Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  November 2003, Week 1

CHI-WEB November 2003, Week 1

SUMMARY: Usability Presentation Ice-Breakers or Jokes

Leslie Carter <[log in to unmask]>

Leslie Carter <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:45:33 -0500

ORIGINAL POST:

Do you know of any good attention-getters for introductory presentations on
usability?  I'm looking for an interesting graphic, interaction or joke to
open a presentation and grab my audience's attention.  One I've used is a
PowerPoint slide with an airplane flying from the top left to bottom right
followed by a crashing sound to introduce the idea that aviation human
factors was a big influence on usability.

My advice - not to do this. Sometime back I experimented the images of
'Plane' and 'skyrise' buildings to depict something abstract, and got the
feedback that it reminded people 9.11 and they were destracted and
disturbed away from the whole idea. Don't show a plane crash to justify
'usability'. It may be negative and may bring some unforseen reactions
from your audiances, unless that's what you are targetting.

BTW, I would advice something entirely different to use - the "Quote".
People have said so many good things about this issue. Like this one is my
favourite - "Computers allow us to make more mistakes in less time than
any other human invention, with just a possible exception with Handguns
and Taquila" (not exact verbetim) and I don't remember the writer too.
Think about it, these quotes can set the tone really well.

Pradyot Rai [[log in to unmask]]

There's always dancing Jakob Nielsen...
http://www.perkigoth.com/index.php?/home/kermit/stuff/thedancingjakob/

Maureen E. Duffy [[log in to unmask]]

        You could always go with the tried-and-true
"Chair-Keyboard Interface Issues" jokes. I'm sure you have plenty
of anecdotal incidents you can fit into that category. Most of the
ones I've run into boil down to "R.T.F.M." or "Where the heck is
the 'Any' key?"
        But the real point is that with proper design, it's
possible to (I firmly believe) minimize such calls. Of course, I'm
still trying to get my company to buy into that philosophy but
there ya' are. ;D Some days it's almost enough to make me get back
into programming instead of specializing in Help files.

Chuck Kim [[log in to unmask]]

Have you seen http://www.ok-cancel.com/ ?

Mary S. [[log in to unmask]]

A colleague uses a gadget demo theme that works really well. She opens
showing a certain type of can opener - it's the "new" manual kind that
doesn't leave sharp edges when the can is cut. But it's quite difficult to
position, counterintuitive to use.

She hands participants the device and gets them to guess what it's for. They
can usually guess it's a can opener, but then she gives them a can to open
and they fail. So this thing looks like a failed design. ("Would you buy
this? Would this make money?" "No!")

Then she talks about the role of usability in the design process, including
identifying the need for affordances, change management, and so forth.

After they're armed with knowledge, she plays the "engineer" and shows them
how to open the can, explains the benefits ("see, no sharp edges, and you
can reseal the can with the top and stick it in the fridge"). The team makes
design recommendations on the gadget to help make its use and positioning
more intuitive, and advertise its benefits through its name, labeling,
stickers, packaging and so forth.

Quite effective. People always love the hands-on thing, helps them remember.
("Usability - oh yeah, they were the ones that could help me sell that can
opener!")

Susan Price  [log in to unmask]

----------------------------------

At FlashForward2001 in San Francisco I presented a talk about usability and
Flash to about 800 Flash developers. To start my speech I had them all stand
and close their eyes for thirty seconds. Not a sound in the room and the
screen
was black. At the end of the thirty seconds I told them that my
presentations
had loaded and that they could sit. It was very effective and it got a good
laugh.

Chris MacGregor [[log in to unmask]]

-----------------------------------

I usually try and find a site for a medium to large
size company that is so obviously unusable (multiple
frames, a patterned background, animated GIFs, etc.)

It's scary how easy these are to find even today.

Baron Lane [[log in to unmask]]

You might like my "perfect user" graphic - it's an elecamonglebat
(elephant-camel-monkey-eagle-bat for reasons that will become obvious
after you've seen it):
http://www.syntagm.co.uk/elecamonglebat.pdf

William Hudson [[log in to unmask]]
-----------------------------------

When I was doing presentations in the area of my PhD -
close to the area which has been called cognitive ergonomics,
but more particularly concerned with human error -
I used to use cartoons by Gary Larson. I had a stock of
quite a few - in fact I still have them. Devotees will
probably recognise them by their captions, among which...

"OK Baxter, if that's your game, I'll just reach over
and push a few of your buttons."
"Now this next slide, gentlemen, demonstrates the
awesome power of our twenty megaton ...
For crying out loud! Not again!"
"The fuel light's on, Frank! We're all going to die! ...
We're all going to die! ... Wait, wait. ... Oh, my mistake -
that's the intercom light."
"Through a gross navigational error, the Love Boat
steams into the Straight of Hormuz."
"Well there is some irony in all this, you know ...
I mean we BOTH lose a lens at the same time?!!"
"One bee!... One lousy little bee gets inside
and you just lose it!"
"Places never to set your electric eel."
"Mom said no sitting on the edge, Wayne."
"Washington crossing the street"
"How many times did I say it, Harold? How many times?
'Make sure that bomb shelter's got a can opener - ain't
much good without a can opener,' I said."
"Inadvertently, Roy dooms the entire earth to annihilation
when, in an attempt to be friendly, he seizes their
leader by the head and shakes vigorously."
some without captions, including the words
"DON'S DISCOUNT SHARK CAGES"
And one not by Larson:
"Darn these hooves! I hit the wrong switch again!
Who designs these instrument panels, raccoons?"

Beth Martin [[log in to unmask]]

--------------------------------------

When I've done presentations for training or just to promote the
concept of usability, it's usually been to people who are not familiar
with it.

I've used examples of wedding invitations (the tearoff kind versus the
multi-set kit that includes invitation, RSVP, etc. on separate pieces
of paper), hard to use products (for example, the Lifesavers candy
container that comes in a plastic version of a Lifesaver that's very
hard to figure how to open), and easy to use ones, such as the plastic
container with Doritos in it that fits into a car's cupholder.  That
gives people an idea of good and bad designs and allows me to ask the
audience examples they can think of.  I then segue into discussion of
web sites ... allow venting for poorly design web sites ... then segue
into my presentation.

If it's a technical audience, sometimes I'll include a discussion of
usability-related books which gives people an opportunity to look at
some references, but then also to discuss some usability problems
inherent in the books.  Or, if they seem like gadget geeks, ask about
their favorite or most detested gadget and why they feel that way.
That's also a good segue to discuss parallels with web sites, tools, or
applications.

Beth Martin [[log in to unmask]]