SUMMARY: subscribing to a mailing list

DA <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Jun 2004 17:12:06 +0200

Two weeks ago, I asked the list for comments on using a 'mailto:' link
to subscribe to a mailing list instead of a more usual textbox/submit
form. I thank all who replied.

The majority of opinions supported the webform approach, but there were
several good reasons to want to use the mailto: approach.

My original question:
We gave a snippet of code to a client to put on his web page which
allows opting in to their newsletter mailings. With this method, the
visitor is required, of course, to type in his/her email address then
click 'send'.

The client has just asked us to re-do the same thing a different way:
provide a mailto link that would be clicked on, generating an email
window with a mailing list 'subscribe me'  message already formed. He
likes the fact that the visitor doesn't have to type anything at all,
just click on a link, then a 'send'. I also appreciate not having to
type in an email address in a web form, but wonder if opening a second
application to save a few keystrokes is good practice in this
circumstance.

The responses that supported my clients idea:

 From Ethan McKinney --
Many people have their e-mail client up most of the time anyhow. I've
noticed that for Outlook Express, clicking a mailto: doesn't start the
full application, showing Inbox and everything, but just creates a new
e-mail. OE also does it surprisingly quickly. Mozilla-based systems are
pretty quick on the draw as well

 From Terry Roberts --
An additional advantage of the client's proposal is that it provides a
little more evidence that the potential subscriber's address is real.
When a person types in an address, they could type anything -- errors
could be either pranks or typos.

 From Donna Tellam --
absolutely worth it... if not only to ensure that you get the correct
e-mail address.á Asking the user to type their e-mail address opens the
door for potential typos

The responses that questioned the mailto: method:

Adrian Howard --
I'd avoid it myself since some people don't use a local mail client and
rely on hotmail, gmail and friends.

and similarly, Patrick Weissert --
what if the user is on a public computer, where he cannot configure a
mail account? He will not be able to subscribe to the newsletter.

What if the user is at work, and cannot configure his private mail
account there, but wants to receive the mails at his private mail
account? He will not be able to subscribe to the newsletter.

and Julian Scarlett --
The client's method will only work if the user has a mail client
installed. What about if someone wants to subscribe from a machine in a
library, or an internet cafe, or at a friends house.

more measured, from William Hudson --
It mostly seems to work, but I have
had a few emails over the years from people whose browsers or email
clients cannot cope. In particular, be aware that machines for public
use (internet cafes, libraries and the like) typically do not have an
email client configured. People using these machines are doomed to fail
with an approach relying on the successful interpretation of the mailto
link.

Mandar.R.Pathak made several good points --
There are two aspects to this. First if at all you have a mailto link
pop-up open a email client then there has to be a email program
installed on the machine (like Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora etc.)
Many public machines do not have such programs installed by default.
Also the email client is generally configured to one email address
(although you can configure it for several domains I have not seen it
done that frequently by the not so savvy computer user)

Secondly the "subscribe me" email address could be a web email address
like yahoo.com or hotmail.com which is easier to give over the web
format rather than through the client email programs like outlook.

I generally categorize my newsletters to different email
addresses..depending on how much and how frequent I read them. I
strongly think that has become a general practice since everyone
now-a-days is subscribed to so many things and subscribing to one
default address would be very difficult to manage.

Hence I think the first practice of giving more liberty to the user
about the email address that he/she wants to subscribe to is more
appropriate than saving one click. Actions (submitting form etc.) on the
web and getting feedback on the web (saying you have been subscribed
successfully or email will be sent to you for final action etc..) is
more direct and less confusing than sending and email from different
application and getting no feedback for what user has done.

Elizabeth Buie --
I never use "mailto" links because it fires up the browser's email
function and I use a different app altogether for email.

If I'm presented with a "mailto" link I copy the address and paste it
into
the "To:" field of my email app.

For me, this is about user control.

Jan Erik Mostr÷m --
I think that the problem is that some email clients doesn't support this
feature. I think only setting the subject and address is standardized.

Kathy Gill --
1 -- the mailto is going to generate spam addressed to your client.
2 -- i believe the SOP is type address, press send
3 -- one of the reasons for that is many of us have a "list only"
address -- which is not the one which is going to populate a mail
client.

Richard Penn --
I understand there is no standardized way for a mailto link to fill in
anything but the 'to' address. There are proprietary extensions in
Internet
Explorer that let you do this, but the link is then inoperative
(returns an
error) in Netscape. This was about 6 months ago, things may have
changed. I
sure would like to be able to do this, so that my applications don't
have to
originate mail themselves (activating spam filters and the like) but
could
have the e-mail come from the user.

Jeff Johnson --
My only comment is that the client's proposed scheme would result in
their receiving vast quantities of spam, as net-spiders harvest the
address in their mailto link.  Your scheme produces no spam.

Finally, Franšois Jordaan raised several of the aforementioned points
and added --
Another argument is that users won't necessarily understand that they're
emailing a piece of software and not a person, and might add a message
or
instructions to their email, which of course won't get answered.

Thanking all again,
Denny Adelman