CHI-WEB May 2004, Week 1

Manoj N <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 May 2004 16:13:32 +0530

Folks

I'd posted a query on the Usability issues involved in sending HTML
emails. Almost all responses favored plain text mails. Another option
would be to give the user a choice of receiving mail in plain text or
HTML. That said, there were recommendations, best practices on the usage
of HTML mails.
Thanks for all the responses, pointers & references; here's a summary -

An important usability issue is that some people do not like to receive
HTML mail at all, and you would be well advised to allow them to choose
plain text.

Elizabeth Buie
Computer Sciences Corporation
Rockville, Maryland
Whatever you do -- make sure you include a "remove" URL as opposed to just
a link (which will only show up as text on Mac Outlook - and be completely
non-functional).

Susan Lyons
Art Director, E-business
You also need to consider all of the webmail uncertainties with an HTML
email. Even though they are in browsers some are configured to not allow
CSS
or other styles and formats.

Mike
A wholesome set of pointers from Susan Farrell of the NN Group  -

I'm an advocate of text email with flowed  format, because it works best
cross platform and causes fewer security problems. That said, here are
some of my top recommendations for HTML mail:

* Give the user a choice, first and in each message, as to preferred
format (text vs HTML) if the user is subscribed or will get a series of
messages. I'm betting nobody wants HTML mail on their handheld device or
in Pine.

*Font size. What looks cute on a Windows machine in Outlook can be small
to the point of unreadability on Macintosh and Unix machines. Many if not
most email clients don't allow you to change font size on incoming
messages easily. Also, many people who read mail in browsers don't know
they can change font size.

* Colored HTML text is a flag for spam filters. To use colored text is to
risk having your message trashed before the recipient ever sees it. Same
goes for scripts. If you must use colored text, don't rely on colored
backgrounds to make your light-colored text visible. Use dark text.

* Don't put any essential information in images. Many people who will
accept HTML mail nonetheless don't display images automatically because of
web bugs, security, and load time.

* Left justify informational messages and forms and use fixed widths to
preserve layout. If a message looks broken it undermines trust in the
message. Fixed width should be around 65 characters to allow for several
forward characters as users pass the message around.

* Like any message, make sure it's visually scannable (use headings, push
keywords to the left margin, use lists instead of paragraphs when you
can), and ensure that the most important information is in the first
paragraph.

* Test your format for good printability. Some people always print email
that seems important. Try to get it all on one page.

* Remember that webmail services often surround messages with navigation
and ads of their own, making them larger and more confusing to look at.

* Don't put clickable advertisements next to the scrollbar.

* Provide a link to a web page where the message can be viewed in a
browser instead of the email tool.

Susan Farrell
Nielsen Norman Group

* Readers, Susan has also pointed to a link at the nngroup site which has
a couple of reports on email usability. You may check it out at -
http://www.nngroup.com/reports/
I haven't found too much information about usability rules for e-mails But
what I've been learning from designing emails for a network of advertising
sites is:
- Keep the most important content above 200px. I found that this's the
average of outlook, msn, and yahoo email apps.
- Keep the action button also above 200px. Sometimes I repeat the button
twice, one at the top and another at the bottom.
- Keep the file size below 20kb
- And for width I've been using 450-500px

Adriana Tavares
Interaction Designer
The first issue is "has your customer asked for HTML mail?" I use Eudora
and have not enabled HTML mail due to security issues.

Kathy
Just a quick note to tell you to place the images inline; if you have
people fetch images from your webserver, they'll look like webbugs. Also,
the rendering might be limited; can your email's layout transmit the same
message with no images, for example? They might be turned off by default.

Also, no JavaScript.

Luis Bruno
Look for an email service provider or emailing software that can send
multipart mime type email. This lets you send both HTML and text versions,
and the end-user's mail client will pick the version to show. The service
providers I've used in the past send mail in this format, and I've never
had trouble.

g Houston Maker '87
Web Producer
Dartmouth College
Kavya Ramachandran pointed to issues of accessibility and security
(something I hadn't even considered) with a "read my lips, only plain
text". Here's her post -

More than usability issues, there are accessibility and security issues.
Some of the browsers are not set up to read html, in such cases there
should be an alternative plain html versions. Unless you are forcing the
users to turn on html for emails, it is a good idea to provide plain text
as much as possible.
Denny gave an insight into how such mails are (mis)treated at the
corporate doorstep. Thanks Denny, will be wary the next time.

I think this transcends usability issues, but the Baylesian anti-spam
filters on our (and others) email servers, which 'score' email according
to various criteria to see if a mail qualifies as spam and is therefore
blocked at the server, tend to give bad points to HTML email. Not enough
to trash them, but it brings them about 50% of the way there. If your
newsletter gets a few more bad notes attributed to it,
it might not get through servers like ours.

Denny Adelman

That's about it. Our team had a good, long look at the suggestions and are
working on them. But as always, our best intentions run against a
deadline!
Thanks all ye folks
sincerely

Manoj