Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  May 2004, Week 5

CHI-WEB May 2004, Week 5

SUMMARY: corporate style guides and standards

Jeff Horvath <[log in to unmask]>

Jeff Horvath <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 May 2004 13:53:08 -0500

Thanks to all who responded.  I've included my original query and a quick
summary of the responses below it.  The biggest recommendation seems to be
to be sure to get a strong guru/evangelist/advocate who will sing the
praises of the style guide and enforce it.

------------------

Dear Jeff,

I'm involved in so many wars with big insurance corporations, banks, etc and
days ago I wrote an article telling the problems I've found writing style
guides.

Its in Spanish but you can trasnlate with the Google Translator:
Here's the URL
http://www.grancomo.com/articulo.php?id_art=47

-------------------

I have done this twice for companies that I worked for. Generally this is a
documentation department task. A a quick and easy way to get started with
this is to find an established style guide that is very close to what your
company wants and use it as a guideline for creating your own. Many
companies use Microsoft's Style Guide as a basis for their own or just
accept their style as their own. You may want to check out what your
competitors are using. Putting together a style guide will not only make
clear a lot of blurry issues but it will also provide the legitimacy to the
standards that it sounds like you need.
If I can be of any help, let me know.

-------------------

I'm a big fan of putting style guides on intranets, rather than in written
form. This allows for easy maintenance (e.g., download the latest
templates); push features (such as pushing email to registered users with
updates); interactive demos; forums to solicit ideas for improvement from
employees; a way to keep tabs on who's using (or not
using) the site; etc., etc.

On the governance side, there should be a centralized policing function for
the intranet, especially at a large company. The standards group should
likewise be responsible for creating and launching a formal change
management initiative to communicate the guidelines and enforce them
consistently. Without this concerted, organized effort, people have no
reason to follow new guidelines. As for what goes into the change plan or
who's on the standards group, I could refer you to several useful books on
the subject. In the end, it has to have high-level participation across the
divisions you mention.

-------------------

The biggest problem I've seen with style guide adoption is getting people to
change their behavior by actually referencing the guides-- so all the effort
that goes into creating the guidelines is effectively wasted.

I used to work with a small company that sold a guidelines knowledge
management system -- but it requires that someone in the organization be
tasked with maintaining and updating the guidelines, which is often a tough
sell. The system is called GUIguide (http://www.guiguide.com) and is
prepopulated with some guideline sets, but in my opinion, its real value is
in its information architecture rather than in the supplied content. It's a
searchable and browsable system that people can effectively update, maintain
and access via their corporate intranets.

Both Progressive Insurance and Alltel were using GUIguide when I worked for
the company, so it's got a proven record for the insurance industry.

But no matter how the content is delivered, having someone in the
organization tasked with evangelizing and maintaining the guidelines will be
key.

-------------------

I was the "style guide enforcer" at SGI about 10 years ago.
I didn't write the guide, but I was in charge of evangelizing the
guidelines.
The quick answer is don't do a style guide and don't make writing the style
guide the end goal.

The real end goal is to have good and consistent web sites.  Your time is
better spent developing a toolkit or site templates that can be easily
shared.
In other words, build the style into the toolkit.  So, the engineers have to
make an extra effort to go "off the board."  Engineers are happy to have a
great toolkit/library or example code that makes it easier for them.
If you write a style guide, you have to still spend time convincing the
engineers to read the guide (which they won't do) and implement it from
scratch.
So, if you build a toolkit (or build the style into the toolkit) you are
working with the engineers, instead of against them.

Caveat: The down side of the "style-toolkit" strategy is that my visual
designer left, because there was a perception that me wasn't as needed after
it was done. ;-(

-------------------

Just to introduce myself, I'm an ISO editor, currently working on a
styleguide for a (very) large web app - the world's largest web application
I believe, at over $18bn.

Can I recommend ISO standards as a good starting point. Also, if you're
looking for content, many agencies have done this a million times, so they
tend to have standard templates they adapt - sounds like you have something
similar though, and maybe it's not your real problem.

Sounds like your real problem is adoption. That needs a guru-level champion
who's passionate enough to push them, also a user-centric approach to the
styleguide itself.

Let me elaborate; Something a lot of people forget is that the style guide
needs to be relevant to the people using it. We need to treat the style
guide like a product in itself, by thinking about who the audience for the
guide is, what they want, etc - applying all the usual usability stuff to
the style guide audience. There's an interesting paper on this by one of my
colleagues - see http://www.usability.serco.com/papers/useofguidelines.pdf.

-------------------

You say "they"are working on a new styleguide. Who are they? Web management,
branding, corporate, IT? That's important, because in my experience, you
need to get the buy-in from stakeholders and division managers before
getting a neatly bound styleguide out of the hat.
This is nothing new. Let them know what's coming, get their requirements in,
take them to a "before/after" usability test, if you can. You don't need to
adopt every opinion and wish, but they need to feel they were consulted.
That will definitely have an impact on the adoption of the styleguide. If
you don't speak to the right people at the planning stage, they will resist
it with bad will when it comes to allocating their time and resources to
implement - it will become a long bumpy journey.
Hope this helps.