CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB@LISTSERV.ACM.ORG

From:
Wendy Sudar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:33:28 -0600
My message:

I'm looking for information or study results concerning list sets and
alternating colors in tables. We're designing web applications for heath
care clinicians where table data visibility is essential.

I'm wondering if there are any studies, evidence, or philosophies on the
subject of:

* How to create highly visible chunks (e.g 2 rows of white, 1 of yellow) in
dense tables.
* The best number of colors to use* Color guidelines for increasing visual
discrimination (e.g. color contrast formula's, row border suggestions)
* List thresholds for color differentiation requirements (e.g. once table
lists reach 6 items)

Thank you to those who responded to my request:

SUMMARY:
Suggested reading was the article “The Colour Coding of Information Layers
in Computer Displays” by Darren Van Laar.

This article describes the Perceptual Layers Methodology which uses color
coding to call attention to data as it relates to the user’s hierarchy of
task based needs, with the layers that contain the most important data
having more visual prominence than less significant information.  This
methodology in conjunction with task analysis may offer a design solution
for hand-held devices requiring the display of complex tabular data with
limited screen space.

As a more immediate solution, Michael Lucas developed a JavaScript that
applies green bar colors to an existing table thus allowing testing of
possible color solutions.

Individual Responses:

>>>Alexandra Forsythe
Check out Darren Van Laar.  He has published quiet a lot in this area.
http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/academic/psychology/staff/title,1556,en.html
   1997

Darren Van Laar, Terry Williams, Ian Umbers, Steve Smeaton: Colour Coding of
Information Layers in Computer Displays. INTERACT 1997: 583-584  1988

Darren Van Laar, Richard Flavell: Towards the Construction of a
Maximally-Contrasting Set of Colours. BCS HCI 1988: 373-389

---------
Michael Lucas  >>>

If you're looking for a technical answer on "how to do it", I've created a
nice piece of JavaScript that will apply "greenbar" colors to a table after
it's built (current browsers only of course).  It could easily be tweaked
for testing purposes.  Let me know if you'd like to use it.

********
Wendy Sudar
Usability Analyst
Intermountain Health Care