SUMMARY: combined navigation

"R.T. de Boer" <[log in to unmask]>

R.T. de Boer

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:50:19 +0200

As promised, the summary of the responses I got on my posting ('combined
navigation', posted on 08/12/2003).

I would have expected a few negative or critical responses, but all
navigation works rather well. Obviously, I'm still going to run usability
tests myself. As soon as the results are there, I will post my findings on
this list.

A lot of responses mentioned that the combined navigation improved the
accessibility of the website. That's a very positive finding as well.

Finally, there was one response that referred to a previous posting on
cascading menus. Again, the good results for the cascading menus seem to
support the combined navigation.

Thank you all for your contributions!

Tjeerd de Boer

>Original posting:
>
>Hi all,
>
>I just came along a website (www.photo.net) that
>combines two types of global navigation:
>
>1. Drop-down menus (cascading) that provide shortcuts
>to the low-level pages. This type of navigation
>probably makes sense for the experienced users of the
>website.
>2. Clicking on one of the section labels opens an
>overview page. This overview page shows all the
>low-level pages in that particular section. The type of
>navigation probably makes sense for novice users.
>
>The combination of these two types of navigation works
>for me, but I'm interested in your opinions and
>experiences. For example, has anybody done usability
>testing on this?
>
>BTW, this website only has the combined navigation for
>a few months. Before that it only had the second type
>of  navigation (see also
>http://web.archive.org/web/20010302013340/www.photo.net/ ). Do you think
>that adding the drop-down menu was a
>good decision?
>

>Please respond to me directly and I will provide a
>summary to the list.
>
>Thanks, Tjeerd

I haven't done any testing regarding this, so I can only imagine what the
users felt like when they were using the old version of the site. I think
that it makes sense to add those cascading menus - although they can cause
usability problems. I bet many users were irritated by the fact that in
order to get to lower level pages, they always had to go through the
"overview" page. So in this case cascading menus did the trick.

Virpi Kurkela

----------------------

We use this type of navigation on our intranet, mainly for accessibility
reasons.

We've tested it with staff in our usability lab and it works well.

Stewart Walker

-----------------------

I worked on a large corporate Intranet that was designed like this. In
usability testing, users were able to successfully accomplish their tasks
and reacted positively to the design.

In this instance, the "index pages" (as we called them) each had 4-10
categories of links. These category headings were links, but additionally,
the 4-5 most popular links within that category were exposed to allow
quicker access. Additionally, there was an "On this page" table of contents
at the top of the page; each entry linked to an anchor lower in the page.

So, it looked something like this (the links and categories have been
changed but the example is real):

(Page Title = Human Resources)

ON THIS PAGE
- Benefits
- Job Training
- Job Openings
- Career Development

BENEFITS
- Medical
- Dental
- Vision

- more...

JOB TRAINING
- etc...

On the drop-down menus, just the first 2-3 levels were shown (i.e. Human
Resources and Benefits, but not Medical).

This solution was implemented successfully (along with a large number of
other site-wide changes) and received a large amount of positive feedback.
Users familiar with the drop-down menus were able to navigate easily to the
pages they were interested in, and those who needed additional information
found the index pages helpful.

Also, in testing, users commented that listing some links within a category
helped them understand the label, if they were confused at first by it.
Someone may not know what "Benefits" is at first glance, but if they see
Medical, Dental, and Vision listed, that helps them understand what it
means. Of course, this is what we thought was a main benefit from our
perspective, but it was nice to have the users comment on it without our
prompting.

Jeff Lash

-----------------------

Personally, I like this approach since it often reconciles the objectives
of both businesses and users.

Often, companies want/require a sexy interface that uses DHTML
menus.  Since these are not accessible for all people, you should at least
put a link on the main items that open up a page with all links within that
section.  This allows users who do not use a mouse, to access your site as
well.

Gino Lardon

-----------------------

In my opinion, I don't think there is anything wrong with repeating the
navigation that is in the drop down on the overview page. However, I do
think that it should be listed the same exact way in each place. It seems
that the menu items in your drop down are also in the overview page, however
it's not immediately apparent because they are in different order, and some
are headings while others are links, etc.

I think the benefit of the drop down is that, on the home page, people can
get a quick sense for what the site has to offer. Then the benefit of having
the menu items on the overview page is helpful because the menu items are
now revealed and not "hidden" in the drop down. Therefore, the person has
easy access to the "sub-sections" within each main category.

The only caution I would make is to be careful with the usability of the
pull down. It's good that you don't require people to hold their mouse
button down to move through the menu. But there could still be some issues.

Good luck!

Katie Karatzas

---------------------

We've been looking at a similar approach on a current site design, but from
an accessibility standpoint rather than  usability. Navigation through
overview pages  can provide a non-javascript alternative to method 1
(assuming the dropdowns are using DHTML). It can also provide a good
fallback for older browsers where the additional support for dropdowns might
be considered too pricey.

At the moment we don't give the user the option, they get one or the other
depending on whether their browser (or other useragent) supports the
dropdown functionality. This may well be a crucial difference!

Ben Cotton

----------------------

Not only does this offer beginner/experienced options without, IMHO,
creating a lot of visual noise, the approach you describe would also be
508-compliant in my view, because the #2 option provides equivalent access
within the technical standards.  Thus the user with disabilities has
comparable access, with no obstacles.

For sites that (for whatever reason) wish to employ dropdowns, the
concurrent direct-click option is a very good thing.

Lew Clayman

----------------------

Below is a similar response to the one I posted a few months ago in
response to other posts about cascading menus...

I work for a company that develops and maintains one of the main >Intranet
sites (serving over 60,000 unique users per month) for a >major
telecommunications company.  About a year and a half ago we performed
a >complete redesign of the site's navigational infrastructure
and >information architecture.  The original site was a
standard >hierarchical structure, and the redesign was too, but it
also >includes a cascading menu feature (similar to the one you alluded to,
but our menus cascade left-to-right) which permits single-click access >to
hundreds of the site's most prominent content areas.

 >Overall, participants in our usability study preferred to use
and >performed better using the redesigned user interface architecture
compared with >the original one as follows.

 >Participants:
 >*       were able to navigate to the tasks about 35% faster.
 >*       made 70% fewer navigational errors.
 >*       required 53% less assistance from the experimenter.
 >*       failed 36% fewer tasks.
 >*       rated the redesigned site as easier to use and a better overall site.

 >It should be noted that these advantages and preferences for
the >redesigned site were found even though participants were seeing
and >using it for the very first time, whereas all participants
had >experience (sometimes years of experience!) using the original site.

 >Of course, not all of the performance and preference benefits can
be >attributed to the cascading menus alone, because we also put a
substantial amount of research effort into redefining the site's
information architecture.  However, the cascading menus seem to
be >responsible for a good portion of what was observed.  The main >reason
is that the cascading menus permit the user to meaningfully >explore a
fairly huge information space (479 nodes in our cascading >menu structure
alone!) without a single click or page redraw and in a very short >amount
of time.  Plus a tremendous amount of content is available with a single
click via the cascading menus.

 >Here are some of the positive quotes from participants in our study:

         >"The best features of this website are the drop-down boxes which
are >displayed when viewing different subjects.  They allow for
quick >navigation without actually paging through multiple
pages.  It >really saves time when searching for information."

         >"I love the menus that cascade, allowing you to determine where
you >want to go for sure without loading the pages."

         >"The expanding menus are nice and once you get used to using
them >will probably help you to get to the information faster.

We have >also found it crucial to the usability of the cascading menus that
their delay parameters be carefully set.  W>e always permit the user to
navigate in a standard hierarchical >fashion, bypassing the cascading menus
altogether if desired.  However, we do believe most users are, in fact,
using the cascading menus to navigate since the vast majority leave the
cascading menu feature enabled when it can easily be disabled via a single
click on a button which is always visible.

Jon Antin