SUMMARY: Design Tools

Helmut Degen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Aug 2003 23:01:52 +0200

=======================
MY REQUEST
=======================
Hi,
recently we had a hot discussion in our user experience team whether a useful
tool exists that cover steps in the design process. We for example use Visio
for creating wireframes, PhotoShop for visual designs and Word for writing
the design specification.

Which tools do you prefer for which step in the design process, and: is there
ONE outstanding design tool for doing this job?

You can post directly to me. I will send back a summary to this list.

Cheers
-Helmut

=======================
SUMMARY
=======================

Unfortunetly it seems that THE design tool does not exist. All contributors work with tool mixes, the most with common tools like Visio, Word, Illustrator, PhotoShop. There are some tool that are new to me:
- Axure
- proprietary in-house tool at IBM: http://www.ibm.com/easy
- iRise: http://www.irise.com

=======================
REPLIES RECEIVED
=======================
From Ash Donaldson, [log in to unmask]

Helmut,

This past week has seen hot discussion over a range of IA/UX tools over on the SIG-IA list.
Check out:
http://www.info-arch.org/lists/sigia-l/0308/
and read the thread starting with:
[Sigia-l] And then there's Inspiration Gretchen Baybola (Tue Aug 12 2003 - 13:18:17 EDT)

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ash Donaldson
User Experience Designer

From Peter Gremett, [log in to unmask]

i use adobe illustrator for wireframes, flow maps, templates for visual
design.

From Rick Cecil, [log in to unmask]

You should check out Axure for a tool that can be used throughout the entire
development process. I've run the demo and it seems really promising.

-Rick