CHI-WEB  August 2004, Week 3

CHI-WEB August 2004, Week 3

Tania Lang <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:58:24 +1000

Thanks for all those that responded.  Here is a summary of responses I
have received on the issue of PDFs, accessibility and backwards
compatibility
Regards
Tania Lang
Peak Usability
Brisbane, Australia

Here is my original posting for context:

Tania Lang wrote:
> We are currently deliberating about what version of Acrobat we use to
> create PDF documents on our site.  We have a number of 'fact sheets' that
> our partners print off to give to customers. All our fact sheet information
> is also available in alternative format (html) on the site.
>
> Testing with our users highlighted the need to create documents using the
> latest version 6.0 which allows us to create more accessible PDFs as well
> as enabling links within the document which allow our users to link between
> our 'fact sheets' and the associated forms.
>
> The concern is that if we use the latest version to create PDFs (6.0), we
> may make them unusable for users with older versions of Acrobat reader.
> Even though 6.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, we understand that
> this is not always the case.  Even though users can theoretically download
> the latest version for free, often they are not aware of this.
>
> I am wondering how others have tackled this issue and whether you have
> experienced any backwards compatibility issues and which version people use
> to create PDFs

When I first put a version 6 PDF on our site I had several emails from
people insisting that it was corrupt. Even after installing the latest
version of Acrobat reader, some users still received an error message
since, as far as Windows was concerned, their old version was still
responsible for reading Acrobat files. Only after a reboot did the
problem go away.

I believe there is the option in Acrobat since to request Acrobat 3
compatibility. I do not know how well this work and what features you
lose, but you may certainly want to experiment with it.

Regards,

William Hudson
Syntagm Ltd
Design for Usability
US Toll Free 1-866-SYNTAGM
UK 01235-522859
World +44-1235-522859
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.syntagm.co.uk
http://www.designforusability.com

*************************
A year ago we investigated this issue for a corporate customer, and
recommended they standardise on Acrobat 5.

Acrobat 5 creates version 1.4 PDF files which offers improved
accessibility, web optimisation and security features. (Acrobat 4
created version 1.3 and Acrobat 3, version 1.2 PDFs.)

The above improvements are sufficient to recommend abandoning support
for pre-Acrobat 5.

I admit we have not yet examined the differences between Acrobat 5 and
6, although I strongly doubt there'd be enough reason to abandon Acrobat
5 support. The main differences I've seen has to do with the Reader's
user interface. And the name change.

You should be able to save PDFs with Acrobat 5 compatibility from Acrobat 6.

francois

Wheel Group, Beaumont House, Kensington Village, Avonmore Road, London W14
8TS

T +44 (0)20 7348 1000    F +44 (0)20 7348 1111
D +44 (0)20 7348 1049
www.wheel.co.uk

*************************
We had a problem with maps that were converted to PDF with Adobe 6 and
wouldn't print with Adobe Reader version 5.

Cheers,
Dey

*************************
I would go for the Acrobat 5 or even maybe 4, to be sure. I would point
out the
guideline of Jakob Nielsen to gp back two versions from the current one.

I would like to congratulate you for having the information available in
HTML
as well. This is the way to do it.

Even if the user has the possibility to download the new version for
free, they
may not know it (as you state). They may even not want to do it (it
takes time,
they don't know what can go wrong and how to solve it, they don't know
if their
computer can handle the new version ....)

Rik Manhaeve
Belgium

*************************
One of the major problems with PDF that I know of concerns accessibility
issues associated with the document format, but this is only part of the
problem. Even when users have the technology required to access
information presented in this format, there can be content elements
which have not received appropriate treatment to support accessibility
(like using structural formatting for headings, etc. or text equivalents
for images).

Here is my current method of making PDFs accessible online. For PDF
documents that cannot be converted to speech output that is readable by
Assistive technologies (like JAWS), and other PDF documents that cannot
be converted to speech output accurately, I convert them to alternate
formats and provide other info. In order to do this for each PDF
document I use the following method.

I provide:

1. The information in an alternative accessible format: RTF, HTML, or
text format.
2. A link to the appropriate plug-in.
3. A link to an accessibility plug-in or conversion site.
4. An alternative means of obtaining the information.
5. When feasible, information to be down-loaded is provided in a variety
of file types.

Here are the details:

For number 1 above if the PDF content is also in a Word file someplace,
I convert it to an RTF. If it isn't, I convert it to HTML at the Acrobat
accessibility site.

For number 2 and 3 above I use something like the following bit of HTML
for a PDF warning:

you do not have Acrobat you can <a
href="http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/main.html">download the
Acrobat viewer</a>from Adobe. This download is for people who do not
have Acrobat installed on their computers. It allows you to open and
view a <abbr title="portable document format">PDF</abbr> file.
Additional Adobe free tools are available to assist visually impaired
users at <a href="http://access.adobe.com/">access.adobe.com</a>. If you
need further assistance obtaining the information contained in these
<abbr title="portable document format">PDF</abbr> files please <a
href="contact.html">contact us</a></p>

For number 4, I post contact info (phone number/email).

For number 5 above if a Word or other file format is available, I post
it also.

I some PDF references that may be useful to you listed at:
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/accessibility#plugins

All the best,

Laura
Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN  55812-3009
http://www.d.umn.edu/goto/webdesign/

*************************
I suggest putting up a systems and software note, for easier use of your
site. With the links to the various sites for the software downloads.
Put it above the fold. Use a catchy name, direct them to a page with all
the software links. That way they cannot say you didn't warn them. And
you don't have to use version 4.

Most people utilize the software bundle that came with their machine and
don't update. Unless they are in the "business." Software is
unfortunately not like car oil, when an idiot light comes on, you add oil.
How many people have 20 minutes to 2 hours of their life free to
download and reload software. Know your market and cater to them.

You just need a painless solution. And unfortunately someone is going to
get their toes stepped on. It only took me about 15 times of being
thwarted of downloading pdfs and not opening them with my version 4-to
make me update to version 6. And I have a degree so I should be on top
of things eh?-Mere laziness on my part.

Hope this helps.
Ciao!

Chantelle Valentine-La Vorie