Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  May 2004, Week 1

CHI-WEB May 2004, Week 1

SUMMARY: Customizable IntrAnet homepages

Pat M <[log in to unmask]>

Pat M <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 May 2004 12:41:21 -0400

Just three responses, but one of them is very thorough.

One referenced the Nielsen Intranet reports, which I have and need to dig
through. The very thorough answer (from Simon Forrest) provides a lot of
detail and personal experience. Of particular interest are 1) the notion
that personlization is often requested, but rarely used and 2) how
personalization reduces the shared experience between, say, two people
viewing their homepages or a person viewing his/her homepage and the help
desk.

Both Simon's response and the Nielsen reference seem to indicate that one
should not be over-ambitious in approaching a customization/personalization
project.

Thanks to those who reponded! (If this triggers more discussion, please
post to the list and not to me - thanks.)

My original question is below, and verbatim responses follow. - Pat

 -------

Sent: 13 April 2004 20:54
Subject: C+S: Customizable IntrAnet homepages

Looking for information/anecdotes/experience with enabling customizable
intranet home pages.

Have you done this/investigated it? Any lessons learned you can share?
Technologies/methods used?

Reply to me and I'll post a summary.

Thanks! - Pat

 -------

Pat,

Just catching up with a backlog of emails, so I hope this anecdotal info
isn't too late.

Over the last couple of years, I've run a couple of intranet/extranet
projects with the same public sector client in the UK. The first one is
aimed at around 500 internal users and a similar number of external partners
- the second more recent one is aimed at just the 500 internal users.

In the first project, we specified customisable home pages based on
prioritising articles, news stories and event listings based on the user's
preferences. Each user could pick one of a number of thematic areas as their
home page when they logged in. For that home page (and for the main pages of
the other thematic areas), each user could select from a top-level taxonomy
under the three headings of articles, news and events. So you could say you
wanted to prioritise articles on topics 1 and 2, news on topics 2 and 3,
events on topic 3 only (or whatever set of choices suited you). This
provided a fairly granular way to prioritise the home page content. If there
was content that fitted within those preferred categories it would be shown
first - any remaining slots on the home page would be taken up with other
content ordered by date (most recent first).

In use, we found a number of issues:

1) For the vast majority of users, changing their preferences at all was
simply too much bother. They were quite happy to see the most recent
articles, news and events of any type and didn't bother to prioritise them.
(Note that if their choice of home page was not already filtered
thematically, this effect may not have applied - so their lack of interest
may have been at the finer level of granularity that we allowed and they
might have taken the trouble to personalise pages if there had been a single
home page with the personalisation at the thematic level).

2) The amount of new content generated was sufficient to bring new items to
each page every day, but not to completely change the set of items. We
showed the top five articles, news stories and events on each thematic home
page. As there were less than five new items per theme most days, everyone
got to see all of the items anyway. Prioritisation wasn't offering much of a
benefit - you could easily glance at the five news headlines, for example,
without worrying about ordering them.

3) For those that did change their preferences, the different order made it
slightly more difficult when talking about the system, particularly with the
help desk. This was an issue during the early rollout when people were
asking questions about the system and the view they had in front of them
didn't match the view of the people they were talking to. Some people
thought their view of the system was broken because it didn't match their
colleagues' view (having forgotten that they personalised it at some point
in the past).

4) When there were more than five items added in a day, those with a
personalised page saw a different set to those without. This made it harder
for people to discuss the top stories as not everyone shared the same
content - in effect, people were working in slightly different contexts with
different information.

In the couple of years since the application was rolled out, we've
simplified the personalisation options. However, there are still only a
small proportion of users who bother to change their settings - it only
takes a minute or two, but the benefits are clearly not sufficient to bother
spending even a couple of minutes on it.

We're just launching a second system to around half of the user base (a pure
intranet system to the 500 internal users only). This is built on the same
underlying platform and offers the same personalisation options. In this
case, however, we've switched off the personalisation altogether. We've
decided that the additional complexity and potential user confusion is
simply not worth the questionable benefit to a small minority. As the new
intranet is more of a corporate communications channel (rather than a
knowledge resource as with the previous site, which remains running for both
the internal and external users), we also wanted to ensure that all users
saw the same information - we wanted to make sure that discussions of
company issues and policy were conducted within the same context in terms of
the background news and articles that people would see.

From this, I'd draw several lessons:

1) Don't offer personalisation unless there's enough information to make
prioritisation or filtering worth the effort for the user.

2) Personalisation is often requested but rarely used - even by those who
most vocally requested it. I would always think twice (and then a third
time) before implementing personalisation. I would definitely postpone it to
a second or subsequent phase.

3) Bear in mind the loss of shared context when different people within the
organisation have different views of the information - especially from the
intranet home page, which is typically a key piece of real estate for
corporate communications. Accommodating divergent viewpoints is, of course,
not a bad thing - just be mindful of the effect and choose it when it
supports the company culture, not when it may splinter it.

4) Make sure that support staff are aware that their view of the intranet
may be different from that of other users - this can save a lot of
confusion.

Hope that's useful. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any
questions.

Regards,

Simon Forrest
E: [log in to unmask]
T: 020 8239 8636
W: http://www.conversus.net
B: http://simon.typepad.com

 -------

From a report by NNgroup - april 2003:
users accept default settings most of the time;
role based personalization will often suffice.

Rik Manhaeve
Belgium

 -------

Hi Pat

We're about to start adding this to intranet subsites for selected
audiences. The technology we're using is IBM WebSphere Portal Server.

Still too early to report much, but I'll be very interested in your summary
:-)

One of the challenges we're grappling with is how important it is to
provide persistent site navigation in the same way as our current "one size
fits all" intranet.

Cheers

Stewart Walker
User Experience Designer