Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  October 2003, Week 2

CHI-WEB October 2003, Week 2

Summary of web based application question

david broschinsky <[log in to unmask]>

david broschinsky <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:04:03 -0600

I had asked what kind of standards or resources fellow list members had as
far as creating a web based applciation.  Thank you to all those that
responded.  This has helped us with establishing our guidelines as an
Interaction Design team.

I received several replies that suggested that following good interaction
design principles as described in the interface guidelines for both Apple
and Microsoft. I also received several links for on-line resources, which I
have included below.

Suggestion highlights include:

Buttons are for actions, Links for navigation
Have hierarchies of action levels for buttons
Watch out for automated section 508 checkers that may give false positives

It is also a good idea to get all these ideas together and available as a
style guide to help guide designers and developers throughout the
process.  Finally, it has been suggested that I review "Making the Web
Work: Designing Effective Web Applications" by Bob Baxley.

Hope this is of assistance to some of the other of you out there struggling
with the same problems I have been.

david broschinsky

from Pradyot Rai:

There are some good resources out there which you can see and take some
inspiration for your own style guides. I can understand the confusion this
may be causing you if you are the first timer, however, this has a big
time merit in off-loading work to development and controlling some aspects
of 'usability'. Here are some of the links from the web -

1. BLAF from Oracle Apps. - http://otn.oracle.com/tech/blaf/specs/index.html

2. Java look and feel guidelines (may not fit exactly in the context of
Web Apps.) - http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed2/book/

3. SAP HTLM guidelines -
http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/webapp_cookbook/index.html

The above examples are some of the best documented guidelines which you
can refer for this purpose. Some of these can help you get convinced how
to document guidelines for each of the widgets you may have.

However, bear the fact in mind, this is not the end and you would need
much more to do to convince developers's conpliance on your style guide.
Style guides are the most difficult and time taking means to establish
'design'. However they are best if you use it to document the design
(after 'prototype', 'Usability tests', 'implementation' and 'QA').

from Mary Utt:

I work on a web-based collaboration tool. We (try to) apply the rule
that "links go to web pages, buttons are commands that go to forms."
So, in your applications, "Edit input types" would be a button.

You can use style sheets to style links to look like buttons. This
should pose no problem for assistive devices as the "button" is simply
an anchor tag in the source file.

We use Tcl as our scripting language and we have developed Tcl procedures
for buttons (and other things). So a developer working on a project just
needs to know to specifiy the SmallButton proc, with arguments of button
text and URL, to generate a button. This also allows us to standardize
the HTML generated such that it validates (or is more likely to anyway).

I am not sure what you mean by "stripping the toolbar" but I spent a fair
amount of time writing Tcl procedures that standardize the toolbar output.
Developers need only specify a list of tools and associated URLs, and the
toolbar is generated, correctly coded. (And it's easy to change all the
toolbars if we decide some new requirement must be met, or if we want
buttons
rather than links or vice versa).

I similarly developed procedures to generate the correct HTML header tags,
including hauling in the right CSS and JavaScript files. Saves a lot of
time,
including time admonishing developers to read the style guide and code
things
right. I am a little skeptical about the efficacy of styles guides: as with
most documentation, they are "more honoured in the breach than the
observance."

Hope this helps.

 From Vincent:

Buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735711968/qid=1064864323/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-9391335-4088724

 From Lew Clayman:

Section 508 should be the least of your worries, in that it rarely creates
a difficulty that cannot be overcome with what is, in reality, a good
practice anyhow.  Starting (as you seem to be) with a "clean sheet of
paper" there really ought to be no showstoppers in 508.  Truly, it is a lot
easier than it first looks.

Beware of automated 508 compliance checkers - they often issue as much as
90% false positive warnings about possible violations.   This can cause
unjustified panic ("OMIGOD!!! It found 73 violations on one page
alone!"  "Yes, but about 66 of them aren't for real...")

My advice is to solve the other issues, with one eye on 508, and review the
style guide for 508 compliance towards the end of the editorial process to
be sure that all bases are covered.  Chances are they will be.

 From Andy Dent:

I recently finished my first true web app after a couple of decades in
development, much of it databases and with a strong interest (as a
primarily Mac developer) in user interface design and consistency.

The web app took an Excel sheet with about 12 worksheets of 20-40
columns of data (many of which had lookup tables - 110 tables in the
end!) onto the web, allowing viewing, editing and building arbitrary
queries in a GUI.

Home page to select activity.
List screens presenting lists of records, with row of buttons
Drill down by clicking any line in a list to a View screen showing all
details.
 From View screen, go to Edit screen allowing entry.
First/Prev/Next/Last record buttons on View and Edit screens.

Query builder allows them to select any field from any table and add a
clause for that field, joining clauses with And or Or, then see count of
records or keep that query active so the lists become restricted.

User feedback has been unsurprised, "it just works" kind of stuff.

The main guidelines I stuck to:
1) actions are buttons (navigating and saving records). Using standard
form buttons keeps a consistent set of affordances with the standard
form combo boxes (of which there were many).

2) links can be used for navigation to other pages, be those pages edit
screens or more web-like display. This allows us to be consistent by
also having database fields in lists of records be clickable links to
drill down to that particular record.

3)a home page for the app which was full of normal links worked fine.

4)plain links to navigate to help pages provided via a Wiki, so users
can refine their own help content.

Whilst there is some apparent inconsistency between using buttons to
navigate between records (and back to the original list) and general use
elsewhere for links to navigate, it works well. I think there's no
surprise for users because:
a) the buttons are unambigous, and having a "back to list" button in
line with first/prev record et al has a visual consistency

b)where links are used to change pages, it is consistently part of
navigation.

More specifically, if an action required a page acting as a modal
dialog, to complete that action, I'd use a button. If the user is
focussed on the action, use a button. If they regard it as changing
pages, use links.

from John Lax:

Here is what we have found...

Since the application is delivered though the browser you can not forget
Web-based best practices so accept the fact that you are delivering
application functions through the browser and utilize the widget set that
HTML provides for you...

We have found that buttons are best used to highlight important actions but
let's say you have three button styles 1,2,3... 1 is the most prominent in
size or colour while 2 and 3 indicate secondary and tertiary actions... On
some pages you may have multiple 1 buttons and multiple 2 buttons it becomes
very difficult to assign priority.

Also since Web based applications (unless you are using Flash or something
similar) rely on the DOM it is often necessary to break actions down into
steps which leads to a very linear approach so the only button necessary is
the submit button.

Use links for things like edit input types to divert from the main user
path. You can use graphical buttons but will they really be any better? We
have done both ways and we find too many buttons clutter the interface and
often rely on links...

When you say is there a "resource" geared to Web apps, not sure what that
means...