Help for CHI-WEB Archives

CHI-WEB Home

CHI-WEB  July 2008, Week 4

CHI-WEB July 2008, Week 4

Re: Online magazines vs print

"Mario E. Santoyo S." <[log in to unmask]>

Mario E. Santoyo S.

Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:04:32 -0300

Andrew I am researching hard data as well in the mean time I will
share part of the qualitative findings we had with a client on mine
whoise main site is the web arm of their print.

* online audience is not exactly the same off line one. Though onlkine
shares some users with offline the vast majority are pure web players.
We hae found this correlates with the followiing: offline you have to
pay to access print content while onine you do not enablibg you to
read content from different sources even the ones you are not loyal
ofline.

* users expect different content online. Depending on the media
subject it can vary. Ie. Last minute news along the print edition,
pointers to in depth content or other sources, enhancing assets to see
info in other ways: video, pics, audio.

* users expect new ways of engaging with the media. Again depending
oin subejct. Ie. Moderated comments on articles, forums, online chats,
author blogs, etc.

* users expect functionallity that boost their relation with the
content: most viewed content, most commented, scrap books, content
ubiquity (mobile phones, blackberries iphones, etc), alerts (rss sms
mms)

Along the line of the mag readers: I believe this feature is a low
budget one (you can develop a flash reader for example) and I
recommend not to engage on expensive studies or research. Instead
develop a low foot print solution , use it to let directors or
managment allow u to engage with other studies along the lines of the
other content and functionallity.

It all remains a definition of what u want to do with the web channel:
replicate look and feel of traditional channels or leverage the new
media to boost current "functionality"