Re: SUMMARY: star rating systems

Narisa Najurally <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:17:25 -0000

I am amazed at the quantity and quality of information I get from such a
bright group of people - here is the summary of posting - thanks
everyone ...

1. To me, half stars are more relevant if the total number of possible
stars is fewer.  IOW, if the total number of possible stars is only 4,
then a half step is significant.  But if the total number possible is
20, then a half is irrelevant.

2. we recently implemented a star rating system for our web application.
This was a feature that customers had requested. There were a great many
debates in our office about the size and color of the stars (and whether
we should use stars or something else, and how many points the stars
should have -- drove me nuts! :-)

But no one ever suggested that we should use half-stars. And when I did
some research by checking out websites that use star ratings, I don't
think I came across any that used half-stars.

So, I think I would be on the side of the folks arguing against
half-stars.

We use 5 stars, BTW. After all the debate, we ended up with 5-pointed
stars, in yellow.

Of course, you could always run some usability tests to see if users
understand the half-stars and use them.

3. I always consider half-stars to be relevant, if I have trust for the
source in the first place.   It is not unlike giving plusses and minuses
to "shade" a letter grade: we all know the difference between a B and a
B+, for example.

The traditional five stars has in fact six "star" levels - zero is a
rating!  Add halves and you have eleven choices in all, twelve if you
allow 5.5 stars.

That's just about what the school system gives us: thirteen choices in
all, or 15 if you allow F+ and F-.

4. Netflix is good.  They let you rate a movie with 1-5 stars.  No half
stars allowed.  But then when they show a movie's rating they will show
that it got, say, 3.8 stars from the average rating.

Then they take it 1 step farther.  They will say "among users similar to
you, the rating was 4.2 stars".  It's a good use of the Firefly idea
where users are grouped according to their tastes.

5. Amazon.com uses half-stars when showing averages.  See their rating
for the books "GUI Bloopers" (me)  and "The Design of Sites" (van
Duyne et al).  Of course, readers can only rate books in whole stars.

6. Hmmm, I did look at Amazon (of course: Amazon and Google are where
you go first! ;-) Didn't remember their half-stars. I guess it just
shows that for all the things *we* found to debate, half-stars were
*not* among 'em.

7. I think there's a cultural / experience dimension in this.

Most "star rating" systems use 1-5 stars, and many of them half stars.
Having grown up (and still living) in a country where school results
used to be graded (and often still are graded) 1-10 (10 being the best),
when I see "4 and a half stars" what I'm _really_ seeing is a "9", so it
makes sense to me. No half stars on a 1-5 scale seems too course. In
general, I always translate a 1-5 grading to a 1-10 grading which I'm
more familiar with.

On the other hand, for someone who grew up with an "A-F" or similar
rating system, half stars may not seem relevant at all - but probably
wouldn't harm either.

I'm not sure where the"stars" come from, even - that may be culturally
dependent as well. We certainly don't use stars as rating symbols here.
(Numbers, colors, dots... but stars are actually unusual.)

And then there are other ways of displaying ratings than just stars -
like percentages. Graphically maybe less attractive - but possible more
easily "translatable" and certainly easier to make accessible. (Ever
tried making a series of stars and half-stars consisting of separate
images accessible for a non-graphical browser?)

8. I have never tested this, so I can only speak for myself.

I am more inclined to purchase/use something that has been given 3-1/2
stars instead of just 3 stars and more inclined to purchase/use
something that has been given 4 stars instead of 3 stars.

The half rating does work for me, but depending upon your rating system,
the benefits might be marginal.

9. In relation to fridges etc... In Australia, each white good comes
with an energy rating sticker which has to be there by law. The rating
is 5 stars and the use of half stars is common. I would think that a tie
here is pretty natural. I can only think that it would provide users
with what they would 'perceive' of as more accurate information (even if
the starts are one persons opinion, rather than based on metrics like
energy consumption).

10. 3.5 starts wont influence a decision over 4 starts but it might over
3.  the more information you can provide to the customer the better.

11. I think that it's a matter of pay-off:  What I mean is that if half
stars take a long time (and money) to implement then it's not worth
having them.  I have no idea what the development time would be but I
think the user benefit to having half over whole stars is minimal.

Having half stars would effectively be like having a ten point rating
system... do the users need this?  Are the differences between the items
you're showing subtle enough to warrant the extra classification (as
well as development effort)?  I wouldn't have thought so.  Finally, as
you've hinted, the five star rating is familiar to people from other
areas... it's always good to continue off-line and familiar metaphors to
the online environment.  And who heard of a five and a half star hotel?