Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  July 2003, Week 4

CHI-WEB July 2003, Week 4

SUMMARY: "White House E-Mail System Becomes Less User-Friendly" a rticle

"Gart, Mitchell" <[log in to unmask]>

Gart, Mitchell

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:52:26 -0400

I asked:

  This article may be of interest to CHI-WEB readers:
  http://nytimes.com/2003/07/18/technology/18MAIL.html?hp

  It's on the New York Times web site.  It's free to see
  for the first week or so after publication, after that
  it becomes "premium content" and you have to pay to see it.

  How do people feel about web sites that require a user
  to fill out a form or a series of forms to send email,
  as opposed to sites that just offer an email link and
  let the users send free-form email?  What are the tradeoffs?
  Please send responses to me and I'll summarize.

Here is a summary of some of the points people made.  The
complete responses follow.  On the negative side:

- Most people didn't like the "buckets" where you have to
  give a response that falls into one of a small list of
  predefined response categories.

- This system gives the organization (the White House) a feeling
  of secretiveness and non-openness.

- Having to say up front whether your email is in favor or
  in opposition to the President made one reader feel like
  the messages will be treated differently, and negative
  messages might be ignored.

- One person asked about how accessible the site is.

- Several people mentioned that this system makes it harder to
  send email.  Email forms in general, and this many-step form
  in particular, are a lot harder to use than a mailto: link.

- Web email forms make it so the sender has no record of what
  was sent.  Many people like to keep a record of the messages
  they have sent, so this isn't convenient.  One suggestion is
  for the web site to automatically send a copy of the message
  back to the sender.

- (My own criticism) A lot of times email forms have a very small,
  narrow window into which to type.  A window that is, say, 20
  characters wide and 10 lines high makes it really hard to
  write a message that's more than a few sentences.

On the positive side:

- Setting up email this way makes it easier for a web site to
  defend against spam, viruses, and large attachments.  Especially
  in a high-volume site, an email form may be the only way to
  defend against getting lots of spam.

- Setting up email this way makes it easier for a webmaster to deal
  with a large volume of messages, directing them to the right
  recipients, automatically getting the information on category and
  sender.

Russ Seligman wrote:

  Filling out a form is fine for me, as long as it's flexible enough.
  I understand the benefit of the form, as it allows the site to better
  filter the messages if the user has to select a topic from a defined list.

  However, those defined lists do not cover every situation,
  and I often find that sites do not accommodate when the user feedback
  does not fit into one of the designated buckets. They need to have a
  backup plan. Some sites provide a form, but then they also list an email
  address if you don't want to bother. Sort of like the "press 0 to
  speak to a representative" that you might get in a phone system.
  That's great.

  For a good (horrible) example, look at any of Yahoo's help pages.
  While the help topics are relevant and well written, you're forced
  to choose from one of the FAQs that they make most prominent.
  There's no place to click for saying "my problem is not one of these,
  allow me to send a custom comment". Actually, there is one way...
  you need to choose an off-topic topic, and then click "this did
  not answer my question". Bah.

  So a form is fine, as long as it covers all situations, is clear to
  understand, and doesn't make the user jump through hoops.

Kevin Spruill wrote:

  Here's a better question... Is the site accessible? Is it Section 508
compliant?

  Thoughts?

Josephine Scott wrote:

  Normally, I have no problem with Web email forms. A short, easy to
complete
  Web mail form provides a method for sending input when you don't have a
  client email available.  However, like Mr. Nielsen, I have serious
  reservations about this particular implementation.

  It seems clear that the White House's main goal was to handle what must be
  flood of information that is sent to that inbox everyday.  However, rather
  than develop a system that handles the spam mostly on the backend, it
places
  nearly all of the responsibility for validation on the user.  The message
  the public is clear: if you are not willing to stand behind your email
  message, we will not consider it.  Fair enough, I suppose, but the system
  takes this concept much farther:

  --The requirement that a user must state support of or disagreement with
the
  president's policies carries a darker message:  we will handle supportive
  messages differently than those which disagree with us.  Add to that the
  amount of information that the user must provide to the President's
  communication team and he or she might worry that they will track him/her
as
  subversive. (It has happened for less.)

  --The required subject selections are narrowly drawn and clumsily
  architected, and there is no way to indicate a subject not listed.

  --The system actively discourages the use of email, as evidenced in the
  lecturing tone and nature of the text.  I detected several instances where
  the site suggested the use of snail mail instead.

  I do wonder if they fully considered the negative ramifications of placing
  so many barriers in front of the public. This system deliberately makes it
  very difficult to send a message to the President, particularly a negative
  message. Perhaps the designers intended to minimize the negative noise,
but
  this is a dangerous approach: As any retail site will tell you, you need
  hear not only what's right about your political product (if you will), but
  what's going wrong.

  My recommendations?  Shorten the form, eliminate the requirements to
choose
  subject and especially to agree or disagree with the President, and
consider
  eliminating the auto-responder validation requirement.

Jed Wood wrote:

  Advantages to the company of a web-based form:
  1- spam bots don't find the email address
  2- data comes in with more consistent format (easy to search for and
  find person's address, etc)
  3- less worry about viruses or huge email attachments

  Advantage to end user of a web-based form:
  1- They can send a message from a public computer without launching an
  unknown email client that probably isn't configured to send mail anyway.
  2- They can send a more "anonymous" message. Might be a disadvantage to
  the company, depending on the situation.

Marjolein Katsma wrote:

  I hate online forms for "email". I much prefer using my own email client
  so I have a record of what I sent to whom right there.

  As a consequence, I tend to avoid using such forms unless there really
  is an urgent need to send a message and I can find no other way to
  contact an appropriate person. And on my own sites I prefer to use email
  links for contact - while I've developed extensive anti-spam routines
  to make such addresses almost impossible to harvest - just to make it
  easy for people to contact me about a particular page or subject.

  A form should be used only for essentially structured information;
  email is essentially unstructured.

  Finally, a piece of friendly advice to those who feel they cannot
  avoid using a form: send a cc of the original message to the sender
  so they _will_ have a copy in their mail client: not perfect
  (initially it will end up in the wrong folder), but it's the least
  you can do to remedy the major problem for users of using forms for
"email".

Ash Donaldson wrote:

  When I tried to read this article (which many people have mentioned since
it was posted), I
  was affronted by a page telling me that I had to register (it's as easy as
1-2-3!) - to me
  that is ALSO poor usability.  I have no interest in the New York Times or
their affiliates - I
  just wanted to read one article that was directly linked to.

  Since I was moderating and a number of emails came in on this topic, I
allowed another post to
  be distributed to the list (from Robin Jeffries) that quotes the article
for those of use who
  don't want to register with NYT for a one time use. ;)

Robin Jeffries wrote:

  Ineresting on many levels, including Jakob's views on the site.  The
  part I liked best was the quote from the "white house spokesman":

  |"When it comes to a Web site, it's a bit like a movie," Mr.
  |Orr said. "Some will say it's a tour de force; some will
  |say it fell flat."

  Science, what science?

Matt Prather wrote:

  Aside from my personal distaste for sites that require registration and/or
  forms simply to send email, the timing of this "improvement" is
unfortunate
  at best, and rather suspect at worst.

  This administration has already earned a widespread reputation for being
  even more secretive than the Nixon administration, and as willing to
trample
  personal rights and privacies as anything done in the McCarthy era. We
have
  already seen several attemps initiated to track Americans' every move,
  conversation, telephone call, location, purchase, voyage, and political
  activity. This revision to the means of communicating with the White House
  makes me extremely nervous, especially since it requires not only
personally
  identificable information but the specification of "friendly" or
dissenting
  opinions. Can I expect a knock in the middle of the night from jackbooted
  stormtroopers? I doubt this feeling will be unique to me, and the White
  House may find itself facing very serious issues of trust.

  This concerns me far more, frankly, than the site's usability --- which is
  abysmal, but appears to be deliberately so in an effort to discourage
  communication. Yes, I admit to some paranoia at work here, but it's
  difficult for me to believe that the office of the leader of the world's
  only superpower could not locate or afford a usability expert to help with
  this design??! My skepticism is only heightened by their attempt to simply
  brush it off as being "like a movie": some will consider it a masterpiece,
  some will say it falls flat, but it's all arbitrary and subjective. No,
it's
  not!

  Sometimes I think Lily Tomlin got it right: "No matter how cynical we
  become, it's never enough to keep up!"

Matthew Tarpy wrote:

  As the person who gets the email sent to the general email bucket for my
  company, I like a form...that way I know that email sent to this address
was
  human sent, and not spammed. Since we don't publish the email address that
  this mail goes to, is a random string of numbers and digits, and we
control
  our mail server, I know there will be no noise to signal. (Outbound mail
is
  sent as me, so I can get spammed)

  For our webmaster@ address, of the 1000 or so messages that come in a day,
  they're always spam...I _may_ have one or two "real" messages a week in
that
  way out of 7-10 thousand...and I try to filter out the spam to make sure I
  see the real messages.

  I hate saying this, while it may inconvenience the end user, in this day
of
  email harvesters, spam agents, etc, this is one of the few ways I know of
  how you can make sure someone gets your message.>