SUMMARY - Ad-hoc Reporting UI

Cindy Lu <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:26:24 -0400

Thanks to all who replied. All suggestions are very helpful.  - Cindy

Here is the original question:
I am working on a web-based ad-hoc reporting tool.  If you have worked on
similar projects and would like to share your experiences on UI designs, I
would appreciate it greatly.

SUMMARY
In general, some design challenges in ad-hoc reporting include how to
provide the abilities for the user
1) to select variables from large amount of data for querying
2) to create queries (how to group items and add AND and/or OR relationship)
and
3) to select variables for viewing the report. People may be confused on
this step with 1).  This step asks the user what you want to see in the
report.

Design Suggestions:
1. Group variables to reduce the number of variables that user sees at one
time.
2. Separate selecting variables and creating queries into two pages
3. Add action button to each sub-query so that the user can move it or
delete it without starting all over
4. Design a good layout for creating queries so that it is easier for the
user to move quickly
5. Provide the ability to save the query so that the user can reuse it
6. Export the result to Excel so that the user can perform further analysis
and report formating

Reporting Tools:
Crystal report
Cognos
Oxford Unversity Press's CD products (need more info)

Case Study:
Paola Kathuria
http://www.limov.com/other-work.lml?p=seagram-2

Other reference:
Access database

==============Original Replies======================
Teresa Torres <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Cindy,

I worked on a very similar problem recently. It was an ad hoc reporting tool
for for data on manuscript submissions for journals. I structured the tool
in much the same way.

First, users selected what questions they wanted answered. For me, this
really meant what data about the manuscript and process they were
interested. There were hundreds of fields to choose from, so I grouped them
based on the various steps of the manuscript submission process. They could
select a high-level group and automatically get all the info that appeared
below that, or they could pick and choose each one. For this step, the
biggest challenge was finding a grouping and layout that wasn't overwhelming
because we were dealing with a large number of options.

Based on what they picked on the first page, they were then presented with
query options for each item they selected on the first page. I split these
two up, so that the user was never presented with hundreds of query options
for the many data fields on the first page. At any point, they could go back
and refine their choices in the first step. The challenge here was
presenting the query options in such a way that didn't result in an html
form that was pages and pages long. Even though they had just indicated
which fields they were interested in querying, I added an option next to
each item, that basically meant ignore this selection, which basically made
that section of the form go away. That way if the user, upon seeing the
query options for a field, was no longer interested in that field, they
didn't have to start over. I also tried to display the query items for each
option in a familiar layout so that the user could move quickly from one
section to the next.

The third step was basically, now that I know what you are looking for, what
information would you like reported about the manuscripts that matched your
query. It was difficult distinguishing this step from step 1. The first step
was tell me which fields you want to look at for deciding which manuscripts
to report on, whereas step three was tell me which fields you want data for
for the manuscripts that matched the query.

Teresa Torres
Interaction Designer
HighWire Press

====================
Vincent T. Scordo <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Cindy,

> >Cognos is an enterprise level reporting application (it's used by most
> >large organizations).  One of the advantages of the application is that
>it >provides very robust ad hoc reporting capabilities.
> >
> >At DaimlerChrysler, where I work as the Usability and Web Standards
>Project >Leader, we did some preliminary analysis of the out of the box
>GUI.
> >
> >In general, creating a GUI for ad hoc reporting (with lots of variables)
>is >quite tought; let me know what other postings/info you do get.
> >
> >Best,
> >Vincent

---------------
Hi Cindy,

In terms of functionality and reporting capabilities Cognos is the probably
the
best enterprise level reporting solution on the market.  However, from a
GUI/Usability perspective it fails on all levels.  Moreover, customizing the
GUI
is very difficult.

I wouldn't recommend using Cognos or any of the tool suites unless your
imlementing the solution at Global 500, for example.

Best,
Vincent
================================
Kellie Mecham <[log in to unmask]>

Yup, there could be lots of criteria, depending on the field value they
chose--name could be 5000 people or company might be 10.

Wow--you have quite a challenge!

=================================
Paola Kathuria <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Cindy,

I developed a PC-based ad hoc reporting application about 10 years
ago.  I dealt with the  variables using a scrolling list.  There's
a short case study at http://www.limov.com/other-work.lml?p=seagram-2

I'm happy to answer any specific questions or provide larger screen
shots, if it'd help.

It might be worthwhile investigating one of Oxford University Press's
CD products.  They publish huge dictionary-based data with screen-based
interfaces.  One approach offers a text box in expert users can do
searches using a query language.

In your situation, it would be good if users could save and then
name/describe complex queries to a library that other users could
then search.

Ultimately, you'll end up with a user interface that should know
about reports in terms of inputs, conditionals, reported variables
and calculations.

All the best.

Paola

==================================

Kellie Mecham <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Cindy,

I've had similar problems in past jobs.  In one instance, the 80% case was
one criteria per query, so we made the design with three fields--search
criteria (dropdown; fields included things like name, company, etc.) a
default Boolean field (dropdown; and, equals, or etc.) and one text field
for them to enter a value.  We put defaults values in fields one and two and
had a link on the page to a popup help page with different examples.  If
users wanted to add another query, we had a link called "Add another
criteria" (yes, we could have said add another query but we were afraid the
term was too "techy" for our users) and three more fields would appear below
when they clicked it.

Users could save the queries, so for the 10% that ran really difficult
queries, they didn't have to click on a bunch of links to keep adding
additional criteria, they could just go to one they had created and either
use it as is or edit it on the fly.

Kellie

Cindy Lu, Ph.D., CHFP
HFE Consulting, LLC

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.