Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  October 2003, Week 4

CHI-WEB October 2003, Week 4

SUMMARY: Usability Politics & a Navigation Re-architecting Proces s

"WOFFORD BRAVMANN, MELONY A (SBCSI)" <[log in to unmask]>

WOFFORD BRAVMANN, MELONY A (SBCSI)

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:42:27 -0800

I am grateful for the thoughtful, intelligent comments and suggestions
regarding my inquiry about usability politics.

I should have asked the two questions in two separate posts. Most responses
were directed toward usability politics and fewer referred to a
re-architecting process. For anyone interested, Bob Baxley's book, Making
the Web Work, Defining Effective Web Applications has been useful for our
challenge. His book provides a solid, structured method for handling design
problems and gaining support for the solutions.

If anyone has studies or data that refer to complex navigation on the home
page or the usability of two + rows of navigation tabs, please send them my
way. I will send a separate summary to the group detailing your responses.

All responses gave good strong advice for handling the politically-sensitive
side of our project. Most acknowledge that political wrangling is par for
the course for usability professionals, and one thing that is crystal clear
from this discussion is that UI designers must be sensitive diplomats.
Studies, data, allies, role definition, and well organized presentation of
this information is also very helpful.

I have implemented many of your suggestions and they have worked well. We're
getting significantly more cooperation from the existing app's team.

Thanks again!!

-Melony

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nathan Pearson-

Often times politics comes with the territory but sadly it's rarely
addressed as part of the discipline.

Form the sound of it, it appears that you have little usability "buy-in"
over all in your organization.  That will likely be your biggest obstacle.

Unfortunately there is not silver bullet solution here.  The only thing I
would recommend is to model out a few different approaches to the design
with clear and intelligent reasons to support your decisions.  Consider
looking into "Designing Visual Interfaces" by Sano and Mullet for theory
support.

Next, look for alliances.  Does someone in your organization seem more open
to usability than others?  Can they sway opinions?

Single that person out and provide a mini-presentation.  Make sure to set
time aside and be prepared so they take you seriously.

You may not actually get this change in at this time, but continue fighting
these small battles until you win over as much support as possible.  The
goal is to build trust.  Once they trust you, they'll likely let you run
with your ideas more often.  But remember, you can't build trust with
hostility.

----------------------

Mitchell Gart -

Tabs are pretty usable with 1 row but become really
confusing with more than 1 row.  My sympathies are with you.
I'm sure there are some studies that will back this up.
If you asked specifically about that, probably someone from
the list could help out.

Otherwise, if you can't afford a real paid study,
why not try a couple of little ad hoc ones.  Do it on a
lunch hour and offer free cookies or something.  Get about
5 people, just anyone from around the company as long as
they don't have an ax to grind, one way or the other.
Ask them to perform a few specific tasks using the existing
interface and see how long it takes them and how many mistakes
they make and how much they like or dislike the navigation system.

----------------------

Vincent T. Scordo -

I am a usability and web standards project lead at global OEM and we had a
similar situation when working on a B2B web application that had high
exposure.  Of course, different sides wanted to push different agendas. We
had the difficult task of creating new categories for all content types and
creating a new way of navigating the site and introducing "levels of
navigation", viz., 1st (or primary), 2nd and 3rd level.

We did 3-4 weeks of usability work including, focus groups, user profiles,
task analysis, questionaires, interviews, UI prototyping and Usability
testing; ultimately, we created a set of new GUI templates and sold them to
the organization through a series of workshops.  Essentially, we empowered
(or made them part of the process) all the business owners and content
providers and when there was a debate about a given issue I simply pointed
to the usability research and argued the user's side.

Without user data, it's very hard to convince stakeholders in a larghe
complex, and highly political, environment that a certain GUI element or
design philosophy is the way to go.

Good luck and try to do that early usability work that informs the business
and functional requirements.

-----------------------

Lyle Kantrovich

I've dealt with many political projects, and there's no silver bullet,
but here are some ideas and tactics you might consider.

1 - why are you "redesigning" - is there a shared feeling that there are
issues with the application?  Is there a shared view that some of the
app's issue might be related to the navigation.  Seek/establish common
ground within your team.

2 - although we usability folk love black and white, sometime the
"classic" bad design stories can lead us astray.  Just because multiple
rows of tabs or navigation items don't work for 99% of apps doesn't mean
they can't work in some cases.  Can you observe users of the current
system to prove that there are issues with the current nav?  What about
help desk calls or user complaints?

Basically the idea is to get the team to agree that something has to be
done with the navigation - then work on the "what" needs to be done
part.  Rather than pushing them toward 6 items, maybe you can get them
to agree on "fewer" and see how few items you can get to.

3 - Run a cheap and fast card sort - ideally with users, but if not,
then with the "best" internal folks you can find.  ***Try to move away
from "design by committee" scenarios.***

4 - As an "internal" I've run into situations where I'm not viewed as an
"expert" who owns design decisions.  A few things can help:  A) clarify
the roles of team members - aiming to delineate who is responsible for
design decisions  B) bring in an external "expert" to say the same
things you would say - they may have more credibility with your
stakeholders  C) Bring in external research from Forrester, Giga, NNG,
UIE or whoever.

Here are some that *might* help, (but might not):

Expose Two Levels Of Menus On Home Pages
http://www.forrester.com/ER/Research/Brief/0,1317,16469,FF.html

Site Menus Should Be Clear, Not Cute
http://www.forrester.com/ER/Research/Brief/0,1317,16433,FF.html

5 - often when a client is trying to have a whole bunch of scenarios on
a home page or application menu, it's because they didn't prioritize
audiences or tasks, and they end up not serving any audience or scenario
well.  Like you said: confusing.  If you can get them to agree with that
risk, you might be able to get them to ID top priorities (to keep) and
low priorities (to move - NOT lose) -- then you can debate the middle
ground...  The idea here is to get SOME common ground (teambuilding in
the process), and focus the debate on a more limited set of navigation
items or scenarios.

6 - take some time and do an analysis of the political lay of the land.
If you and your redesign are inflicted on the application owners, then
they may not be cooperating for other reasons.  Try to find out if they
are disagreeing for purely political reasons, or if they genuinely feel
that the navigation needs more that X number of things on it.  Work on
selling stakeholders as individuals rather than as a group - get some
support from folks.

And finally, this is something that I've used to greatly help me be more
successful:

7 - Re-assess your definition of "success."  Does it have to be
*perfect* in your eyes?  Do you have to *win*?  My working definition
for some time has been to get my project teams to do at least *one
thing* that is new/different related to usability (that they otherwise
wouldn't have done) on each project I'm involved with.  The goal is to
impact the project/product in a measurable way.  This often means that
projects aren't ideal, that I don't get everything I want, and that
there may still be significant issues with a product.  BUT, what has
come of it is that people see that my involvement and *new* methods
actually add value, that I'm easy to work with (pragmatic), and that
they want to work with me again - and then they are more open to doing
even more usability work the second time around.

The idea is: You can't win every battle, so approach each stakeholder or
product like a campaign - keep whittling away and you'll eventually win
them over.

Hope this helps...

Best of luck!

-----------------------

Cindy Lu -

I suggest you stop fighting with the owners of the system.  You will not
win.  If I were you, I would do the following:
1. Learn as much as you can about the system, business environment that this

system will be used and the users.
2. Learn the history of how the system was designed and evolved.  Listen to
what the current owners say about their designs. I am sure they are very
proud of it.  Write down the things you do not agree but you don't need to
tell them.
3. Ask the team what the best features of the system are
4. Ask the team whether there have been any complaints from customers,
clients, sales people or support people about this system.
5. Write down what you would like to improve the system.  Present to the
team.  Write down what ideas that the team or any member of the team
disagrees.  Go along with the team's decision.
6. Propose a usability study or interview with real users.  Design your
questions into the study. Get the facts.  Present the facts to the team.
7. If you have found severe problems either through your study or
observations, invite higher managers and present the problems with your
suggestions.  I am sure the team wants to make their system better.

I used to work in a large corporate environment.  I worked on billing,
ordering and account manamgent systems for over 5 years.  The worst project
to work on is that the manger designed the original system AND the manager
thought he figured out all the UI problems already AND the the manager
thought you didn't have enough domain knowledge to propose a useful
solution.  In this case, you can either work as a clerk under him, influence

him over time or find another job.

I hope it helps.

-----------------------

Karuna Venter -

You are in a really tough situation.  Whenever I've found myself facing a
Goliath and disagreeing with him, this is what I try to do:

1) Find some allies - get backup from some people who share your vision
2) Take some initiative - if Goliath can see where you're going with your
idea, he may find he's more flexible than he thought, so draw some pictures
to show how your idea might work
3) Try to let go of the outcome - you may not get your way, and in the big
picture, that needs to be OK with you
4) Pick your battles carefully - if you get the reputation of being
argumentative, you'll have a harder time next time - because this certainly
won't be the last time you see things differently from them
5) Remind yourself that two opposing sides only know they've reached a
decent compromise when everyone is unhappy

and finally

6) Remember that they hired you to do exactly what you are doing - seeing
things differently from the way they see it.  You have a background and
expertise that they value, at least in principle - so give them what you are
there to deliver.

Also - data really help, and in the absence of data, other peoples'
experience can be useful.  Show them the old vs. new Amazon tabs as
evidence, perhaps, or dig around Jakob N's site for usability rules that are
supported by his data and experience.  Bringing in the experts usually helps
people listen.

Hope this was useful.  Best of luck.