Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  August 2004, Week 3

CHI-WEB August 2004, Week 3

SUMMARY: Usability Issues Particular to websites of colleges and universities

Susan Tropeano <[log in to unmask]>

Susan Tropeano <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:19:25 -0400

The questions was:

I am interested if anyone can point me to usability issues that may be
particular to users of college and university websites. I'd be
interested in any recent papers or other resources on this topic as
well as any specific insight gained from experience.

There were not many responders to this question but those who did
respond gave me quite a bit of information.

Thanks to everyone, Susan

> From my experience as a professor and as the university usability
> consultant for three years, the biggest problem I saw was the tendency
> to for administrators and IT people to decide on terminology and
> labels with little or no input from students and faculty.  Two
> anecdotal experiences:
>
> 1.  The section of the student web site where they registered for
> courses, viewed their grades, etc. was call AIM (Academic Information
> Management system).  I made it a habit to ask student what that stood
> for, and of course, none of them could tell me, but they could tell me
> they had learned that's where they go to register, etc.  That is but
> one example.  When invited to be the university usability consultant,
> I had great plans to change all that, but things didn't work out to my
> expectations -- however, that is another story.
>
> 2.  I was part of a team that developed on-line grade submission for
> faculty.  The records office had some labels they used for grades in
> various stages from the previous system.  The faculty members on the
> committee complained that the labels didn't make sense to them.  So, I
> led a focus group of representative faculty, where we came up with
> some labels that made more sense to them.  After presenting my results
> to the Director of the records office, he simply said,  "I like the
> old ones better, so we'll stick with them."
>

> When you're dealing with a university you'd better not use the word
> "college," which pertains (in their minds) to a lesser
> institution.
>

> I work for the University of Houston, and we do two different surveys,
> three times a year (six total). In addition, I monitor all emailed
> requests for help and to advisors about classes or programs. Some of
> the things I've noticed:
>
> 1. A significant number of college students still use dial-up (our
> surveys show 20% and that number has not changed in 1 1/2 years).
>
> 2. They want to find instructor contact info online.
>
> 3. They're in a hurry.
>
> 4. They'll use the website if they can, instead of the phone (a shift
> that's occurred over the last three years).
> 5. They don't care about design / have low expectations for school
> websites (probably because so many are so poorly designed).
>
> 6. They access the web from several locations: home, work, school,
> friend's computer.
>
> 7. Don't understand https://.

(I'd love some more detail on #7 above.)