inter-act", this means there are actions between two
objects. For human beings, basic actions can be "talk", so
"inter-act" becomes talk to each other, and this becomes
conversation. If I follow this definition, I think the interaction
between a human and a computer is that a human acts, then a computer
acts based on the human's action (that is, the computer responds to
the human's action). The basic construct then is "command". A human
issues a command, the computer reacts according to the command.

I think the examples you provide are interactions between the
computer and the person.

-- reply 5c --
This is the subject of my (almost complete! wahoo!) dissertation.
Interactivity implies a feedback loop that changes the activity that is
occurring (the ability to impact the activity in meaningful ways is
fundamental). Computer interactions are interactive to the degree that they
impact the activity that is occurring. So this could be seen as a
continuum.... less interactive to more. Clicking the next button fits the
definition but it doesn't impact the activity in very meaningful ways. This
interaction that we're having here is much more meaningful and requires much
more thought on the users' part.

Kathy