Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  November 2003, Week 3

CHI-WEB November 2003, Week 3

SUMMARY: combined studies for user requirements

"Haring, Arjan" <[log in to unmask]>

Haring, Arjan

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:26:08 +0100

Hi,

the question I posted:

I'm trying to come up with the User Requirements for our Quotation Software used by semi-independent insurance agents. I will use the requirements for a Customer (insurance agent) centered business case where I will make a case for the desired development in the years to come.

The most important questions that will answer are:

* who is the user and how does he/she work
* what is the culture and context of use
* why does the user prefer AXA (quotation software)

Methods that I want to use are really good questionnaires, (rapid) contextual interviews, (rapid) ethnographic field studies and some (lite) cultural probes. I will presumably shape the outcome in scenario's of use and personas that will be the fundament for the business case.

Does anybody have some experience with these (combined) studies? And especially in the financial (intermediary) branch of industry?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only got one reply, but I want to share it with you, because it has helped me a lot.

The reply came from Caroline Jarret ( www.formsthatwork.com).

Questionnaires
Start with open questions about what they currently use in the work, asking them to talk you through some real cases as they do so. I generally ask the user three cases: one that they consider to be 'typical', one that is 'easy' and one that is 'difficult', 'sensitive' or 'complex'. I find that it is fascinating to find out what counts as easy and what as typical, and these cases are the most useful for usability. It's also worthwhile to understand the other end of the scale and these cases are most useful for programming and system testing.
It should then be relatively easy to ask the goals question and more detailed questions about the AXA application.
It's also good that you will be limiting the use of questionnaires to the offices where you are doing ethnographic research, at least initially. Once you have built up confidence that the questionnaires are giving you results that have some good relationship with your observation, then you might consider a larger sample so as to get a feel for the views in offices that you can't visit. However, I'd be careful to limit the use of questionnaires to a maximum of 10% of the agents, because your response rate is likely to be much better if you make it clear to  respondents that they have been chosen specially and there aren't very many who have been chosen. Dillman explores this point in detail in his excellent book on questionnaires. (2001).

Interviews
My recommendation is that for the first few interviews, you treat the formal questionnaires as a basis for interview rather than simply administering them. This will allow you to judge whether the questions in them are appropriate for your purposes. You can then decide whether and how to administer them on other visits.

Ethnographic field studies
I'd love to have the chance to work alongside an ethnographic research expert myself, particularly so that I could find out whether there are any differences between traditional ethnographic research (which I perceive as having as its objective the accurate description of groups as they are) and ethnographic research for the purposes of usability (which I perceive as having as its objective distilling the needs of groups in a future situation).

Cultural Probes/ZMET
*(The cultural probes is something I had to come up with myself. I've tried to integrate the ZMET (Zaltman Metaphor Elicitation Technique), which is a new market research technique, with the idea of cultural probes. The result is a make-it-yourself postcard of "the insurance agent's professional self-image".)*
This could be a challenging assignment for a busy insurance agent. In the UK, insurance agents don't do a lot of artistic work unless they happen to pursue an artistic hobby. Over here, you'd have to be very careful to portray the exercise as something business-related and be willing to accept some negative reactions. I'd expect to get better results from a face-to-face discussion. Of course, the reaction of your clients may be different.

Requirements (Functional, Data, Environmental, User, Usability, Persuasive)
Generally I find that you get data from research, not necessarily requirements. There has to be a process of distilling the data, some of which is likely to be contradictory, into useful information and therefore requirements. Checking those requirements back with stakeholder groups is non-trivial and I generally find that it is important to use personas, prototypes, walkthroughs and other requirements animation techniques to help stakeholders understand what the requirements actually mean in practice.

Results
I like to pour lots of data into a spreadsheet and brood on it. I also like to use 'affinity groups' where you put each fact or observation on a yellow sticky and then group them. The second method is much better if you are working with a group of people and there is a good description of how to do it in Carolyn Snyder's book 'Paper Prototyping'. (don't let the title put you off, there's a lot more than just paper prototyping in there).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AXA The Netherlands

ARJAN HARING
RESEARCH
MID OFFICE

Graadt van Roggenweg 500
P.O. Box 30810  3503 AR Utrecht
Telephone: +31 (30) 219 76 76
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

This message is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged information, the disclosure of which is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient you may not read,
use, disseminate or copy the information transmitted. If
you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender and delete the material from any computer.
Dit bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor de (rechts)persoon
aan welke het is gericht. Het kan vertrouwelijke of
alleen voor deze bestemde informatie bevatten, die niet
mag worden geopenbaard. Als dit bericht niet voor u
bestemd is, mag u de ontvangen informatie niet lezen,
gebruiken, verspreiden of kopieren. Als u dit bericht
abusievelijk hebt ontvangen, gelieve u het te deleten en
contact op te nemen met de afzender.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com